2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wanted to hear why the guy in the upper right corner decided to vote for Trump based on what he saw.

Didn't see in real time, but reportedly said she wasn't ready / didn't have the experience to be POTUS

38 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I watched most of the speeches last night which meant I was starting to glaze over at all the soaring and swooping rhetoric.  I think Big Gretch was good but not awesome.  She did her job.   The best of those not doing something overtly emotive like the gun violence survivors/advocates (inc. Giffords) was Adam Kinzinger.  He nailed his job.  Mark Kelly you could tell was not on the ticket for a reason after that speech.   

Kamela came on stage at that place when I was so tired that i had started blacking out.  She seemed excellent.  I forced myself to watch to the end.  If she missed a note, I don't recall it. 

I thought Big Gretch came on too campy and jokey. She needed to dial that down by 30% or 40%. It was a little hard for me to take her seriously at first. A sly joke here and there, that’s great; doing an actual bit with big facial and hand gestures is out of place for someone of her presumed stature. Although she is quite dishy, so I forgive her.

We all have seen plenty of Adam Kinzinger on various non-red hat media so we’re used to him, but the relatively tepid response by the crowd to him at first made me wonder whether many of the delegates even knew who he was. Like, who’s this square-headed guy and are we still in the right place?

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't understand how people think he's tough.   

He’s middle-school-bully tough, which is when most of these red hats stopped paying any attention in school, so maybe all their pecking order expectations are frozen in place based on that experience?

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I thought Big Gretch came on too campy and jokey. She needed to dial that down by 30% or 40%. It was a little hard for me to take her seriously at first. A sly joke here and there, that’s great; doing an actual bit with big facial and hand gestures is out of place for someone of her presumed stature. Although she is quite dishy, so I forgive her.

We all have seen plenty of Adam Kinzinger on various non-red hat media so we’re used to him, but the relatively tepid response by the crowd to him at first made me wonder whether many of the delegates even knew who he was. Like, who’s this square-headed guy and are we still in the right place?

Yeah, he had to earn that crowd and i think he did.  

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Given how the entire premise of RFK's candidacy was to take a big giant **** on the Democratic Party, it shouldn't be mystifying why they didn't give him much respect or listen to his pitch lol

Those reasons in the tweet should be 2) and 3). Reason 1) should have been “he’s ****ing nuts.”

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Kinzinger, along with Geoff Duncan, John Giles, Stephanie Grisham on previous nights, were more for people outside the hall versus inside the hall.

He's not the most dynamic speaker in the world, but the content of his speech was pretty potent IMO

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Didn't see in real time, but reportedly said she wasn't ready / didn't have the experience to be POTUS

Joe Biden has the experience to be POTUS. Maybe the guy can write Joe in.

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Given how the entire premise of RFK's candidacy was to take a big giant **** on the Democratic Party, it shouldn't be mystifying why they didn't give him much respect or listen to his pitch lol

Yeah, it was always a vessel for the crazier people on the left and sane people know that. 

Just now, romad1 said:

Yeah, it was always a vessel for the crazier people on the left and sane people know that. 

For sure.... not on Weigel but rather that NY Post reporter, the content is just so disingenuous. And for reasons that are no-doubt motivated, inflates RFK's importance at this juncture or the leverage that he would have with a D Party that he went out of his way to **** on the entire election up to this point. Not to mention the incompatibility of many of RFK's nutty beliefs

so, its illegal in the US to offer a cabinet position to someone in exchange for political support. don't know if that has ever been used; don't know if that laws stands up with the Roberts Court bozos; but I'd bet you could easily get Trump to admit what they offered RFK to drop out.

Reporter: Sir, you make great deals. The best deals. Was it hard - probably not for you, it was probably easy - was it hard to get RFK to drop out?

You build great organizations, great teams, great companies because no one knows talent more than you. Who decided where Bobby works best? Was it you or someone else? And what is that cabinet position?

I literally forgot she existed.  She's perfect for the NY Times... a relic from a bygone era.  She can take Maureen Dowd with her.  Those people are analyzing a game that no longer exists.  They are the Bob Costas of political punditry.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

To the latter part of her point - Kamala is able to get away with it in part because even though Biden has served as President for the last 3.5 years, this era (from Summer 2015 to now) has been singularly defined by one individual - Donald J. Trump. Like, when historians look back at this era (hopefully ending this year), he's going to be the one person we all remember (not Biden or HRC or Bernie Sanders or whoever).

So of course she's the change candidate.... for people who want this era to end (and there are a lot of them - Trump is still not a popular figure), she's the person left in the race who can make that happen. Certainly in a way Biden never could.

It's so obvious, yet these commentators who act confused that a sitting VP can make a "change" argument always seem to want to avoid it.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

To the latter part of her point - Kamala is able to get away with it in part because even though Biden has served as President for the last 3.5 years, this era (from Summer 2015 to now) has been singularly defined by one individual - Donald J. Trump. Like, when historians look back at this era (hopefully ending this year), he's going to be the one person we all remember (not Biden or HRC or Bernie Sanders or whoever).

So of course she's the change candidate.... for people who want this era to end (and there are a lot of them - Trump is still not a popular figure), she's the person left in the race who can make that happen. Certainly in a way Biden never could.

It's so obvious, yet these commentators who act confused that a sitting VP can make a "change" argument always seem to want to avoid it.

Peggy knows in her heart that her personal version of Christianity is 1000 times closer to Kamela's fusion of faiths from her Jamaican father, Indian mother and Jewish husband than Donald Trump's gemeinshchaft durch freunde fascism.   That she can't choke that out in her columns is because she has yet to suffer any penalty for her delusion. 

Edited by romad1

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Besides, the current GOP wasn't using it. Who knew that believing in democracy and freedom was the sole property of one political party

Exactly.  They're clearly and loudly the Party Of Hate now and the Party who wants to buddy up to Putin and Kim.     Go ahead and call her a Commie, but she'll never say she "fell in love" with either one of those tyrants.