2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

22 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Guessing a lot of people are coming from Minnesota. 

Yup. Minneapolis is less than an hour from Eau Claire- closer than any large population in WI. But it's clever strategy. If the start up had been a little rocky, the campaign would still have a packed venue to show in a competitive state and 90% of Americans have no clue about the finer points of upper mid-west geography. Given the response in Det it appears they didn't have to worry.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yup. Minneapolis is less than an hour from Eau Claire- closer than any large population in WI. But it's clever strategy. If the start up had been a little rocky, the campaign would still have a packed venue to show in a competitive state and 90% of Americans have no clue about the finer points of upper mid-west geography. Given the response in Det it appears they didn't have to worry.

I have a lot of relatives that live in the Twin Cities and have driven there many times. I have been through Eau Claire quite often. Western Wisconsin is a nice area. Underrated place. 

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, If anything, Texas is always further away than it appears.

It’s been inching farther left ever since W left office. Texas was closer in 2020 than Minnesota. Texas also ranks last in voter turnout. It has the same demographic makeup as California. If Hispanics turned out at the same rate as whites, it would be a blue state. Now you add the democrats moving into the state from places like California, and it’s moving to the left. Dems always write off states. I don’t think many people thought Georgia was going to flip. I would like to see some quality polling of Texas. 

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, If anything, Texas is always further away than it appears.

Texas' movement has tended to be somewhat untethered by national margins (similar to Georgia), so it wouldnt  surprise me if landed closer than 2020. Though I agree she won't win it

Ethan's point does matter though if you believe there will be a gap between Trump and Cruz tho... A close Trump win could end up being a close Cruz loss if there is a gap.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I have a lot of relatives that live in the Twin Cities and have driven there many times. I have been through Eau Claire quite often. Western Wisconsin is a nice area. Underrated place. 

Spent a bit of time along the "River Road" even eastern Iowa is nice country. Sorry to hear that Brietbach's had burned and closed a few years back.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Texas' movement has tended to be somewhat untethered by national margins (similar to Georgia), so it wouldnt  surprise me if landed closer than 2020. Though I agree she won't win it

Ethan's point does matter though if you believe there will be a gap between Trump and Cruz tho... A close Trump win could end up being a close Cruz loss if there is a gap.

Dems are always defeatists. Texas isn’t going to flip on its own. It’s got enough Democrats to be a blue state. Dems need people on the ground like what Stacy Abrams did in Georgia getting these people out. It’s one of the lowest turnout states in the country. I would send Walz there once or twice for a rally with Allred. Once you flip Texas, the republicans have no path to winning.