2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

It was a long time ago now, and he's done a lot of booger sugar induced videos since this time, but I do recall Jr giving a speech at the 2016 convention and while I hated every syllable coming out of his pie hole, I do recall thinking the dude can give a speech and could have a future in politics.  

This is obviously correct from the GOP perspective, but it all comes down to the candidate.

You can never count him out, but it's never a good situation to be in when the situation requires a 78 year old man, whose performance itself is declining, to suddenly become something he isn't capable of being

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

It was a long time ago now, and he's done a lot of booger sugar induced videos since this time, but I do recall Jr giving a speech at the 2016 convention and while I hated every syllable coming out of his pie hole, I do recall thinking the dude can give a speech and could have a future in politics.  

Relative to his siblings, he's the one you can squint at and see some semblance of potential in. 

But I don't think there's anyone inside or outside of the family that will ever recapture Trump Sr.'s formula. 

I think Ivanka has the most potential. She’s the smartest and savviest of the bunch. She’s not as offensive and belligerent as junior. She’s more pragmatic and cunning. I think she would appeal more to suburban women. 

Once Trump is dead, we’ll likely see something from the Wizard of Oz when the wicked witch is killed. The republicans are the flying monkeys and will finally be free. We just can’t make people forget how they all backed Trump. 

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Relative to his siblings, he's the one you can squint at and see some semblance of potential in. 

But I don't think there's anyone inside or outside of the family that will ever recapture Trump Sr.'s formula. 

Coke Zero might capture most of the red hats with his cruelty platform, but he could never get the marginal middle he would need if for no other reason than he has no business resume, such as it is. The only way he could ever win the White House is to have it passed down to him Kim Jong-style.

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I agree, I think he's one of the best (and also worst) politicians I've seen in my lifetime.   

I say that from a skills perspective.  Like how I hated Jordan and Shaq and Bron when they play the Pistons but obvs they're good at the game.  

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think Ivanka has the most potential. She’s the smartest and savviest of the bunch. She’s not as offensive and belligerent as junior. She’s more pragmatic and cunning. I think she would appeal more to suburban women. 

Once Trump is dead, we’ll likely see something from the Wizard of Oz when the wicked witch is killed. The republicans are the flying monkeys and will finally be free. We just can’t make people forget how they all backed Trump. 

They will punish Trump backers the same as the Confederates were punished: they’ll be ostracized for a very short time, then they’ll be invited right back into power.

• Like 1

Just now, chasfh said:

They will punish Trump backers the same as the Confederates were punished: they’ll be ostracized for a very short time, then they’ll be invited right back into power.

lol totally.   and we'll all have to pretend their "MAGA is heritage, not hate" defenses are legit

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Elon Musk is the only one I’ve seen that can emulate Trump. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Supreme Court clears the way for him to be president. 

If we think the Court could completely flout the birth requirement to allow a foreign national to become President, presumably through some 14th-Amendment twist on the natural-born-citizen clause, then they could easily just overturn this free-and-fair election and hand the White House to Trump this time around, which, they could probably twist dozens of constitutional clauses in defense of that decision.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If we think the Court could completely flout the birth requirement to allow a foreign national to become President, presumably through some 14th-Amendment twist on the natural-born-citizen clause, then they could easily just overturn this free-and-fair election and hand the White House to Trump this time around, which, they could probably twist dozens of constitutional clauses in defense of that decision.

They already negated a clause of the 14th amendment earlier this year when they said 14.3 couldn't keep DonOLD off the ballot b/c congress hadn't implemented a way to enforce it.   

Yes that does mean Congress can veto the constitution, just like you learned in civics class.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Something to keep in mind.    She backed her father because it was her father, but Ivanka moved in liberal circles before he dad got into politics.   She's not really close to him politically outside of just being in his family.      

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What's going on here is they know the have the electors to stop any vote from getting certified - or - as Frank Zappa said - the money is all going to Trump's pocket.    He needs to pay off Venezuela to let him live there.  

boiled down:  Criminal nominated weird guy to be VP because he needed the no-tax, no-regulation people to back him for financial reasons.   Weird guy is weird and is out of his depth. 

If Trump loses and he survives four more years,  he'll be their nominee again in 2028.  He won't walk away and as long as he's in the race, he will keep getting the nomination.

And Republicans aren't going back to normal in 4 years or even 8.    This is who they are at their core now.  This is their normal.     Guys like Bill Kristol, Rick Wilson and Joe Walsh can try to get the party back to normal, but they'll keep losing primaries to the nutballs.  

If they can get rid of Trump (or he departs this country or this mortal coil) they're future is probably Nikki Haley, Greg Abbott or Glen Youngkin.   I don't think they'll go for DeSantis.  The Trumpies will never forgive Haley for running against him.   Greg Abbott does a bunch of those "**** the Liberals" things to keep that group happy and Youngkin is a used car salesman - you know he's slimy but he makes his living.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Something to keep in mind.    She backed her father because it was her father, but Ivanka moved in liberal circles before he dad got into politics.   She's not really close to him politically outside of just being in his family.      

I promise you, Ivanka is not a liberal.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I promise you, Ivanka is not a liberal.

I'm guessing she was apolitical overall but generally leaned liberal. She was a NYC socialite.  I'm sure pretty liberal on social issues, if you asked, but she comes from money and married into money so they leaned right when it came to that.  Politics was something that she didn't have to think about much because you live a certain life, go to certain schools, etc. where everybody is the same and you have what you need.  

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm guessing she was apolitical overall but generally leaned liberal. She was a NYC socialite.  I'm sure pretty liberal on social issues, if you asked, but she comes from money and married into money so they leaned right when it came to that.  Politics was something that she didn't have to think about much because you live a certain life, go to certain schools, etc. where everybody is the same and you have what you need.  

I think this is right. Her politics goes as far as advocating whatever will help her personally and directly. Everything else is irrelevant.