2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Actually the WAPO  NABJ story on page one under that header was very strongly critical of Trump. No equivocation, no false balance.

NYT headline writer goes with:

"Trump Falsely Questions Harris’s Identity as Black"

better than usual.

Edited by gehringer_2

https://apnews.com/article/trump-black-journalists-convention-nabj-1e96aa530e88013ed6f577feaf89ccb6

Trump has repeatedly attacked his opponents and critics on the basis of race. He rose to prominence in Republican politics by propagating false theories that President Barack Obama, the nation’s first Black president, was not born in the United States. “Birtherism,” as it became known, was just the start of Trump’s history of questioning the credentials and qualifications of Black politicians.

He has denied allegations of racism. And after Biden picked Harris as his running mate four years ago, a Trump campaign spokesperson then pointed to a previous Trump political donation to Harris as proof that he wasn’t racist.

“The president, as a private businessman, donated to candidates across all aisles,” the spokesperson, Katrina Pierson, told reporters. “And I’ll note that Kamala Harris is a Black woman and he donated to her campaign, so I hope we can squash this racism argument now,” Pierson said.

Comments from campaign staff in 2020... four years ago.

Are we really debating this folks? Come on.

Edited by mtutiger

I just saw a good Harris commercial. She used powerful imagery of her as VP. Behind a podium with the seal. Talking to people. Showed a sluggish Trump looking disheveled and old and tired.  It hit me what a unique position she is in. Maybe unprecedented, definitely so in modern times.  She gets to run an incumbent campaign as VP without baggage.  Traditionally if a VP gets a nomination it’s after a bit of a primary fight.  Then you have to deal with fatigue, even in the best of situations. Nixon had no help from Ike, in fact Ike hurt him with his “give me some time and I will think of something” like when asked what Nixon contributed.  Humphrey had to distance himself.  Bush was in the best shape but had a bitter primary.  Gore was boring and had Clinton’s scandal to deal with.  Harris doesn’t have any of that. This worked out perfectly for her.  She can look like a president while campaigning because outside of a few cosmetic differences it’s the same.  The big plane. The massive secret service detail.  The seal. And we aren’t asking her to continue on with years 9-12 of an existing admin. She is a refresh after 4 years of something that’s been prettt popular.  We had a 2007 Ford Focus get us to our vacation spot and now we can exchange that for a 2025 Mustang to get us home. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, oblong said:

I just saw a good Harris commercial. She used powerful imagery of her as VP. Behind a podium with the seal. Talking to people. Showed a sluggish Trump looking disheveled and old and tired.  It hit me what a unique position she is in. Maybe unprecedented, definitely so in modern times.  She gets to run an incumbent campaign as VP without baggage.  Traditionally if a VP gets a nomination it’s after a bit of a primary fight.  Then you have to deal with fatigue, even in the best of situations. Nixon had no help from Ike, in fact Ike hurt him with his “give me some time and I will think of something” like when asked what Nixon contributed.  Humphrey had to distance himself.  Bush was in the best shape but had a bitter primary.  Gore was boring and had Clinton’s scandal to deal with.  Harris doesn’t have any of that. This worked out perfectly for her.  She can look like a president while campaigning because outside of a few cosmetic differences it’s the same.  The big plane. The massive secret service detail.  The seal. And we aren’t asking her to continue on with years 9-12 of an existing admin. She is a refresh after 4 years of something that’s been prettt popular.  We had a 2007 Ford Focus get us to our vacation spot and now we can exchange that for a 2025 Mustang to get us home. 

love this

8 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Yep.

Still don't get why the "Powers That Be" had to reshape America to the whims of a two-bit con man and will do so again if he wins.

Because if they win, first they get the power, then they get the money, then they get the women.

9 hours ago, Hongbit said:

My morning guy and I always point at each other and say 'YOU SWITICH THE SAMPLES" in our best Harrison Ford voice (and of course, you MUST do the hand gestures as well, it doesn't work without the hand gestures).     I'm on Provasic now, should I be scared? 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

The Kamala isn't black stuff must have been percolating around the right wing blogs because I heard somebody say it last week and quickly changed the topic.

Yep this has been a go to in the right wing fever swamps for about a week. The GOP method of attacking women with cats, childless parents, and those of mixed race sounds like a great strategy. 

9 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Yep this has been a go to in the right wing fever swamps for about a week. The GOP method of attacking women with cats, childless parents, and those of mixed race sounds like a great strategy. 

♫ Keep it comin' love, Keep it comin love.  Don't stop it now, don't stop it now, don't stop it now, don't stop ♫

Am I making KC & The Sunshine Band cool again?    Were they ever cool to begin with?   Anyway, the song is catchy as hell.    

This is all they got.   They were so immersed in the "he's too old" thing that they have no message and they're trying the she's too (whatever it is this week).       I think maybe Biden decided awhile ago that he wasn't running and he let them keep digging in.   That's Dark Brandon stuff there.      

As far as I know the "Dumb As A Rock" lady has never publicly talked about nuking a hurricane, drinking bleach to kill COVID or how raking leaves would prevent forest fires.      

And as far as them freaking out over how she identifies.   She has the right to identify as many different ways as she wants.  I mean, I identify as short and fat at the same time.............I can be both !

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Somebody I've never really heard talk politics much was gushing over how smart Kamala is last night and how surprised he was that she seems to be such a strong candidate. For what that's worth

Yes, but I will curb your enthusiasm a bit by saying the whole "smart" standard ain't what it used to be in the days of Trump, Tuberville and Louie Gohmert.    I mean, Chance The Gardner is a Rhodes Scholar compared to this bunch 

(and yes, I do believe she's really smart and they'll go from calling her stupid to calling her an elitist for being too smart, and then they'll move onto the next "But she's..(whatever) strategy......." 

To quote Mystic River (sort of) 

"Things lookin' any better on the policy discussion, Republicans?"