2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's pretty infuriating to know that, in all likelihood, the media will continue to let him slide on this stuff... Joe Biden had to leave the ticket because of concerns about his cognitive ability, there is plenty of reason to believe that 78 year old Donald Trump has as big, if not bigger, issues on this front as well.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if he had just misremembered an event 30 yrs ago - it was the certainty that he was right and the threats to sue the Times that mark the situation. Forgetting is not half the indicator that stubbornness about refusing to admit that you may have forgotten is.

14 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Is he OK?

From the story: "Mr. Trump has a history of claiming he will provide evidence to back up his claims but ultimately not doing so."

This has always been a schtick of his: make a claim, say you have evidence, get the claim in the paper, then drop the subject assuming just getting it into the paper will be enough to convince people.

This has worked for a lot of years because it's a tactic we'd rarely seen before in this country, so people weren't sophisticated enough to catch on. But we're getting smarter, Trump knows it, and he's sing-songing his way to irrelevance this November.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

From the story: "Mr. Trump has a history of claiming he will provide evidence to back up his claims but ultimately not doing so."

This has always been a schtick of his: make a claim, say you have evidence, get the claim in the paper, then drop the subject assuming just getting it into the paper will be enough to convince people.

This has worked for a lot of years because it's a tactic we'd rarely seen before in this country, so people weren't sophisticated enough to catch on. But we're getting smarter, Trump knows it, and he's sing-songing his way to irrelevance this November.

I don't know.  He has been spreading the same BS for over 40 years and people didn't catch on.  I am not confident they are catching on now.  Harris has a lot of momentum, but that could change quickly.  

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

NY Times Siena poll:

Harris + 4 in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/latest-polls/election

If they do a good job at the Convention, they'll pick up a couple more. My picks for speakers list : Shapiro, Obama, Whitmer, Walz, Probably Cyburn. maybe Newson (to talk about Harris CA experience), Klobuchar to talk about Walz. Have Biden do a video address one day and show up live for a walk on later in the week. They'll get flack for Biden on video - but more important he give a good speech than risk a down day for a live one.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If they do a good job at the Convention, they'll pick up a couple more. My picks for speakers list : Shapiro, Obama, Whitmer, Walz, Probably Cyburn. maybe Newson (to talk about Harris CA experience), Klobuchar to talk about Walz. Have Biden do a video address one day and show up live for a walk on later in the week. They'll get flack for Biden on video - but more important he give a good speech than risk a down day for a live one.

Who am I to say what the DNC should look like. But one thing the RNC did that I liked was they had a theme to each night. I would do something similar for the primetime speaking hours of the DNC Convention and have speakers that match the theme. I would center everything around resorting freedom, protecting basic rights, making America a compassionate and welcoming country for all, promoting economic fairness and equity, and taking on extremism to protect democracy. These are the themes and speakers I came up with for each night. The primetime speakers would be from 7pm to 10pm. The 2020 DNC Convention averaged about 7-8 primetime speakers per night, so I stuck with that for this schedule.

Monday (Creating a fair economy for all Americans and standing up for workers): Association of Flight Attendants-CWA President Sara Nelson, Vice President of the National Nurses Union Catherine Kennedy, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, AFL-CIO President Liz Shuler, Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Sen. Sherrod Brown, Sen. Bernie Sanders, UAW President Shawn Fain (Keynote) and a performance by Bruce Springsteen.

Tuesday (A compassionate, welcoming country for all Americans): Sen. Cory Booker, Voto Latino CEO Maria Teresa Kumar, Sen. Ruben Gallego, Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi, First Man Doug Emhoff, Congresswoman AOC, President Barack Obama (Keynote) and a performance by Demi Lavato

Wednesday (Standing up to extremism and protecting democracy): Capitol Hill Police Officer Michael Fanone and Capitol Hill Police Officer Harry Dunn together, Sen. Tammy Duckworth, Governor Wes Moore, Governor Josh Shapiro, Governor Gavin Newsome, President Joe Biden, Michelle Obama, VP Nominee Tim Walz (Keynote) and a performance by Beyonce Knowles

Friday (Protecting our freedoms and resorting our basic rights): Gun Reform Activist David Hogg, Planned Parenthood President Alexis McGill-Johnson, Martin Luther King III, Human Rights Campaign President Kelley Robinson, Congresswoman Ayana Pressley, Congressman Jim Clyburn, Governor Gretchen Whitmer, Vice President Kamala Harris (Keynote) and a performance by Taylor Swift.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I’d like to see Cory Booker speak.  He’s a very empathetic person. Always positive 

• Like 1