2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This obviously is not true...

I mean I laugh at a thought and I am qouted and held for questioning. LOL I know me the poor victim, no worries. I will still be here just will stay out of the mission at hand thread. I wouldn't want a credentialed public servant whispering into the ear of SS Jersey some twisted truth that "he found a threat on this message board see. Yeah you might wanna have the goons check on him". That would be a book I would read.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I mean I laugh at a thought and I am qouted and held for questioning. LOL I know me the poor victim, no worries. I will still be here just will stay out of the mission at hand thread. I wouldn't want a credentialed public servant whispering into the ear of SS Jersey some twisted truth that "he found a threat on this message board see. Yeah you might wanna have the goons check on him". That would be a book I would read.

are you ok?

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This obviously is not true...

This is a right-wing trope. “You’re criticizing what I’m saying, you’re not agreeing with me, oh my god, I’m not allowed to have free speech anymore!” It’s essentially the same thing as when right wingers accuse any news organization that’s not in the tank for Trump is being part of the biased leftist MSM trying to destroy America.  There are callers in to Washington Journal accusing C-SPAN of that literally every week.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Persecution complex, along these lines:

I know only that his behavior has gotten both obnoxious and defensive toward me in particular.   I threw some daggers his way as well.  If he wasn't scouring all my posts from this forum and the old forum for mistakes or ammunition to use on me, I'd be surprised at this point.   Beyond your usual forum flame war?  Nah, not yet.  

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I know only that his behavior has gotten both obnoxious and defensive toward me in particular.   I threw some daggers his way as well.  If he wasn't scouring all my posts from this forum and the old forum for mistakes or ammunition to use on me, I'd be surprised at this point.   Beyond your usual forum flame war?  Nah, not yet.  

The confusion comes from being so embedded inside that they honestly can’t acknowledge the obvious things everyone else can see.

• Like 1

It is probably true for most people, that whether consciously or not, they first react emotionally to some question, then attach themselves intellectually to some rational arguments in support of what they feel about it. Then if/when they enter into some kind of dialogue about it,  maybe their mind changes or they think the arguments they adopted remain strong enough that they hold to their position. But there a process  (a dialectic if you will) where terms get defined and points of agreement and disagreement and fundamental premises are stated. That is sort of the ideal level of an integrated human intellect.

What I think we see more and more of today is with social and media segregation the second part of the process never gets off the ground for too many. They aren't prepared to go beyond their negative emotional response to something and make any defense of why what they are feeling should be justifiable to anyone else who disagrees. There are kindred spirits in their immediate circle who validate them and that is enough.

Thus to reject someone's feelings becomes the same as not allowing them their argument. Both sides play to this, but conservatism, being based on resistance to/fear of possible unwelcome consequences of change has a natural predisposition to play to fear above all other emotions, making it far more prone to this kind of elevation of emotion over rationality. For me to come to this conclusion is doubly ironic because in my political youth, it was conservatives like William Buckley who were often the calmer more rational voices as opposed to the supercharged emotion of the anti-war movement. But in the long run I've realized the '60s were the anomaly in that regard. The atavistic fears of conservatism were there, they were just disguised with more sophistication.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1