2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, I've been wary about entirely attributing this purely to a honeymoon period given how much Biden's struggles in the polls prior to leaving the race were attributed simply to base enthusiasm issues. 

Don't mean this to downplay Harris' rollout, because it has more or less gone about as well as it could have given the circumstances, but if you eliminate the issues with base consolidation, what is happening now is kind of what you would expect to happen.

Biden's bad polling I think had way more to do with his age than anything else.    

I just heard a clip of jventure capitalist jv Vance say Vice President Kamala Harris cast the deciding vote to... raise interest rates. 

I missed she was on the Federal reserve with the deciding vote

Okay,  Mr. Trump.............I know it's strange, but it's referred to as "smiling".   You take the two sides of your mouth and curve them upward.   I know it will hurt as you practice because you've never used those muscles before, but people tend to like it.   It usually comes after pleasant or happy thoughts and we found some really good footage from Nazi marches in the 30's for you to watch, but yes, a lot of people do this "smiling" thing and we really think you should do this the next time you think about posting something. 

c8848e81afa88a42bd4dcdacc966289e.png

Trump going to a rally this week in Bozeman Montana will really help him connect with voters in the midwest.  I mean all those rich folks in Bozeman really do know how hard it is to make a living in the suburbs of the Great Lakes region. 

14 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Sorry, can't seem to embed a tweet,  but this one made me laugh.

"MAGA is referring to Walz as "Tampon Tim.

I mean, he's definitely going to stop any chance of a red wave."

Keep it up.   Keep alienating women.   I know it's easy for them, as it's a natural state for them.

The Trump campaign doesn’t seem to be trying very hard at the moment.

Are they going through the motions like they’re cheating in a game rigged for them to win or is it just the opposite and they know they’ve already lost and there’s no point in full effort.    

Could also be a third option that they just suck and can’t help but doing dumb things.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Are they going through the motions like they’re cheating in a game rigged for them to win or is it just the opposite and they know they’ve already lost and there’s no point in full effort.    

Could also be a third option that they just suck and can’t help but doing dumb things.   

I think they are just not very smart or good at this. What worked the previous 2 times isn't working anymore.  2016 was 8 years ago. People are bored with that now. I've said this before but Harris is a great position that's unique.  Both an incumbent and a fresh face.  The nation was prepped for a boring rematch of two old white guys that showed and spoke their age and regression.  Now you have a something else. It's a breath of fresh air to most of the country. That has left Trump's people scrambling as they have to change everything.  They are stuck with Vance.

28 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The Trump campaign doesn’t seem to be trying very hard at the moment...    

They're stooooopid and have no idea which direction to take.

Everything that they've tried so far just makes them look MORE STOOOOOPID.

"The Fascist Moron and Couch Weirdo" ticket...

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think they are just not very smart or good at this. What worked the previous 2 times isn't working anymore.  2016 was 8 years ago. People are bored with that now. I've said this before but Harris is a great position that's unique.  Both an incumbent and a fresh face.  The nation was prepped for a boring rematch of two old white guys that showed and spoke their age and regression.  Now you have a something else. It's a breath of fresh air to most of the country. That has left Trump's people scrambling as they have to change everything.  They are stuck with Vance.

Trump actually had professionals running his campaign the first time. He was also able to stay on message and offer simple solutions like build a wall. Now the campaign is incompetently run and he riffs about Hannibal Lecter. 

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

Nikki Haley has since boarded the "Trump Train".... but her comment back during the winter that the first party to ditch their 80 year old nominee would win seems prescient in retrospect.

Regarding 2016 being eight years ago, aside from people possibly being tired of the show, demographics change as well... generational attrition has happened since then. Millennials and Gen Z are going to make up a larger piece of the electorate in 2024 and, on balance, these aren't groups that are more favorable to Trump than those they are replacing in the electorate. The suburbs are also much different over the last 8 years, both in terms of how they vote and in terms of how they are diversifying (both in terms of age and ethnicity)

Not saying that everything is sunshine and rainbows for the Ds, certainly think concerns with Latinos and younger men remain.... but it's just hard to compare 2016 to now. It's an entirely different world.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Trump actually had professionals running his campaign the first time. He was also able to stay on message and offer simple solutions like build a wall. Now the campaign is incompetently run and he riffs about Hannibal Lecter. 

His campaign this year is a mix of competent and incompetent... the people at the very top (Wiles and LaCivita) are probably better than either of his first two runs, honestly.

But the rest of the operation leaves a lot to be desired, and the candidate is almost impossible to manage in terms of keeping on message.

25 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

His campaign this year is a mix of competent and incompetent... the people at the very top (Wiles and LaCivita) are probably better than either of his first two runs, honestly.

But the rest of the operation leaves a lot to be desired, and the candidate is almost impossible to manage in terms of keeping on message.

Doesn't matter how good the people at the top are.  The candidate won't listen to them anyway.  He knows better than everyone.   They can't control what he's going to say and do.  It's total chaos.    The reason they are acting like this is for the first time in 8 years, every time he farts something it isn't the top story anymore.  The media has turned their attention away and I think he's in shock.      

So he and JD just go on the attack and some of their attacks are only going to play with the alread-converted.    The rest of America is kind of sick of that stuff.   

But Trump just doesn't and can't connect with the young vote (and Biden wasn't either).    The term is Youthquake and he's an old brick building with a stiff foundation.    Kamala is modern, sleek, youthful, energetic, joyful - all the things he's not.  Walz is folksy, in a real way, something Shady Vance can't even fake.   

All their eggs were in the "He's Too Old" basket and now Trump is the basket.    

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I am worried that they are Al Capone in The Untouchables sleeping through trial because they have the judge and jury on the payroll, so they are not really interested in either the popular vote or the EC totals, because Congress will not certify EC results because of "the fraud" and Congress will vote him in as POTUS.

Now, no one really knows what the composition of the 119th Congress will be when they are sworn in Jan 3, 2025, but GQP will probably control more states than the Dems, and that's all they need to pull this off.

Edited by RatkoVarda
119th Congress
  • Like 1