2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's amazing how much he detests those whose served and sacrificed.

Yet the same people going on and on about Walz deserting his unit by retiring, after 24 years, two months before they got orders to deploy will just gloss over this and pretend it never happened. 

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The word "communism" gets thrown around so much these days to the point where it has lost all meaning.

True, but I was deliberately giving the shallow interpretation of her plan there. That is what we'll be hearing for days.  I mean going after gross price gouging is good, but that's not the primay, secondary or tertiary reason for inflation.  It seems to have low practical upside utility and high image risk.

Edited by Tiger337

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That is what we'll be hearing for days. 

Maybe. Although the bigger likelihood is that it will come and go and they'll move on to the next thing, which will also lead to words like "communism" being thrown around.

The formula is pretty well established at this point.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe. Although the bigger likelihood is that it will come and go and they'll move on to the next thing, which will also lead to words like "communism" being thrown around.

The formula is pretty well established at this point.

Yeah, news cycles are short lived now.  

54 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The price gouging ban might play well to her populist base, but it opens her up to more accusations of communism.  It's unrealistic and shouldn't be #1 on her economic plan.  

An effective anti-trust regime would have the same effect without the downsides.

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yeah, news cycles are short lived now.  

The disorienting thing about our current moment versus previous cycles is just how the drive of the news cycle is out of Trump's hand at the moment. In the nine years since he came down the escalator, I don't think we've seen him less in control of the narrative (except for the two weeks after Jan 6th anyway)

I know we are all influenced by the past, but it's a real distinction from 2016 and 2020. It explains the press conferences over the past week, even if they probably do more harm than good.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The disorienting thing about our current moment versus previous cycles is just how the drive of the news cycle is out of Trump's hand at the moment. In the nine years since he came down the escalator, I don't think we've seen him less in control of the narrative (except for the two weeks after Jan 6th anyway)

I know we are all influenced by the past, but it's a real distinction from 2016 and 2020. It explains the press conferences over the past week, even if they probably do more harm than good.

I really hope it means that the media has finally tired of him.  

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Polling over the past week has consistently showed Walz as being the most popular of each of the candidates currently on a ticket... Yet these clowns think he's the worst VP pick ever.

Just stuck in their bubble 

Stuck in their bubble is exactly right.  Nobody cares about the military stuff except people already voting for Trump. It will not stick.  We’ve talked before about people playing by old rules and I think with Harris we have entered a new game.  Trumps **** doesn’t work anymore. 

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

True, but I was deliberately giving the shallow interpretation of her plan there. That is what we'll be hearing for days.  I mean going after gross price gouging is good, but that's not the primay, secondary or tertiary reason for inflation.  It seems to have low practical upside utility and high image risk.

It's also "too little, too late".

And I don't mean that from a bad perspective.

I actually mean that from a good perspective in that... Retailers are currently slashing prices in a slightly deflationary move... But in order to "hold onto market share"... that's what they're doing. So it's already too late to be talking about "reigning in corporate price gouging" since consumers should start to see some of these price breaks... I'm talking Wal-Mart, Target, etc...

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Polling over the past week has consistently showed Walz as being the most popular of each of the candidates currently on a ticket... Yet these clowns think he's the worst VP pick ever.

Just stuck in their bubble 

It's always projection. Always.

• Like 1

So if "illegal migrants" are taking more than 100% of the jobs, doesn't that indicate employers are lowballing wages. Or is it that qualified people here legally are too lazy to get off the couch?

MAGA, please explain that to me in fifth grade terms

Related somewhat to the weird comparison of writing a check to Trump's campaign to death in battle is Mike Murphy on "Hacks on Tap" podcast saying he didn't like Harris touting her work at McDonalds.  He said Its not the equivalent of earning the Silver Star in battle.  

I dunno, its does put her in a group of people who have had to sweat a little bit to get drinking money when they were in school -- or in my case so they could buy an AD&D module. 

10 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Related somewhat to the weird comparison of writing a check to Trump's campaign to death in battle is Mike Murphy on "Hacks on Tap" podcast saying he didn't like Harris touting her work at McDonalds.  He said Its not the equivalent of earning the Silver Star in battle.  

I dunno, its does put her in a group of people who have had to sweat a little bit to get drinking money when they were in school -- or in my case so they could buy an AD&D module. 

For some it was tuition and book money. Or enough to pay the rent. I remember days behind the Arby's slicer, smelling of french fry grease and Jomoca shakes at the end of a 9 hour shift.

Took me 30 years to go near roast beef sandwich after those days.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I heard his comments, I don't think it's something she should harp on over and over, but I don't think it's a bad part of her bio to highlight.... especially given that her opponent comes from the elite and hasn't had a day of real actual work in his entire life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oblong said:

at least he had the courtesy to cause it more in other countries than he did here.

Similarly at least John Oates created awesome rock anthems about love, loss, and good time, and not washed up libertarian utopia malarkey with that hair and stache

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

at least he had the courtesy to cause it more in other countries than he did here.

It really is amazing how so much commentary on this subject ignores the existence of the rest of the world.

Of course, acknowledging the rest of the world is inconvenient and would raise questions about whether we'd be exactly where we are today had Trump been reelected in 2020, so....

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1