2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I keep hoping for the day when political advertising becomes so ineffective candidates give it up. Even today I have to doubt anyone believes anything they see/hear in a political ad, but I imagine they can still be useful/effective for driving turnout of people whose minds are already made up.

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

maybe we can get it lower.  Although the Harris campaign is putting ads up on the platform so that should help

The stock is worthless so I'm wondering when everyone realizes that and it drops to below $1.

I would wager:

On November 6th, 2024.

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

if Harris gets a meaningful bounce out of her convention she's got this in the bag.  This is metaphorically the ground that the GOP has to win on or else.   

I agree that HAMAS fans are going to make trouble.  Navigating that will be key.  What would be effective counter-programming would be a white nationalists march that ran into that HAMAS protest and got into a tussle.  

How much you wanna bet the Republicans will pay actors to portray Hamas supporters to try to disrupt the DNC, and I believe they will do so precisely because they accused Harris Walz of paying actors to show up at their rallies, and really, who would make such a way-out accusation literally no one else is contemplating, except people who would engage in that kind of chicanery themselves?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How much you wanna bet the Republicans will pay actors to portray Hamas supporters to try to disrupt the DNC, and I believe they will do so precisely because they accused Harris Walz of paying actors to show up at their rallies, and really, who would make such a way-out accusation literally no one else is contemplating, except people who would engage in that kind of chicanery themselves?

KGB playbook...its the only way Putin can win in Ukraine is if Trump wins.  He'll do anything.  Well, not appear in drag.  He'll leave that JD Vance.

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

How much of the rising cost of groceries can be attributed to the consolidation of supermarkets. The little guy who ran the local grocery store who may have been connected to a group of independent grocers is long gone. The Krogers, Food Lions, Walmarts, etc have taken over. The big guys are mostly setting the price, not the administration

Have you ever seen a Republican oppose a major company merger recently?

Exactly. As I've said, it's absolutely bonkers that people blame high gas prices and grocery prices on the president of the United States, instead of on the oil companies and the major grocery chains.

It is the same strain of intellectual dishonesty that says that Trump was a better president than Biden because we were in no wars under Trump and we are in two wars under Biden, when in fact not only do we no troop involvement in those two wars cited, we were in an active war in Afghanistan during the entire presidency of Trump and Biden got us out of that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I keep hoping for the day when political advertising becomes so ineffective candidates give it up. Even today I have to doubt anyone believes anything they see/hear in a political ad, but I imagine they can still be useful/effective for driving turnout of people whose minds are already made up.

In a race where opinions have more or less calcified, it's less about convincing people and changing minds than it is about staying top of mind, driving turnout, and not ceding that particular part of the arms race to the opponent.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They have people who will do it for free.   They arrested and charged them in Minneapolis 

Edited by pfife

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Exactly. As I've said, it's absolutely bonkers that people blame high gas prices and grocery prices on the president of the United States, instead of on the oil companies and the major grocery chains.

It is the same strain of intellectual dishonesty that says that Trump was a better president than Biden because we were in no wars under Trump and we are in two wars under Biden, when in fact not only do we no troop involvement in those two wars cited, we were in an active war in Afghanistan during the entire presidency of Trump and Biden got us out of that.

I hear that no wars one multiple times a morning on cspan and it's mind boggling ignorant

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

They have people who will do it for free.   They arrested and charged them in Minneapolis 

Good point. I have wondered how many of the so-called Hamasholes have been Putin-Trump operatives.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, are we sure they did it for free?

Edited by chasfh

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Good point. I have wondered how many of the so-called Hamasholes have been Putin-Trump operatives.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, are we sure they did it for free?

If Trump was paying them, then they probably did it for free.  

• Haha 2

of course! Trump jumped on the Lolita Express, Jeffrey Epstein's fromer jet, to do some fundraising

MAGA tells me there are no coincidences, so looking forward to hear all the crazy reasons Trump got back on Epstein's plane, which he flew on 7 previous times that we know of. Probably hoping to get the VHS tape he left on there.