2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

My "Joe Jobs" prior to enlisting were:

DETNEWS paper route:  I learned that its cold out there, man. 

It wasn’t as cold for you News boys working after 230pm with the sun overhead as it was for us Free Press boys working at 530am before the sun came up in the southeast.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It wasn’t as cold for you News boys working after 230pm with the sun overhead as it was for us Free Press boys working at 530am before the sun came up in the southeast.

We did the morning deliveries on the weekend.  But, yeah... I feel your pain. 

My paper route is probably why I'm not that big of a football fan.  Instead of watching Michigan or the Lions on Saturdays and Sundays, I was out collecting from my 40 customers.  I had my little book with the two rings on it that I could hang from my handlebars.  $1.65 a week, $3.30 for 2 weeks, $4.95 for 3 weeks..."  I learned those real quick.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Another Repub still living in the middle ages. I wonder if Ben Shapiro even knows that the reason spices were valuable in his beloved dark ages was that there was only half rotten food available in Europe most of the time. But of course Ben probably never walks into a Kroger's to notice the utter surfeit of fresh things to eat in 2024 - that's probably way too modern for him - he might run into one of those uppity independent women that drives her own car and is blocking his path to the ready to eat counter.

"Fresh things to eat"? Obviously, your Kroger differs significantly from mine, where half the produce is left rotting past the due date and a quarter of the shelves are left empty while they await the disposition of the Albertson's merger.

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

My paper route is probably why I'm not that big of a football fan.  Instead of watching Michigan or the Lions on Saturdays and Sundays, I was out collecting from my 40 customers.  I had my little book with the two rings on it that I could hang from my handlebars.  $1.65 a week, $3.30 for 2 weeks, $4.95 for 3 weeks..."  I learned those real quick.

The woman who paid me in nickels every week instead of paying ahead and never paid a tip...i still remember waiting outside her door.  I remember her name was Napier which as I learned when I married into a Scottish family is a famous Scottish name and that the Scots are famously tight with their brass. 

Edited by romad1

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The woman who paid me in nickels every week instead of paying ahead and never paid a tip...i still remember waiting outside her door.  I remember her name was Napier which as I learned when I married into a Scottish family is a famous Scottish name and that the Scots are famously tight with their brass. 

But there was that one day when instead of nickels, she gave me something even more valuable....

30 minutes ago, oblong said:

15 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I used to "collect for the Free Press" (my door call) on Thursday and Friday nights, then clean up the rest Saturday morning. I too had 40-ish customers, and as I remember, I did not take my book with me. I tried to keep it all in my head. I'm sure one or two got by me each week.

I also used to be paid by some in these new-customer coupons, like 10¢ and 25¢, and for my first year I would throw them out, because nobody told me they were like cash that I could submit with my money order from Arnold's Drugs to pay for my week's papers. Call me stupid if you want, but what I was was ignorant, I was eleven years old, and I actually got yelled at for it as though I was supposed to just know by osmosis what they were for.

When I started it was $1.05 daily/Sunday, and I got tipped a nickel or a dime by maybe two-thirds of people, maybe 20¢ by a handful of them, and stiffed by the rest. But once the cost went up to $1.25 daily/Sunday, I started getting stiffed by two-thirds of people. End of the year I would either get a dollar for my Christmas tip, or the change from two dollars, and I still got stiffed by at least a third of my customers even then. People in Warren just sucked.

Edited by chasfh

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

I had Det News route for the street behind my house; hated it by the 4th year; but biggest lesson I learned was from a plumber who would always pay almost double what he owed me with.

This blue collar guy with dirty hands was the best tipper; did not really appreciate it until a decade later, but now I tip like a boss.

• Like 1

we had a little station we'd pick up our papers at.  Back of a building, just a giant warehouse type room.  Mr. Stubee was the guy there.  He had the covers of all the TV BOoks, lined along the walls near his desk.  It was very cool.  You'd go in and there were rows of tables with stacks for each route.  Sometimes we had "fillers" where you had to put the ads for that day in the paper.  On Saturdays and Sundays you had to do the same with the large supplements. And because of that is why our weekly "kick upstairs" was always different.  We had to pay Mr. Stubee out of what we collected.  Looking back now it was very bookie-ish.  No accountability. He'd just say "Give me $32.85".  And we did.  I think I averaged about $40 a week in profit.  

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I had Det News route for the street behind my house; hated it by the 4th year; but biggest lesson I learned was from a plumber who would always pay almost double what he owed me with.

This blue collar guy with dirty hands was the best tipper; did not really appreciate it until a decade later, but now I tip like a boss.

When I delivered pizzas in the Dearorn area in college I quickly learned the bigger the house the less likely a tip.  Our city is a mixture of mansions and bungalows and the bungalows tipped best. We had some luxury hotels too that were hit or miss with their guests.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

we had a little station we'd pick up our papers at.  Back of a building, just a giant warehouse type room.  Mr. Stubee was the guy there.  He had the covers of all the TV BOoks, lined along the walls near his desk.  It was very cool.  You'd go in and there were rows of tables with stacks for each route.  Sometimes we had "fillers" where you had to put the ads for that day in the paper.  On Saturdays and Sundays you had to do the same with the large supplements. And because of that is why our weekly "kick upstairs" was always different.  We had to pay Mr. Stubee out of what we collected.  Looking back now it was very bookie-ish.  No accountability. He'd just say "Give me $32.85".  And we did.  I think I averaged about $40 a week in profit.  

Was this the place by Primos in Plymouth?

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

I remember that fillers often got dumped in a nearby dumpster by some clever wags.

Just now, romad1 said:

Was this the place by Primos in Plymouth?

No, it was in Dearborn Hts.  Beech Daly and Annapolis area.  Probably one step down the food chain from there.  Just local routes came here.  Ride your bike up there and hope the stash was small enough that you could stack it on your handlebars and "hold it" that way.  Dexterity was a useful skill.  No need to mess around with those bags and... well... those who used a wagon were dealt a slur I'd not use today and wish I didn't use back then.

• Like 1

Just now, oblong said:

We had papers delivered right to our house by Mr. Schornak because we were basically Paperboy Central. All seven of us kids were Free Press deliverers, plus a couple other kids in the neighborhood would come to our house to get their papers. This went on from 1969 into the early 80s. To pay for the papers, we would get our money order and put it in the envelope and in the mailbox Sunday morning for him to pick up when he delivered the Sunday papers.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

No, it was in Dearborn Hts.  Beech Daly and Annapolis area.  Probably one step down the food chain from there.  Just local routes came here.  Ride your bike up there and hope the stash was small enough that you could stack it on your handlebars and "hold it" that way.  Dexterity was a useful skill.  No need to mess around with those bags and... well... those who used a wagon were dealt a slur I'd not use today and wish I didn't use back then.

It was a lot easier to have one’s manhood checked back then. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Trump world says: you had four years to do this so why did you wait until now? Hmmmmm??

Not that logic matters to them but the flip of that is that Pence should get all the "credit" for 2017-2020 and it's bad judgement to dump someone so "successful".  

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Incredible...

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ron Filipowski sucks. 

These maga Twitter crazies like Ben Shapiro are trolls.   Shapiro put out that ridiculous post about spices for exactly this response.   He wants to rile up the other side to add clicks and in turn dollars to his pocket.  

Every single day Filipowski empowers these guys by retweeting them with some sort of “can you believe what these guys are saying now” tag.  Whether he realizes it or not, he’s becoming the best marketing tool that maga Twitter has ever had.     They couldn’t ask for a better friend than Filipowski for taking their troll bait everyday and continuing to spread it for them.  

I’m going to guess he’s never spent much time in an online forum like this one or else he’d know how the troll game works. 

• Like 4