2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

31 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Obama knifed Biden in the back and forced him out. Of anyone should be buried, it should be Obama. 

Obama has to give the speech that creates a continuity - a bridge - from him to Biden to Harris, which I think is still lacking for the reason you note. If he does that, then he needs to be there. What I'm afraid of is that Obama's own ego (which is plenty outsized) drives him to just make a "look at me, the great orator on a great stage again" speech without doing what he actually need to do, which is pull every one of his supporters to Harris. Otherwise it will be a missed opportunity.

To me the need to create that bridge is why having the Clintons there becomes somewhat problematic because Hillary is the discontinuity in it - If you could have Bill without Hillary....but of course you can't! Hillary won the popular vote, but it was still 4M fewer votes than Obama got in 2008 and 17M less than Biden got in 20. Harris needs all of Biden's 80M

Edited by gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't really understand the complaints about the cost of eggs.  I just got a dozen eggs for $3.00.  That is more than it used to be, but I still consider it a good buy.  That's like 4-6 meals for $3.00.  

Their existing hatred of Democrats is the nail, and the price of eggs is a hammer. If eggs dropped to 99 cents, they'd forget all about eggs and use another hammer.

28 minutes ago, romad1 said:

One idea would be to have the ex-Presidents on a video discuss what they thought about the position and its responsibilities.  Then have them intersplice Trump's most ridiculous norm-breaking acts.  So maybe showing each president laying wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, then have John Kelly looking into the camera describing the notification of a parent like himself when a soldier dies, then have others describe how Trump didn't want to see wounded warriors or travel to the military cemeteries, then have the footage of the ex-presidents at McCain's funeral, then have the ex-presidents sitting on a porch talking about that sacred duty.  Then end with John Kelly saying "My son wasn't a sucker"

But, that's just one idea. 

I like the idea in general, but it's a huge risk making Trump the bogeyman of the DNC. They have 2-1/2 months of rallies and commercials that can do so afterwards. I think they should make Kamala and Walz the star of the DNC show.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Obama has to give the speech that creates a continuity - a bridge - from him to Biden to Harris, which I think is still lacking for the reason you note. If he does that, then he needs to be there. What I'm afraid of is that Obama's own ego (which is plenty outsized) drives him to just make a "look at me, the great orator on a great stage again" speech without doing what he actually need to do, which is pull every one of his supporters to Harris. Otherwise it will be a missed opportunity.

To me the need to create that bridge is why having the Clintons there becomes somewhat problematic because Hillary is the discontinuity in it - If you could have Bill without Hillary....but of course you can't! Hillary won the popular vote, but it was still 4M fewer votes than Obama got in 2008 and 17M less than Biden got in 20. Harris needs all of Biden's 80M

Hillary Clinton was the first female candidate of a major party ticket. She should certainly be speaking at the convention of the second female candidate and first ever female vice president. The guy who got 17m more votes was just thrown overboard because he’s 3 years older than his opponent. Hillary was right about everything. It’s been 8 years. Given what we know now, she would have won. 

I’ve lost a lot of respect for Obama but he is the most influential person in the party and will need a prime speaking slot. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I like the idea in general, but it's a huge risk making Trump the bogeyman of the DNC. They have 2-1/2 months of rallies and commercials that can do so afterwards. I think they should make Kamala and Walz the star of the DNC show.

Yup. Obviously there can be more than one successful strategy and there can be more than on in play simultaneously, but I agree the basic theme at the convention should be not to talk about Trump more than needed to set down the basic markers, things like his behavior on Jan6 and his spiking the immigration bill - things he did or claims to want to do as straight policy contrasts.  But I agree, they don't want to talk about Trump as Trump per se.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think the vast majority of Democrats believe that Hillary is the liability everyone here believes she is.

It depends what she says. I can imagine her giving a great speech about Harris, sisterhood, etc. As long as she stays away from talking about 2016 she should be fine. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hillary Clinton was the first female candidate of a major party ticket. She should certainly be speaking at the convention of the second female candidate and first ever female vice president. The guy who got 17m more votes was just thrown overboard because he’s 3 years older than his opponent. Hillary was right about everything. It’s been 8 years. Given what we know now, she would have won. 

I’ve lost a lot of respect for Obama but he is the most influential person in the party and will need a prime speaking slot. 

what more important than whether they should be there is whether they are on board with the right program! These are all people with strong agendas of their own and their own needs for self justification. You have to hope they will all row in the same direction rhetorically.

Obama especially, his speech needs to end with the crowd charged up about Harris, not wishing Obama could have a 3rd term. If it's the latter, he failed his task.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It depends what she says. I can imagine her giving a great speech about Harris, sisterhood, etc. As long as she stays away from talking about 2016 she should be fine. 

I just think the board can tend toward having our heads way, way up our own ass on certain topics, and Hillary is one of them.

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This is a very interesting read

Ah, yes, there it is. That's why (italics mine).

The latest: The Trump campaign said yesterday that its internal email had been hacked, with documents "obtained illegally from foreign sources hostile to the United States, intended to interfere with the 2024 election and sow chaos throughout our Democratic process."

• Steven Cheung, the campaign communications director, warned reporters in a statement: "Any media or news outlet reprinting documents or internal communications are doing the bidding of America's enemies and doing exactly what they want."
Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I just think the board can tend toward having our heads way, way up our own ass on certain topics, and Hillary is one of them.

If you were not a person that found Hillary grating, then that phenomenon won't make sense, but it is/was real. What I'm sure has changed however, is that with age and the end of political ambitions of her own, I think she is likely to express more of the humor and graciousness that is also in her personality.

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

what more important than whether they should be there is whether they are on board with the right program! These are all people with strong agendas of their own and their own needs for self justification. You have to hope they will all row in the same direction rhetorically.

Obama especially, his speech needs to end with the crowd charged up about Harris, not wishing Obama could have a 3rd term. If it's the latter, he failed his task.  🤷‍♀️

The Clintons were behind Biden until he dropped and were still trying to convince donors not to abandon Biden. They got behind Harris right away. Obama wanted an open primary and was the last to get behind Harris. Biden out maneuvered both Pelosi and Obama. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wonder if B Clinton still has it in him to do the kind of policy primer speech he once could. Otherwise I would have buried the Clintons, but that's just me. 

In the era of MeToo trotting out a man accused of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and taking advantage of a 21 year old girl who was your intern makes us look like hypocrites as Democrats. We are supposed to believe Dr. Christine Blasey-Ford and E. Jean Carroll. However, we're not supposed to believe Paula Jones, Juanita Broaddrick, Kathleen Willey. Not to mention that we're trying to make the case against Trump because he was on Epstein's flight logs knowing that Bubba was on them too.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Biden out maneuvered both Pelosi and Obama. 

Hard to know how long it was in the planning or how fast it came together in a hurry, but Biden/Harris have pulled off one of the greatest maneuvers in US political history. I think we are just still to close to it to realize how difficult what they just did was. They are either the luckiest SOBs in history or way better at what they were doing than people ever give politicians the credit for being.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Hillary Clinton is still popular among black and Hispanic voters. That’s the base of the party. There’s also a lot of people who admit now she was right about everything. She was a historic candidate and should be a prominent speaker for another historic candidate. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

In the era of MeToo trotting out a man accused of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and taking advantage of a 21 year old girl who was your intern makes us look like hypocrites as Democrats. We are supposed to believe Dr. Christine Blasey-Ford and E. Jean Carroll. However, we're not supposed to believe Paula Jones, Juanita Broaddrick, Kathleen Willey. Not to mention that we're trying to make the case against Trump because he was on Epstein's flight logs knowing that Bubba was on them too.

White leftists with the purity contests again. Bill Clinton was never found liable or guilty of any sexual assault like Trump and Clinton was impeached over his affair. 

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hard to know how long it was in the planning or how fast it came together in a hurry, but Biden/Harris have pulled off one of the greatest maneuvers in US political history. I think we are just still to close to it to realize how difficult what they just did was. They are either the luckiest SOBs in history or way better at what they were doing than people ever give politicians the credit for being.

I think Biden is more politically savvy than people give him credit for. His timing after the Republican convention and releasing it via tweet after the Sunday shows were over caught the media and Democratic rat****ers like Pelosi and Obama off guard. His quick endorsement and Harris securing endorsements from congress squashed any attempt at an open primary. 

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

White leftists with the purity contests again. Bill Clinton was never found liable or guilty of any sexual assault like Trump and Clinton was impeached over his affair. 

Did you believe Christine Blasey-Ford or no? If yes, did you believe her allegations were enough to disqualify Brett Kavanaugh from the Supreme Court? Regarding Biden, he wasn't accused by three different woman of inappropriate behavior like Clinton was. He was accused by one woman, who changed her story multiple times.

So much of what happened behind the scenes of Biden stepping aside is speculation.   Nobody knows with authority what Obama’s role was or what he wanted to happen.  

I do know they were much more likely to lose had they stuck with Biden.