2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

On 6/29/2022 at 11:33 PM, Tiger337 said:

I think AOC is smart but too idealistic.  If she never learns to to play the game, then she likely won't get far in politics.  If she does learn, I will probably like her less because politicians are full of **** which is one of the big reasons people ignore politics and don't vote.   

She knows more about politics than most of her colleagues, aka she raises more money then most of them.

Now if she could get good at governance along with politics, that would be great.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just a reminder that if hostile foreign countries can and do so easily get kompromat on Trump, they can and will get kompromat on the deepest military secrets of the United States.

15 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Meanwhile someone explain to me how companies will not pass along tariff cost to consumers. 

Never mind explaining it to you. You understand it. Someone explain it to those poor saps sitting behind Trump waving those signs as he spools out that bonkers nonsense.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

And of course, ALL taxes in the economy are paid by consumers - no matter what their type. *Any* tax on a product or corporation is ultimately passed on in the product price, any tax on the consumer is obviously also paid by the consumer. This is a rule with no exceptions. The most you can ever do with tax policy is manipulate which consumers pay what percentage of governments total income.

And in a situation where consumers won’t pay a company’s higher prices due to higher costs like taxes, the company may end up going out of business, which reduces the competitive landscape for that product category and tends to elevate prices as consumers have fewer choices.

It is definitely a balancing game to allow for a virtuous balance between low-enough consumer prices and high-enough seller profits so that everyone feels as though they’re getting a pretty good deal, and government has to be the force that strives for that balance, doing so in the interest of the people, because the capitalist community definitely has no interest in low-enough consumer prices as the ultimate outcome.

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

She knows more about politics than most of her colleagues, aka she raises more money then most of them.

Now if she could get good at governance along with politics, that would be great.

I don’t think AOC is any worse at “governance” than any other congressional rep with her level of experience. I do think she is more than smart enough to embrace the realpolitik needed to carefully craft her asks to get something close to what she in her heart wants, and I also think she is smart enough to become a respected party leader at some point. I hope to live long enough to see some evidence of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think AOC is any worse at “governance” than any other congressional rep with her level of experience. I do think she is more than smart enough to embrace the realpolitik needed to carefully craft her asks to get something close to what she in her heart wants, and I also think she is smart enough to become a respected party leader at some point. I hope to live long enough to see some evidence of this.

I think it's pretty impressive that he has done what she has politically at her age against a bunch of connected and experienced old farts.  She gets a lot of attention (both negative and positive) because she is young and attractive and outspoken, but I believe she is smart.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think it's pretty impressive that he has done what she has politically at her age against a bunch of connected and experienced old farts.  She gets a lot of attention (both negative and positive) because she is young and attractive and outspoken, but I believe she is smart.  

Maybe she gets dismissed by old-timey politicos because they think she looks like one of the hookers they used to bang up in Spanish Harlem when they were going to Columbia or King’s College back in the 70s and 80s. They are also disoriented because they expect someone who looks like her to talk like Sofia Vergara.

26 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Adam Kinzinger is speaking on Thursday night.  I would suppose he's less red flag the rank and file than Liz Cheney would be.

The convention is also in his home state. Being a Cheney is toxic to Democrats. Before Trump, **** Cheney was probably the most hated Republican. 

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Could you imagine Trump trying to do this?

The woman sitting next to Kamala apparently can't believe her good fortune that she volunteered for phone bank for that shift.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1