2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

59 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I am worried that they are Al Capone in The Untouchables sleeping through trial because they have the judge and jury on the payroll, so they are not really interested in either the popular vote or the EC totals, because Congress will not certify EC results because of "the fraud" and Congress will vote him in as POTUS.

Electoral Count Reform and Presidential Transition Improvement Act of 2022

The law clarifies that the vice president's role in the counting of the electoral votes is "solely ministerial," with no power to "determine, accept, reject, or otherwise adjudicate or resolve disputes over the proper list of electors, the validity of electors, or the votes of electors."

Any objection made by senators or representatives during the counting of the electoral votes must be made in writing and signed by at least one-fifth of the senators and one-fifth of the members of the House of Representatives. Previously, an objection required the signatures of only one member of each chamber.

The law also limits the grounds for an objection to one of the following:

The electors of a state were not lawfully certified
An elector's vote was not "regularly given"

There's more to worry about at the state level than there is in terms of the actual Congressional certification IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

I am worried that they are Al Capone in The Untouchables sleeping through trial because they have the judge and jury on the payroll, so they are not really interested in either the popular vote or the EC totals, because Congress will not certify EC results because of "the fraud" and Congress will vote him in as POTUS.

Now, no one really knows what the composition of the 119th Congress will be when they are sworn in Jan 3, 2025, but GQP will probably control more states than the Dems, and that's all they need to pull this off.

That's why Trump isn't campaigning.

He actually doesn't have to as he plans on "winning" the election through violence, Congress, the Supreme Court or all three.

25 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not sure this is the best idea.   

if they do it right, should be OK. Need to hit the right notes: passing of the torch. Decency. and for lack of a better word right now, sympathy. bait MAGA into demeaning and degrading someone who did the honorable thing, further alienating normals

also: sacrifice: Country over party; country over personal ambition; and a recap of all the great things he has gotten done

Edited by RatkoVarda

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The law clarifies that the vice president's role in the counting of the electoral votes is "solely ministerial," with no power to "determine, accept, reject, or otherwise adjudicate or resolve disputes over the proper list of electors, the validity of electors, or the votes of electors."

Any objection made by senators or representatives during the counting of the electoral votes must be made in writing and signed by at least one-fifth of the senators and one-fifth of the members of the House of Representatives. Previously, an objection required the signatures of only one member of each chamber.

The law also limits the grounds for an objection to one of the following:

The electors of a state were not lawfully certified
An elector's vote was not "regularly given"

thanks for this. still avenues for a coup; would 20 GOP senators sign onto objection of PA and MI results? maybe

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

thanks for this. still avenues for a coup; would 20 GOP senators sign onto objection of PA and MI results? maybe

But in order to sustain objections, two-thirds of the Senate would be required to vote to sustain. Which, even if the GOP takes control, isn't going to happen.

I'm not saying there isn't reason to be concerned, I just think worries about individual states (particularly Georgia) or even the threats of violence that he'll try to whip up are more concerning to me IMO

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What risk? You’re acting like Biden is the guy with 34 felonies. His issue was age and that’s no longer an issue. 

He’s not a good public speaker anymore so using him in that capacity can be a risk. After all, it’s what engaged the collapse of his campaign.  

One way it could make sense is if they use him as decoy to distract Trump.  Biden gets back up on stage and Donnie will jump on all of his old Biden cracks. He won’t be able to help himself and will be like a dog on a scent.   None of that matters anymore and it’s all wasted time and energy on something that is not relevant to the election.

Important Time Saving Caveat:  

I’m clarifying my point here and not trying to debate, argue, or convince you anything other than what you believe.  That would be an impossible task and a waste of everyone’s time.   I happily cede the last word to you in this discussion.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Biden has a constituency. He’s not radioactive. His approval rating has shot up. Smaller setting with older white people where he can be one on one would be perfect. 

Generally the incumbent has the edge.  Putting Biden out there helps solidify Harris as the 'incumbent' giving her that advantage, then she can still run as herself giving the newish/youngish feel that the vast majority of the country has been craving for.

• Like 1

Am I wrong to think Harris should go on Fox News and do a debate? When Mayor Pete and Bernie when on Fox and did townhalls I thought they both did great. Both really took it too the Fox News BS talking points and propaganda. I also think it is a great way to expose yourself to this group of voters and allow them to hear something other than the right wing drivel they are fed on the daily by Fox News.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad