2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm kind of liking Walz. I'm pretty sure the decision has already been made. 

Have no idea which direction she will go, but Walz' rise in this competition from relative obscurity is impressive regardless of who she goes with.

32 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Because for the true MAGA's, it's a cult.  You'll never convince me different, but I still think if Pelosi and Schumer did nothing but claim Trump was the smartest, brightest, most amazing man/president they had ever met and got all democrats to go along with it, we'd have universal health care, would have had a bigger infrastructure package than we got with Biden, would have had established a path to permanent legal status, etc.

If the Republicans did nothing but claim that Biden and Obama were the smartest men in the world, we would we have had universal healthcare and and a bigger infrastructure package.  If we could all just get along, it would be nirvana.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 1

Surprised if Kelly didn't make the final cut, but Walz and Shapiro have been at the top of my list. if your are already blue,  Shapiro is fun to listen to when does stuff like take apart Vance, but in a general election for Pres Walz's less confrontational/down home style may play better to a wider audience. If they think they have PA without Shapiro, I would pick Walz.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If the Republicans did nothing but claim that Biden was the smartest man in the world, we would we have had universal healthcare and and a bigger infrastructure package.  If we could all just get along, it would be nirvana.  

I don't know that Eric is right on this (he honestly might be).... but the idea that for our government to function, it requires the political opposition engaging in flattery and obsequiousness of a President who appears to be a malignant narcissist... that's just not a way to run a country regardless.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I don't know that Eric is right on this (he honestly might be).... but the idea that for our government to function, it requires the political opposition engaging in flattery and obsequiousness of a President who appears to be a malignant narcissist... that's just not a way to run a country regardless.

I think he may be right too, but I don't think Trump is more able to make that kind of progress than other presidents. 

I don't think our government function requires flattery of any President, let alone a turd like Trump.  I do think we would do better with more cooperation in general.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think he may be right too, but I don't think Trump is more able to make that kind of progress than other presidents. 

I don't think our government function requires flattery of any President, let alone a turd like Trump.  I do think we would do better with more cooperation in general.  

I definitely want more cooperation, but from a policy perspective, I'd like two opposition parties who actually push and pull against each other, in good faith, as that often leads to the best policy outcomes.

Part of the issue with Trump is that, due to the nature of his personality, it's impossible to really create that situation because he takes everything personally and can't get past his grudges. Because, though he's not diagnosed, he shares a lot of traits of someone who is a narcissist

The part of me that's skeptical of Eric on this is the idea that (speaking from experience) you can never be perfect forever with someone with that personality issue.... you'll always slip up and things will inevitably turn toxic. You cannot win. I'm sure that would have happened even with a different initial strategy to dealing with Trump when he first took office.... and it's why it's really not a viable way to run a country IMO

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I definitely want more cooperation, but from a policy perspective, I'd like two opposition parties who actually push and pull against each other, in good faith, as that often leads to the best policy outcomes.

The first key is to get back to where debates are about how to cope with reality, rather than what reality is. You can argue about the former with good faith, arguments about the later too soon take on religious character.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Or Trump would have just welshed on the deal when a big donor that didn't like it made him an offer on a hotel deal. The thing that separates Presidents on both side of the aisle who get things done from those who don't is whether they can be trusted in a negotiation, and if you look up 'untrustworthy' in the dictionary Trump's mug will be staring back at you.

Yeah, the idea that Trump would be the people's champion against the Russian mafia and organized crime and sleazy corporate interests is laughable on its face.

49 minutes ago, pfife said:

If she really cared about unifying the country, Vice President Kamala Harris, Esq.  would select Donald Trump or JD Vance or Mike Pence.

Well if if the was Pence, they'd have to make sure Karen Pence was eligible for a top security clearance since Mike wouldn't able to talk to his boss without her in the room....

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There goes Chris Evans again.  Dirty move to lift this from some girl that originally posted the idea 10 days ago and play it off as his own without crediting her.   

Either way they are both wrong.  

Trump absolutely knows the difference in the homonym.   It’s his cult of idiots that have no idea.  It’s an easy play on words to lead them to believe even more ridiculous **** as being true.  The guy has become an expert at twisting words around to rile up his pack of morons even more.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

My only point with Trump being able to do it is that the democrats could play him to get what they want and at the same time, republicans are too afraid of him to go against him.  Republicans praising Obama wouldn't have done crap because 1) praising Obama wouldn't have gotten him to agree to republican ideas and even if it did, 2) democrats wouldn't have voted for it.

I could see it though back in his first term, Pelosi speaking "President Trump, so this is off the record right? Ok, so you know I just have a D next to me so I can win in California, but really I'm here like everyone else just to make a buck and right now, the CEO's at the largest tech companies in my district say they would employ more folks if it wasn't for health care costs.  We need to move this burden away from corporations, it's just not fair to them and if we go through with this, every CEO will praise you for it.  The press on it will be astounding.  So we have this report from an economist...."  "So no more" interjects Trump "I don't need the details, you're right, it's unfair to burden our corporations with this, send me the bill and let me know who gets in your way.  They'll face the biggest primary of their life, it will be so big, just the biggest."