2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

The polls are now fake again in Trumplandia

this is just more proof, as if any is needed, that opinions within groups are fixed, the variability in turnout for each group is going to swamp any error in assessing each candidates standing within a group or any movement of people from one cohort to another. And each pollster is can do nothing more than guess how turnout is going to break - it's very hard to survey what people are actually going to do vs what they say they intend to do.

56 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

... A certain segment of America that has their hearts filled with hatred.

A certain segment does, but it's not damn near 50%.  I know you guys hate the both siding, but the failure of both sides and how they have done politics over the past 30 years, plus the change of MSM and how politics is covered is why a large portion of good people are not voting the same way as you, not just because they are all hateful people.

25 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

A certain segment does, but it's not damn near 50%.  I know you guys hate the both siding, but the failure of both sides and how they have done politics over the past 30 years, plus the change of MSM and how politics is covered is why a large portion of good people are not voting the same way as you, not just because they are all hateful people.

yeah - there are a lot of hateful people running the MAGA express but I agree that the followers are mostly just normal folk. They do seem to have a very high tolerance for cruelty to immigrants though. They may be decent folk but there is a definite level of conditioning to at leat that one rather incompassionate stance.

13 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-electric-vehicles-elon-musk-endorsement-2024-8

And just like that, electric vehicles are cool and everyone should get one.

I think this one is going to hurt him.

If Trump can't protect their F150 Supercrews, then the whole thing has been a sham all along. There are going to be a lot very demoralized Bubbas out there over this one.

Seriously, this a huge walk back on holding back the tide of culture they don't want to see. I know Trump lusts after Elon's money and he wants the support on Twitter, but I think this is going to be a huge unforced error with the base.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, ewsieg said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-electric-vehicles-elon-musk-endorsement-2024-8

And just like that, electric vehicles are cool and everyone should get one.

Burying the subheadline ledes—still telling people to hate Biden for it, but admitting he’s supporting it because it’s quid pro quo:

• Donald Trump said at a rally on Saturday that he supported electric vehicles because Elon Musk endorsed him.
  • But he also criticized EV infrastructure and Biden's EV mandates.
  • Musk has publicly backed Trump recently but denied a rumored $45 million donation.

Trump's flip flop on Crypto did not hurt him

Trump's flip flop on TikTok did not hurt him

Trump's flip flop on no issue hurts him

Trump's flip flop on EVs will not hurt him

MAGA and Trump stand for nothing but anger and hate and division - at anything, at something, at nothing

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

most media won't cover this because it is not "new" in that we all know DonOLD's position on any issue can easily be bought

I did not realize they cheered after he said it. What were they cheering for? It couldn’t be because they really want electric cars after all but couldn’t because Mr. Trump Sir hated them but now he likes them so it’s OK to get one, can it? I think it’s more like they were spacing out and heard “blah blah blah blah Elon supports me”.

Perhaps 80% of those clapping were paying attention to something else like their phones, heard people start clapping, and then they started clapping in response not knowing what it was for.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I did not realize they cheered after he said it. What were they cheering for? It couldn’t be because they really want electric cars after all but couldn’t because Mr. Trump Sir hated them but now he likes them so it’s OK to get one, can it? I think it’s more like they were spacing out and heard “blah blah blah blah Elon supports me”.

Perhaps 80% of those clapping were paying attention to something else like their phones, heard people start clapping, and then they started clapping in response not knowing what it was for.

Actually, it's as simple as:

"Our Beloved Dear Leader Trump opened his mouth and... said something or other..."

CLAP!!!

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Trump's flip flop on Crypto did not hurt him

Trump's flip flop on TikTok did not hurt him

Trump's flip flop on no issue hurts him

Trump's flip flop on EVs will not hurt him

MAGA and Trump stand for nothing but anger and hate and division - at anything, at something, at nothing

could well be, but OTOH those other things are just talking points, they don't cut close to home. They aren't sitting in your driveway being the object of your affection everyday. Maybe it's just that in MI people are more vehicle crazy in all directions, but I tend to see that IC pick-up as a pivot point for the whole "I'm not some kind of wimpy urban librul" consciousness. Or maybe even Bubba is already resigned on the issue since he probably had to settle for a sissy turbo 4 instead of a manly V-8 in his last buy. 🤣

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Because for the true MAGA's, it's a cult.  You'll never convince me different, but I still think if Pelosi and Schumer did nothing but claim Trump was the smartest, brightest, most amazing man/president they had ever met and got all democrats to go along with it, we'd have universal health care, would have had a bigger infrastructure package than we got with Biden, would have had established a path to permanent legal status, etc.

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Because for the true MAGA's, it's a cult.  You'll never convince me different, but I still think if Pelosi and Schumer did nothing but claim Trump was the smartest, brightest, most amazing man/president they had ever met and got all democrats to go along with it, we'd have universal health care, would have had a bigger infrastructure package than we got with Biden, would have had established a path to permanent legal status, etc.

Agree 100%. 

6 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Or Trump would have just welshed on the deal when a big donor that didn't like it made him an offer on a hotel deal. The thing that separates Presidents on both side of the aisle who get things done from those who don't is whether they can be trusted in a negotiation, and if you look up 'untrustworthy' in the dictionary Trump's mug will be staring back at you.

10 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

LMAO, no, that wouldn't have happened.