2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

24 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm starting to think whomever Ms Harris chooses as a running mate, he (or she) will mop the floor with Trump's guy

Ouch indeed.

Shapiro also demonstrates that, while I'm sure the Trump folks would like to weaken Kamala (and potentially Shapiro himself if he's the pick) by going after them on consistency or sincerity, it's an incredibly tough sell coming from a ticket composed of Donald Trump and JD Vance. 

Just objectively terrible messengers for that argument all around.

Edited by mtutiger

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Whatever happened to Jared Polis? I feel there was buzz around him several years ago. 

Too much of a libertarian streak and, to the extent that it (unfortunately) matters, his sexuality.

Today’s economic data concerns me in that it may be what gets Trump back on track with some of the conservative voters that he’s abandoned.    

MAGA has spent almost no time on core tenants of the Republican Party like the economy, national debt, and government spending, instead focusing on immigration, abortion, fake news, and general lib hating.   This has isolated more than just the never trump conservatives.  

It will become a big talking point for Trump if the economy slows down just a tiny bit more and we enter a technical recession. This is one area that can speak directly to the people that he’s ignored and probably hit some spots that will resonate with them.  I doubt he was ever planning on doing anything on his own to try to bring them back under the tent.  

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Today’s economic data concerns me in that it may be what gets Trump back on track with some of the conservative voters that he’s abandoned.    

MAGA has spent almost no time on core tenants of the Republican Party like the economy, national debt, and government spending, instead focusing on immigration, abortion, fake news, and general lib hating.   This has isolated more than just the never trump conservatives.  

It will become a big talking point for Trump if the economy slows down just a tiny bit more and we enter a technical recession. This is one area that can speak directly to the people that he’s ignored and probably hit some spots that will resonate with them.  I doubt he was ever planning on doing anything on his own to try to bring them back under the tent.  

2nd quarter GDP is already in at 2.8% so by the classic two down quarters paradigm you can't call a technical recession before the election, not that will stop the hollering if the 3rd quarter is down.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

2nd quarter GDP is already in at 2.8% so by the classic two down quarters paradigm you can't call a technical recession before the election, not that will stop the hollering if the 3rd quarter is down.

Sahm’s Rule was triggered from the data today and that is widely accepted early recession indicator.   But yes to your point, we are at least 6 months away even if any actual recession would happen.  

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The health of the economy has also been judged a lot more on prices versus employment figures over the last couple of years. Which is a bit of a curveball as well

Politically, I would be more concerned if Biden was still running... But this far, Kamala has been surprisingly close to Trump in polling on the economy (likely tied to the idea that she, not Trump, is the change candidate).

And their campaign hasn't shown much ability or interest in fixing that before perceptions harden

Edited by mtutiger

53 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Politically, I would be more concerned if Biden was still running... But this far, Kamala has been surprisingly close to Trump in polling on the economy (likely tied to the idea that she, not Trump, is the change candidate).

And their campaign hasn't shown much ability or interest in fixing that before perceptions harden

Haven't said a thing about policy outside of abortion, have they?  

First they called her dumb.    She's never suggested drinking bleach or nuking a hurricane

Then they actually went after her looks.    Really?  Kamala Harris is an extremely attractive woman.  

Then they went after her racial identity.     Well, she can be Indian sometimes and she can be Black sometimes - because she is both Indian and Black.   So she's allowed to do that.  She's got that cred.   

On the latter, they're like a dog with a tug-of-war toy.  They are not letting go of it.  The Democrats are pulling up the rope until their feet are off the ground and they are not letting go of it.   It's making their supporters cheer. The ones that would vote for him even if (or when) it's revealed he diddled a 12 year old on Epstein's boat.      The louder the cheer the better, right?     

The mindless, grinning bulldog by his side is finding new and creative ways to attack women at every turn.   Hey, you got white men locked up, Creepy McShillbilly, you'll probably get about 62-63% with them.  Scared, insecure white men who think this country is for them and nobody else and fear they'll be the minority compared to the collective "them" (that should happen about 2036 or 2037 and that'll be a great day, because you all had 250 years to run this **** and you did a terrible job, gonna be someone else's turn soon).   But suburban women and young voters are going to decide this election - much like it did with Obama.   Trump would win the Woodstock 99 crowd, but the Lilith Fair made much more money and didn't set everything on fire and roll around in their own feces, like team Dump is doing now.  .   

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

There's a part of me that questions whether he made that up... Which seems even worse when you think about it lol

yeah, I think he made it up and it is probably worse.  Trying to impress MAGAs and Trump by saying he told his kid to shut the hell up is really messed up.  

US bases in Japan will be attacked in the opening hours of a PRC invasion of Taiwan.   That drags Japan and the US into the war together.   I really hope they don't.  I would prefer to get this past conscription age for my kids.