2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

The Internet Is Making Hilarious Comparisons Between Tim Walz And J.D. Vance, And I Can't Stop Laughing

BuzzFeed
Tue, August 13, 2024 at 3:35 PM EDT·4 min read

As someone who's deeply invested in the upcoming election, I spend quite a bit of my time on Reddit reading the comments on political posts. Well, in the r/inthenews subreddit, a recent post about our vice-presidential running mates had me cracking up.

In the comments, Reddit user u/TDiddy2021 wrote, "My wife just sent me a meme proclaiming, 'Tim Walz is the guy who asks if you need help with a creepy dude at the bar. J.D. Vance is the creepy dude at the bar.'"

Andrew Harnik / Anna Moneymaker / Getty Images

And that kicked off a ton of responses in a similar meme format! So here are all the best ones:

1."Tim Walz is the guy who will mow your lawn when you break your leg. J.D. Vance is the guy who reports your overgrown lawn to the HOA."

u/starreelynn

2."Tim Walz is the neighbor who helps your little sister study for her geography test. J.D. Vance is the neighbor who says your little sister will be hot in a few years."

u/Mr-and-Mrs

3."Tim Walz is the guy who puts menstrual products in school restrooms. J.D. Vance is the guy who points and laughs at girls with stains."

u/Deedle-Dee-Dee

4."Tim Walz is the guy that brings donuts to work. J.D. Vance is the guy that eats the last one and leaves the empty box on the counter."

u/MadEyeMood989

5."Tim Walz is the guy that pulls over on the highway and changes your flat tire. J.D. Vance is the guy that drives into the rain puddle, splashing you while you’re changing your tire on the side of the road."

u/nibbles200

6."Tim Walz is the guy who tells a funny joke at a party. J.D. Vance is the guy who opens your medicine cabinet."

u/scrunchie_one

7."Tim Walz is the guy who leaves a good tip and says thanks. J.D. Vance is the guy who screams at the waitress."

u/Mmm_lemon_cakes

8."Tim Walz is the guy who thinks 10-year-olds should get school lunches. J.D. Vance is the guy who thinks 10-year-olds have to carry a baby to term."

u/isle_say

9."Tim Walz is the guy who buys the office lunch on Friday. J.D. Vance is the guy who microwaves fish in the break room."

u/Mmm_lemon_cakes

10."Tim Walz is the guy who smiles to himself when he hears the neighborhood children laughing and playing outside on a summer day. J.D. Vance is the guy who calls the police about a loud noise complaint."

u/BlueDragonfly18

11."Tim Walz is the guy who will play Pokémon games with his kid. J.D. Vance will yell at his kid to shut up about Pokémon games."

u/Pragmatism101

12."Tim Walz is the guy who brings over some tools to help you fix a problem. J.D. Vance is the neighbor who borrows your tools and never returns them."

u/Roctapus42

13."Tim Walz is the guy that helps you fix your car. J.D. Vance is the guy who tells you that you can’t park there when it breaks down."

u/Ser_Daynes_Dawn

14."Tim Walz is the type of guy you would ask to walk you home after a late class. J.D. Vance is the reason you need to ask Tim Walz to walk you home after a late class."

u/GipsyDanger45

15."Tim Walz is a dad. J.D. Vance is a father."

u/Kirsten137

16."Tim Walz is the guy who will lend you $20 and never think about it again. J.D. Vance is the guy that will lend you $20 and then charge hourly interest compounded, increased for inflation, and then sue you for $1,000 in small claims court."

u/perljurnwern

17."Tim Walz is the guy who will make sure everyone has a voice at the town meeting. J.D. Vance is the guy who will call others stupid for asking questions."

u/starreelynn

18."Tim Walz moves over so you can merge safely. J.D. Vance matches your speed, forcing you to stop on the on-ramp."

u/Total-Bumblebee-9294

19.And finally, "Tim Walz is the guy who'll help you carry your furniture when you're moving houses. J.D. Vance is the guy who'll put the furniture down and get freaky with it."

u/Cr1m50nSh4d0w

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NY Times/ Siena poll

Harris +5 in AZ

Harris +2 in NC

Trump +4 in GA

Trump +1 in NV.

That's the second poll this week where Harris is ahead in NC which is a state I hadn't really thought was one they could win.

I don't know which polls are most accurate, but Harris has been gaining on almost every poll the last couple of weeks which is really all you can look for with the polling data at this point.  

https://www.realclearpolling.com/latest-polls/election

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

the crazy/horrible/repulsive/MAGA NC GOP candidates for GOV and school superintendent should be a huge help to Harris; to either drive up DEM turnout or drive down GQP enthusiasm

Cooper (who was never a finalist) pulled out of the race because in NC, if you run for another office, you have to step down and that Lt. Governor is a whack job.    Do I think he used that as an excuse if he wasn't a finalist?   No, I think he was being legit there.    I think Copper was out of the country for a few days and the Lt. Gov started making moves without his approval.   Bizarre situation there.  

NC - the key is the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill/Cary area.    A lot of medical and high tech folks there.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Cooper (who was never a finalist) pulled out of the race because in NC, if you run for another office, you have to step down and that Lt. Governor is a whack job.    Do I think he used that as an excuse if he wasn't a finalist?   No, I think he was being legit there.    I think Copper was out of the country for a few days and the Lt. Gov started making moves without his approval.   Bizarre situation there.  

NC - the key is the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill/Cary area.    A lot of medical and high tech folks there.  

Cooper wouldn't have had to step down. The issue is that if he left the state, the Lt. Governor would be acting governor while he was out of state. Naturally, being a VP candidate, he would be out of the state a lot, so he's basically trapped in the state. 

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Cooper wouldn't have had to step down. The issue is that if he left the state, the Lt. Governor would be acting governor while he was out of state. Naturally, being a VP candidate, he would be out of the state a lot, so he's basically trapped in the state. 

and since Gov & Lt. Gov are not the same ticket and it's split, it would be a hostile takeover, in a  sense.  

He could have been like Mark Sanford and just not told anyone he was gone.  

The "I like soldiers that don't get caught"

Kelly confirming the "suckers and losers" quote

VFW having to correct him on his stupid statement

Vance attacking Walz' service

Hey military,  who is on your side here?    Gonna keep voting for the guy who mocks you and only uses you for photo ops (except when it's raining) ? 

Why, because he talks tough? 

You know who else talks tough?   Mr. Patriot and Mr. Pro Gun Ted Nugent, who, when it was his time to step up,  intentionally **** his pants to avoid serving.       

Edited by Motor City Sonics

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Regarding the timing of Tim Walz retirement from the National Guard

He was, what 40?  41?     

Do 40 and 41 year olds typically go into combat? 

Didn't he put in his retirement before his unit was even called up? How is this even a discussion when the guy was already way past his 20?

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Right is convinced that Harris is going to dump him at any time.    

Maybe someone has already written it, but there's a deep-dive article to be written for some publication like The Atlantic or New Yorker about why the GOP/Trump Camp Pain are so focused on the Vice Presidential pick (at the expense of focusing on the actual candidate)... And how even mundane things trigger such strong reactions.

I have a few theories on this case...

Edited by mtutiger

32 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Regarding the timing of Tim Walz retirement from the National Guard

He was, what 40?  41?     

Do 40 and 41 year olds typically go into combat? 

Senior NCOs are usually in the rear with the gear.  I wasn't clear what his unit was.  I just looked it up, he was a red leg, aka artillery.   That generally is a fairly safe job in non-linear global war on terrorism type stuff but would be very dangerous if he was in the Ukrainian or Russian artillery unit right now because they are fighting a war of artillery attrition in a large part of the battlefield.   So, shoot, then scoot and hope the other side doesn't figure out where you are so they can zap you.  The Russians are actually pretty terrible at dynamic targeting so...  Even if Iraq was on their a-game and he was part of the initial surge into Iraq in 2003, he'd have been reasonable safe although worked to death by all the rounds we fired at the Republican Guard.

39 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Meanwhile someone explain to me how companies will not pass along tariff cost to consumers. 

He really understands nothing about economics, which may be why he's been bankrupt multiple times. If tariffs actually work, they will stimulate domestic production, which means tariff revenue will fall and you will eventually need a new revenue source anyway. In the meantime, it also will mean that government revenue will gyrate all over the place as consumption patterns change and as all kinds of factors overseas that drive the cost of imports (which are all largely out of our control) change import buying patterns and the resulting revenue stream. For better or worse, one the biggest virtues of income taxes is their consistency. Even in a major downturn, unemployment seldom goes up by more than a few percent, and it's usually lower tax rate individual that lose the most jobs, so the Gov is able to carry on in reasonable shape through the ups and downs of an economic cycle. A government that collected any major part of its revenues from tariffs would be a budgeting disaster.

And of course, ALL taxes in the economy are paid by consumers - no matter what their type. *Any* tax on a product or corporation is ultimately passed on in the product price, any tax on the consumer is obviously also paid by the consumer. This is a rule with no exceptions. The most you can ever do with tax policy is manipulate which consumers pay what percentage of governments total income.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

If Biden had done this there would be non stop analysis from MSM

In defense of both of them, I would think that day after day after day one place looks like another place and we'd all end up like Spinal Tap saying "Hello Cleveland" when we were in Indianapolis.          But yes, it would have ben an earthquake of a story if it was Biden.   

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He really understands nothing about economics,

He doesn't understand anything about anything except 3 things

1. How to take credit for good things others have done

2. How to throw blame at others for things you did that went bad

3.  How to get himself more attention

And this is why he is coming so unglued.   None of it's working.   He really doesn't have any good news to share about anything he's done (because he hasn't and has NEVER done anything).    He's run out of people to blame for his mistakes.  Most of them have ended up going to jail or making deals to stay out of jail and the big one - Harris is getting more attention than he is without having to resort to anything extreme.    This is driving him insane.   How come he's not the top story all the time?    The press still goes FAR too easy on him (because they want those clicks and views). 

They say his IQ is 145?  I say bull****.   He's an idiot.   But maybe I'm wrong, maybe the smarts are there but the intellectual curiosity is not an that's actually worse.   When you have brains but refuse to use them.   When you lack curiosity, when you lack depth, when you lack reason.   

Donald Trump has never read a book.   Not cover to cover.      

He's a flim-flam man, a carnival barker, a hate trader.   He's good at that and he knows how to hook certain people and that he does extremely well.    The sad part is we have so many people willing to fall for it and if you had someone that could control themselves, it would work on folks in the middle - the "undecideds".      I can't understand how when THIS is one of the 2 or 3 people in this race.  It is scary to think of how a Project 2025 candidate could win.  

• Thanks 1