2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I do flip off every house with a Trump sign as I drive by.   It might be imature, but it makes me feel better.    I'd put a Harris sign in my yard, but I fear my tires might get slashed.    

A guy by me lives on the corner and has a flag draped on his garage, so that everybody cutting down jackson to avoid the light at the 3 way intersection sees it, along with a yard sign.   But he's a pretty good guy overall.

What I don't understand about the "Kamala isn't black" line is... who do they think this is going to affect in terms of voting?  Are black people going to say "Welp, she ain't one of us"?  I don't think so.  They didn't say it about Obama.  Are white people going to say "Well, voting for her isn't as noble as I thought, I will only be half woke"?  I don't think so.  Will racists be more likely to vote against her because a "halife" is worse?  Maybe that's it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

What I don't understand about the "Kamala isn't black" line is... who do they think this is going to affect in terms of voting?  Are black people going to say "Welp, she ain't one of us"?  I don't think so.  They didn't say it about Obama.  Are white people going to say "Well, voting for her isn't as noble as I thought, I will only be half woke"?  I don't think so.  Will racists be more likely to vote against her because a "halife" is worse?  Maybe that's it.

"It shows that she is a phony just like all the lefties.  That's what I like about Trump.  He is honest and straightforward. He's not a politician.  People just hate him because he posts mean tweets." 

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

The uniquely American thing about Halfricans is that they identify as black, because society also identifies them as black. As G2 says, Obama was half-white but no one ever talks about that. But that's exactly it: no one talks about the half white part because when anyone sees him, they think black.

I suppose if anyone wanted to split hairs about it, it could be said that Obama looks "blacker" and married a woman identified as black, whereas Kamala Harris looks less "black" and married a man people identify as white. But in the end, Kamala will be identified as black more than Asian, because America is obsessed with blackness and whiteness over anything else, for historical reasons nobody needs to be reminded of.

And the more Trump, Vance, and the surrogates hammer this ultimately pointless point, the more it's going to fire up people who are seen as unambiguously black to rally around Kamala and show up on Election Day. And bonus: because of the racist focus on her in the first place, it's going to also fire up most people of color of all backgrounds to rally around her and vote, too. And bonus bonus: practically no white people who are strongly inclined to vote Democrat anyway are going to peel off from her just because they are reminded of her non-whiteness. If anything, they're going to be extra motivated to make sure they get their vote in, because **** Trump and the Trumpublicans for focusing on this **** in the first place.

And if all this keeps up for the next three-plus months, in the end, that means Kamala is probably going to wipe the floor with Trump, and bring the House and maybe the Senate with her.

I think as of today, things are looking really, really good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So we had to “house-that-jack-built” this and were able to do so because of collective security and alliances.  Trump would have given up Delaware or American Samoa and cash considerations. 

Edited by romad1

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So we had to “house-that-jack-built” this and were able to do so because of collective security and alliances.  Trump would have given up Delaware or American Samoa and cash considerations. 

A bit more on alliances

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Scott Harris must haved worked the Brittney Griner for Viktor Bout deal. 🙂 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

A guy by me lives on the corner and has a flag draped on his garage, so that everybody cutting down jackson to avoid the light at the 3 way intersection sees it, along with a yard sign.   But he's a pretty good guy overall.

No way he can be a pretty good guy. 🙂 My neighbor is a retired postal worker and African American. He still has his Bidnen/Harris sign, said he will get his Harris/? sign when he finds one. We exchange veggies from our gardens. We talk politics all the time, has a key to my house so when we are out of town to let the pups out. 

9 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No way he can be a pretty good guy. 🙂 My neighbor is a retired postal worker and African American. He still has his Bidnen/Harris sign, said he will get his Harris/? sign when he finds one. We exchange veggies from our gardens. We talk politics all the time, has a key to my house so when we are out of town to let the pups out. 

This neighbor and I, when we get a snowstorm big enough to warrant it, will alternate who does the block.   Once we have me off when he saw me getting ready in my garage.  Told me to go back inside and have a beer.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

This neighbor and I, when we get a snowstorm big enough to warrant it, will alternate who does the block.   Once we have me off when he saw me getting ready in my garage.  Told me to go back inside and have a beer.

Nice, the media would make you think America is on the brink of a Civil War. So not true, people can still agree to disagree with out hating each other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pfife said:

It's gonna make folks like magaLOLic vote multiple times with high enthusiasm 

He can vote as many times as he wants since Indiana is already in the bag for Trump without him.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

This is why alliances matter. Very much matter.  

I am so happy for the families of tge hostages.  They’ll have their first night of peaceful sleep once they can hug their missing members. 
I can’t even imagine.