2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Seriously. Al Davis said it best, "Just win, Baby..."

The purity test **** is a road to nowhere.

It's not a purity test to take a moral stand against a man who is personally responsible for the death of over 400,000 Iraqi Civilians and 4,000 American servicemembers. It's not a purity test to want a man who authorized torture of human beings to be held accountable for war crimes committed at his direction.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Barack Obama and Joe Biden didn't fabricate or doctor intelligence reports to gin up support for the Iraq War. They didn't make up connections between Saddam and Al-Qaeda. They didn't say that Saddam was looking to buy yellow cake uranium from Niger to enrich uranium and build a nuclear weapon. They didn't say that aluminum rods and tubes were used for WMDs and chemical weapons. They didn't send Colin Powell to the UN to read out an intelligence report that was largely baseless and built on lies. They didn't condone the use of human torture like waterboarding, sicking dogs on people, and on. Abu Garib didn't happen under their watches as Commanders in Chief. They didn't authorize the use of use chemical weapons and drop white phosphorous bombs on human beings in Fallujah. DubyaMD did all of that.

Thought exercise:

Let's say George W. Bush isn't the mystery guest tonight, but at a later date issues a statement endorsing Kamala Harris.

Do you think it is an obligation of Kamala Harris to publicly rebuke Bush and decline his endorsement?

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Barack Obama and Joe Biden didn't fabricate or doctor intelligence reports to gin up support for the Iraq War. They didn't make up connections between Saddam and Al-Qaeda. They didn't say that Saddam was looking to buy yellow cake uranium from Niger to enrich uranium and build a nuclear weapon. They didn't say that aluminum rods and tubes were used for WMDs and chemical weapons. They didn't send Colin Powell to the UN to read out an intelligence report that was largely baseless and built on lies. They didn't condone the use of human torture like waterboarding, sicking dogs on people, and on. Abu Garib didn't happen under their watches as Commanders in Chief. They didn't authorize the use of use chemical weapons and drop white phosphorous bombs on human beings in Fallujah. DubyaMD did all of that.

Colin Powell endorsed Biden. He would probably endorse Harris if he were still alive. Impure. 

25 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Thought exercise:

Let's say George W. Bush isn't the mystery guest tonight, but at a later date issues a statement endorsing Kamala Harris.

Do you think it is an obligation of Kamala Harris to publicly rebuke Bush and decline his endorsement?

I'm torn on that one because there is a difference between Bush acting as a private citizen and Bush being invited by a political part to speak in a primetime slot at their convention. While I don't believe George W. Bush should be a free, private citizen, he is and does get afforded the right to endorse who he pleases and announce it publicly if he pleases. So I wouldn't say she has an obligation to say "no thanks" to his endorsement, but she herself or her VP candidate Tim Walz shouldn't be leaning into his support. I would prefer if she did rebuke it. I'd prefer that she make a public commitment to turn Bush over to an international court to be tried for war crimes, the use of torture, and the use of chemical weapons, but we both know that's never happening.

Two questions back. One, do you believe George W. Bush is responsible for war crimes due to actions taken in the Iraqi War? If yes, is it morally acceptable for someone to accept the support of a person you believed to have committed war crimes against human beings?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm torn on that one because there is a difference between Bush acting as a private citizen and Bush being invited by a political part to speak in a primetime slot at their convention. While I don't believe George W. Bush should be a free, private citizen, he is and does get afforded the right to endorse who he pleases and announce it publicly if he pleases. So I wouldn't say she has an obligation to say "no thanks" to his endorsement, but she herself or her VP candidate Tim Walz shouldn't be leaning into his support. I would prefer if she did rebuke it. I'd prefer that she make a public commitment to turn Bush over to an international court to be tried for war crimes, the use of torture, and the use of chemical weapons, but we both know that's never happening.

Two questions back. One, do you believe George W. Bush is responsible for war crimes due to actions taken in the Iraqi War? If yes, is it morally acceptable for someone to accept the support of a person you believed to have committed war crimes against human beings?

No one ****ing cares. We want to defeat Trump. If Bush helps us do that, than mission accomplished. 

27 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

right wing twitter be melting down about the possibility it is Swift; if it is her, they will lose it

Just the idea that they are freaking out over the possibility is beautiful.   Not really a fan of her music, but she paid EVERYONE on her tour a $100,000 bonus and I'm like "she's cool" now.    This really would make me a Swifty (sort of), but it might be the Democrats just ****ing with the Right.    I think John Kelly would be more devastating because he has "dirt" on Trump.  

The mother****er needs to answer for "suckers" and "losers".   He needs to answer for the Medal Of Valor fiasco.    I'm as anti-war as anyone, but don't ever spit on the soldiers.  They didn't get us into any wars, they were just brave enough to fight it.   Takes a lot more mettle than I could ever muster.  Takes a lot more Sacrifice than Trump's ever given.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just the idea that they are freaking out over the possibility is beautiful.   Not really a fan of her music, but she paid EVERYONE on her tour a $100,000 bonus and I'm like "she's cool" now.    This really would make me a Swifty (sort of), but it might be the Democrats just ****ing with the Right.    I think John Kelly would be more devastating because he has "dirt" on Trump.  

The mother****er needs to answer for "suckers" and "losers".   He needs to answer for the Medal Of Valor fiasco.    I'm as anti-war as anyone, but don't ever spit on the soldiers.  They didn't get us into any wars, they were just brave enough to fight it.   Takes a lot more mettle than I could ever muster.  Takes a lot more Sacrifice than Trump's ever given.  

I wasn't old enough to know it at the time but the Yes song "yours is no disgrace" was about the guys fighting in Vietnam.  It impresses me that they did that.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I wasn't old enough to know it at the time but the Yes song "yours is no disgrace" was about the guys fighting in Vietnam.  It impresses me that they did that.  

I was less than 10 years old during Vietnam, and I would like to think that as much as I would have been anti-war (if I was old enough), that I never would have spit at or shouted at or thrown anything at a returning soldier, but I think I probably would have gone along with the crowd on that.     That was disgusting.    Those guys didn't want to be there and they got pulled or lied into fighting an unwinnable war to save face.   It was never on them.   The **** they saw and had to do and then to come home and be treated like that -  shameful bout of extremism.    Extremism is almost never good.    Should have spit on and shouted at our leaders on that one, but not the soldiers.    Extremism is why I refuse to vote for Tlaib (who I agree with on almost everything).  I just can't get past it with her now.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grampa.   Yesterday Josh said I was prejudiced. 

Do you know what prejudiced is? 

No

Well, prejudiced is when you react to someone because of their religion or their color

But I don't do that

Well who's Josh? 

He's one my Jewish enemies 

Well then you ARE prejudiced because you think of Josh as your JEWISH enemy and not your enemy.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics