2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

The young women I know are going to be instructed not to name their softball teams anything too overtly political because "Single Cat Ladies" might be a bit too on the nose.

The young women who identify with “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” ain’t quite so young anymore. 😉

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

The young women who identify with “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” ain’t quite so young anymore. 😉

different group than are on my 14U/18U softball team who desperately want to change their name from the coach-labeled "Omega Force" but who have yet to settle on the right name. 

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There is a large number of men who just can't handle having any woman in any management position.   They're very insecure. 

I had plenty of women bosses throughout the 1980s into the 2010s. I never thought I had preconceived notions going into the relationship, and yet, they were always the bosses I had the most trouble with. I believe it was in part my fault, because I am borderline on the behavioral spectrum and from a family of seven kids, which manifests in my case in directness, honesty, and audio volume; and in part their fault, since their presumed emotional intelligence did not extend to an understanding of people who are borderline on the behavioral spectrum. 

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

which manifests in my case in directness, honesty, and audio volume;

I think there has  - traditionally at least, been a difference in how how boys and girls were socialized. Not sure how I would encapsulate it in brief  -- maybe the difference is exactly on the "directness scale." I don't know if in science/engineering that's less of an issue because men and women in those fields are already more aligned personality/attitude wise

In my case I ran into the same kind of differences on the directness scale between ethnic cultures. My wife's family was very West Euro, I'm Middle Eastern. They used to drive me crazy because none of them ever came out and said anything directly, every communication was a dance around the heart of the matter for fear of upsetting someone. My socialization was put it all out there and hash it out, and if that gets noisy, that's OK. It was OK to mad at someone for 5 minutes and then it's over - no harm, no foul.

Edited by gehringer_2

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think there has  - traditionally at least, been a difference in how how boys and girls were socialized. Not sure how I would encapsulate it in brief  -- maybe the difference is exactly on the "directness scale." I don't know if in science/engineering that's less of an issue because men and women in those fields are already more aligned personality/attitude wise

I came from a family of six boys and a girl, so there may be something to this.

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In my case I ran into the same kind of differences on the directness scale between ethnic cultures. My wife's family was very West Euro, I'm Middle Eastern. They used to drive me crazy because none of them ever came out and said anything directly, every communication was a dance around the heart of the matter for fear of upsetting someone. My socialization was put it all out there and hash it out, and if that gets noisy, that's OK. It was OK to mad at someone for 5 minutes and then it's over - no harm, no foul.

West Euro may be kind of broad because my impression of ancient to middle ages European cultural history is that the Germanic tribes are themselves very direct and not the type to pussyfoot around issues. I may have that wrong, though.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I had plenty of women bosses throughout the 1980s into the 2010s. I never thought I had preconceived notions going into the relationship, and yet, they were always the bosses I had the most trouble with. I believe it was in part my fault, because I am borderline on the behavioral spectrum and from a family of seven kids, which manifests in my case in directness, honesty, and audio volume; and in part their fault, since their presumed emotional intelligence did not extend to an understanding of people who are borderline on the behavioral spectrum. 

I don't really care about gender.  I had so many awful bosses in radio (all men) that I just wanted someone who treated people fairly.  Then I worked for the hospital and it was all women and they were great bosses.    I went back into radio full time and my company's CEO is now a female - and it's a MUCH better environment than it was a decade ago and her attitude towards employees has everything to do with that.     

But you know, if the power dynamic with men and women was reversed, you'd probably see many of the same behaviors over time.   I mean, it sounds like Carly Fiorina and Elizabeth Holmes were terrors to work for.    Of course Lizzie was covering up a $9 billion fraud, but still, there are exceptions to all rules.  

But some guys won't even let their wives/girlfriends DRIVE, much less work for a woman.  Takes a long time to shake that type of attitude because you get that from your father or grandfather.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't really care about gender.  I had so many awful bosses in radio (all men) that I just wanted someone who treated people fairly.  Then I worked for the hospital and it was all women and they were great bosses.    I went back into radio full time and my company's CEO is now a female - and it's a MUCH better environment than it was a decade ago and her attitude towards employees has everything to do with that.     

But you know, if the power dynamic with men and women was reversed, you'd probably see many of the same behaviors over time.   I mean, it sounds like Carly Fiorina and Elizabeth Holmes were terrors to work for.    Of course Lizzie was covering up a $9 billion fraud, but still, there are exceptions to all rules.  

But some guys won't even let their wives/girlfriends DRIVE, much less work for a woman.  Takes a long time to shake that type of attitude because you get that from your father or grandfather.  

I have no problem excising any fundy baby mentality among my associates.  Just no time for that crap. 

I like a tough Michigan chick as a boss or as a companion.  They knew what you were when you were a snotnose, they know they can see your BS.   Many are pretty acceptable as people as well.  I married one, she's great. 

Edited by romad1
  • Like 1