2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

27 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Don't these guys have any real stories to cover?

they could report on GQP's detailed policy plans in Project 2025, but they think, probably correctly, that a lot of Americans are more interested in gossip.

saw a lot of tweets that Dems did not remove all of the references to Biden's 2nd term in their platform documents. I suppose that's a short story: sloppy work by the Dems. But that's a great opportunity because if they DID remove Biden's name, the story could be: Dems erase all traces of Biden, blah, blah, blah

15 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

The minister of the church Trump's family attended was Norman Vincent Peale. Peale was the author of the book The Power of Positive Thinking. He was also one of the early national radio and TV evangelists along with Billy Graham, Oral Robert's, Fulton Sheen, etc.

What Trump learned from Peale was "believe in yourself" which I believe Trump translated to Me First. That is his true faith, The Church of Trump.

Norman Vincent Peale ran what snake-handling evangelicals would call a “cult”.

12 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

This alone should be disqualifying for Trump

Tweet buried the lede here: song goes, “make the ballots fake on Election Day; no matter who votes, counts on the take …” Basically, the vote’s going to be fake no matter what. To be a Trump voter is to have zero faith in the electoral process, and if you don’t win power by the vote, what does that leave as the only way to win power?

22 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

My guess is that his speech will be some version of, "I am in disagreement with much of the platform at this convention, and in normal times I would be at the RNC arguing against it, but in the end, we would all be on the same side: America's side. That is what democracy is all about. But these are not normal times. We are in an existential crisis, democracy is on the brink, and that being the case there is only one way I can vote: for democracy. And democracy is being upheld by only one candidate, which is why I will cast my vote for Kamala Harris for President of the United States."

Edited by chasfh

Nothing wrong with that. You can be in AOC's court and vote for Harris. You can be a conservative like Kinzinger and vote for Harris. There's no wide net like that being cast on the other side. You're either a Trump sycophant or you're not invited to the party.

As I often quote PJ O Rourke in 2016 "I think Hillary Clinton is wrong on everything.  But she's wrong within normal parameters"

Most of the time politics can be worked out in a middle groud but I think Obama's election did away with that.  It also started with Gingrich on a smaller scale but Clinton outsmarted them.  But they never forgot.  The point of congress after his election became denying the oppostion party's re-election. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oblong said:

As I often quote PJ O Rourke in 2016 "I think Hillary Clinton is wrong on everything.  But she's wrong within normal parameters"

Most of the time politics can be worked out in a middle groud but I think Obama's election did away with that.  It also started with Gingrich on a smaller scale but Clinton outsmarted them.  But they never forgot.  The point of congress after his election became denying the oppostion party's re-election. 

Mitch McConnell infamously said it was his job to make Obama a one term president. 

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Right, Does it really make a difference if you watched the speech last night or this morning?  

The question is how many people would have watched it last night but won't today? With 4 of 7 swing states in the Eastern Time Zone, I wish it was an hour earlier. 

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The question is how many people would have watched it last night but won't today? With 4 of 7 swing states in the Eastern Time Zone, I wish it was an hour earlier. 

I think that anybody watching the whole DNC live has already decided that they are voting for Harris.  

• Like 1