2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if the mayor of Dearborn realizes Dearborn is one of the ethnic enclaves he speaks of? 

Yes, we're in the midst of a giant crime wave here in Dearborn.   Why just last week one neighbor didn't take his garbage bins back from the curb - ALL WEEK.      Just drive around my hood (you don't need bulletproof windows, I swear) and you will see crime tape near the house with the abandoned wheelie bins.  

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There is the disconnect.  Read my post again.  I did not thread police anyone. I was not referring to people re-posting him on here.

This site has 270 people behind a password.  It has zero impact on engagement or any ability to empower the maga crazies like Ben Shapiro.    

That’s not the case with someone like Filipkowski with over a million Twitter followers.   He feeds these clowns sustenance they need to survive as trolls.   That’s why I think he sucks. 

Isn't this just social media in general at this point?

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Isn't this just social media in general at this point?

Some but not in general.  

There are lots of large social posters that stick with just the crazy things that are said by actual GOP politicians and choose to ignore the Shapiro’s and Fuentes of the world.  

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

"Fresh things to eat"? Obviously, your Kroger differs significantly from mine, where half the produce is left rotting past the due date and a quarter of the shelves are left empty while they await the disposition of the Albertson's merger.

Well, I would have said "Busch's", which is our more upscale foodster in A^2, but it wasn't as good a rhetorical fit. Actually, in this area the Kroger's are quite good IMO, but they don't have to compete on price since their only serious competition comes Busch's, which as notes is upscale, as opposed to downscale. The only thing I won't buy from our Kroger's is fish.

2 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

Hopefully the Harris team is reviewing those debate moments and preparing. Gabbard really is (yet another) piece of work in the circus posing as a political campaign.

Asad's best friend in Congress.

• Like 2

Really excited for the new economic agenda Vice President Harris rolled out today. It sounds like some level of price fixing or price capping might be involved in her agenda and this is a big step in the right direction. Corporations have gouged consumers for decades and much of the inflation bout we went through was greed-related price increases. So to see her economic agenda addressing this with at least some level of price fixing would be great.

32 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It sounds like some level of price fixing or price capping might be involved in her agenda and this is a big step in the right direction.

this is has been tried before in countless times and places - it won't work. But the odds are nothing significant will pass so they will never get far down that road and do too much damage. You keep prices competitive by keeping industries competitive. Fix the 2nd, the 1st takes care of itself. But that is too complex a story to tell in a campaign ad.

• Like 1

This is wild. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/16/us/politics/brad-raffensperger-2020-georgia-election.html?unlocked_article_code=1.DU4.NCd6.Ue0uwKEjw-nJ&smid=url-share

This Georgia Republican Defied Trump. Now He’s Fighting a Defamation Suit.

The secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, has spent $500,000 defending himself in court. He says the plaintiff will only settle if he effectively endorses a debunked conspiracy theory about the 2020 election.

More at link

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

If you don't want to engage in a post that involves Ben Shapiro, feel free to not engage on it. I'll leave it at that.

I have no idea how that clown ever got any relevance.  I have him blocked.  

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Ron Filipowski sucks. 

These maga Twitter crazies like Ben Shapiro are trolls.   Shapiro put out that ridiculous post about spices for exactly this response.   He wants to rile up the other side to add clicks and in turn dollars to his pocket.  

Every single day Filipowski empowers these guys by retweeting them with some sort of “can you believe what these guys are saying now” tag.  Whether he realizes it or not, he’s becoming the best marketing tool that maga Twitter has ever had.     They couldn’t ask for a better friend than Filipowski for taking their troll bait everyday and continuing to spread it for them.  

I’m going to guess he’s never spent much time in an online forum like this one or else he’d know how the troll game works. 

Agreed 100% on Flipowski/Rupar/etc.

A majority of the tweets in here are from accounts I've muted/blocked that have made my Twitter timeline so much more tolerable in this, a year divisible by 4.

15 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is has been tried before in countless times and places - it won't work. But the odds are nothing significant will pass so they will never get far down that road and do too much damage. You keep prices competitive by keeping industries competitive. Fix the 2nd, the 1st takes care of itself. But that is too complex a story to tell in a campaign ad.

Exactly. Industry can’t effectively price gouge unless they either collude to do so, or else they are allowed to consolidate through acquisition. And government officials too often look the other way because the payoffs they get from all of it is just so sweet. That’s a bipartisan problem that, frankly, I’m not sure has any solution that is not preceded by some cataclysm.

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Trump had a press conference and said the presidential Medal of Freedom was better than the a Medal of Honor. 

You gotta work really hard to provoke an official statement like that from a group like the VFW.... most of them don't want to engage this kind of stuff at all

Edited by mtutiger