2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Related somewhat to the weird comparison of writing a check to Trump's campaign to death in battle is Mike Murphy on "Hacks on Tap" podcast saying he didn't like Harris touting her work at McDonalds.  He said Its not the equivalent of earning the Silver Star in battle.  

I dunno, its does put her in a group of people who have had to sweat a little bit to get drinking money when they were in school -- or in my case so they could buy an AD&D module. 

I think working at McDonalds makes her more relatable than Trump, who thinks you need to show ID to purchase groceries. Not everybody grew up in the military. More people started with McDonald's jobs than joined the military. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think working at McDonalds makes her more relatable than Trump, who thinks you need to show ID to purchase groceries. Not everybody grew up in the military. More people started with McDonald's jobs than joined the military. 

1 in 8 per some link I see on Drudge.   

Plenty of politicians did the check-the-box version of military service, too.  

1 minute ago, pfife said:

Middle managers are forged at Hardees restaurant in Midland MI, which has since been torn down and replaced, leading to dearth of quality middle managers

Like West Pennsylvania for quarterbacks is Midland, Mi as to managing the middle of the workforce. 

Just now, romad1 said:

1 in 8 per some link I see on Drudge.   

Plenty of politicians did the check-the-box version of military service, too.  

I worked there when I was in high school.... it's a good place to learn work ethic, or at least it was for me.

Just now, mtutiger said:

I worked there when I was in high school.... it's a good place to learn work ethic, or at least it was for me.

My "Joe Jobs" prior to enlisting were:

DETNEWS paper route:  I learned that its cold out there, man. 

Denny's bus boy:  I learned that Denny's isn't going to close just because the Tigers are in the World Series. 

Cutlery World "associate" where I learned all about Sabatier knives and that you NEVER ask a person who is missing an arm or other appendage if they are "looking for something."

Liquor Store: cash register machine operator and provider of semi-legal vices to the lower-middle class.

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

THeyRe gonna dRoP WaLz

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/08/16/vance-walz-post-poll/

Americans’ first impressions of Walz are positive, negative for Vance

But do they know that, contrary to his comments yesterday, he puts a little chili powder in his hot dish?

That will spell the end to his approval rating, I'm sure of it!

Another Repub still living in the middle ages. I wonder if Ben Shapiro even knows that the reason spices were valuable in his beloved dark ages was that there was only half rotten food available in Europe most of the time. But of course Ben probably never walks into a Kroger's to notice the utter surfeit of fresh things to eat in 2024 - that's probably way too modern for him - he might run into one of those uppity independent women that drives her own car and is blocking his path to the ready to eat counter.

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Raises hand...

Did both, actually. But McDonald's came first, in high school. Army after high school.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Another Repub still living in the middle ages. I wonder if Ben Shapiro even knows that the reason spices were valuable in his beloved dark ages was that there was only half rotten food available in Europe most of the time. But of course Ben probably never walks into a Kroger's to notice the utter surfeit of fresh things to eat in 2024 - that's probably way too modern for him - he might run into one of those uppity independent women that drives her own car and is blocking his path to the ready to eat counter.

The picture below suggests that Ben has rarely darkened the doorstep of any retail outlet lol

slate on X: "so let's break this down: 1) ben shapiro walked into home depot  2) found 1 shitty plank of wood 3) purchased 1 shitty plank of wood 4)  somehow obtained

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The picture below suggests that Ben has rarely darkened the doorstep of any retail outlet lol

slate on X: "so let's break this down: 1) ben shapiro walked into home depot  2) found 1 shitty plank of wood 3) purchased 1 shitty plank of wood 4)  somehow obtained

He's a rent boy to the billionaires who think he's the best reputation of what a nice conservative young man should be like. 

The is very interesting reading on the gender gap.  You aren't surprised that Vance and Trump are not popular with women with brains. 

It’s likely to widen this year for five big reasons:

1. The prominence of abortion rights as a major voting issue (Gallup reports the highest percentage of women in decades of polling self-describing as pro-choice); 
  2. The decade-plus trend of college-educated women moving toward the Democratic Party is being revved up by Trump and backlash to the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs
  3. Enthusiasm for Harris among Black women, “who have historically been the single biggest driver in the gender gap between parties,” is outstripping even “what the country experienced during [BARACK] OBAMA’s campaigns”; 
  4. Gen Z women, who are disproportionately Democratic, and; 
  5. Trump’s “intemperate remarks about Harris’s sex and race and JD VANCE’s “long history of making disparaging remarks about women.”

— The key groups to watch in the seven battleground states:

13 hours ago, oblong said:

Meanwhile in JV Vance world…

True as this may have been at that time, it was also a very different, basically wild-west country in the early to mid-19th century, where everyone was expected to come here and make his own way on his own, take what he could get on his own, which almost guaranteed violence. There was no police or otherwise public safety regime at all. We are now a country of ubiquitous law and order, and vast majority people subsume their baser instincts to law and order, and that goes double for strangers in a strange land.

In many ways Trumpublicans are throw backs to the belief that women are only good for two things. Babies and housework.

I'm old enough to remember when the only "viable"  jobs for women were teaching, secretarial work and sales work in department stores. 

It wasn't that long ago that my wife, who was a reporter and radio news anchor, was told by a general manager of a prominent radio station "No woman will ever work morning drive" at his station. Management jobs were basically unheard of. 

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I really hope it means that the media has finally tired of him.  

The media will tire of Trump when you and I and everyone else stop driving revenue into their coffers by clicking on Trump headlines.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Related somewhat to the weird comparison of writing a check to Trump's campaign to death in battle is Mike Murphy on "Hacks on Tap" podcast saying he didn't like Harris touting her work at McDonalds.  He said Its not the equivalent of earning the Silver Star in battle.  

I dunno, its does put her in a group of people who have had to sweat a little bit to get drinking money when they were in school -- or in my case so they could buy an AD&D module. 

It’s not something you can structure an entire campaign around. It’s one of those things that works for a news cycle or two, to help build your story foundation, and then you have to move on.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

It really is amazing how so much commentary on this subject ignores the existence of the rest of the world.

Of course, acknowledging the rest of the world is inconvenient and would raise questions about whether we'd be exactly where we are today had Trump been reelected in 2020, so....

That’s because the rest of the world isn’t people with lives like ours. The rest of the world is riches and spoils to exploit.