2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Nice response. 

We're all cackling about this and we all like it when someone shoves it right up Trump's ass, but I'm trying to figure out what the 4-D chess here is, meaning, saying the quiet part about the Trump microphone strategy out loud. It feels like this could backfire on the Harris campaign, although I'm not really sure about whether or how. I'm guessing the campaign game-planned it all out before releasing it.

Edited by chasfh

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If/when Bush and Romney come out for them, I'll be super impressed.

If they do, I think that might be an "October surprise".    I am interested in seeing what the John Kelly/Rex Tillerson angle might be - because I am very certain that they both absolutely hate Donald Trump.   I am thinking all of them might be waiting to see how tight the race is later on before they take that plunge.    

I can't think of a time where I really switched parties, at least for one office,  because my candidate was so bad.  I can tell you I did NOT vote for Geoffrey Feiger for Governor,  but I also did not vote for John Engler that election - I just left it blank.  If it had been somebody less repulsive than Engler, I would have actually held me nose and voted R.    I voted R once, when I lived in New Mexico, for a candidate who was going to win anyway and he wasn't that bad. 

Engler's mismanagement of the Nassar situation at MSU was not the least bit surprising and it's why I could not vote for him - even over a huckster like Feiger.   John Engler was being John Englar.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We're all cackling about this and we all like it when someone shoves it right up Trump's ass, but I'm trying to figure out what the 4-D chess here is, meaning, saying the quiet part about the Trump microphone strategy out loud. It feels like this could backfire on the Harris campaign, although I'm not really sure about whether or how. I'm guessing the campaign game-planned it all out before releasing it.

I think it’s simply pushing back and playing his game but not at his level.  They are poking at his insecurities.  Teasing rather than trying to humiliate.  He’s used to having that all go himself. 

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If they do, I think that might be an "October surprise".    I am interested in seeing what the John Kelly/Rex Tillerson angle might be - because I am very certain that they both absolutely hate Donald Trump.   I am thinking all of them might be waiting to see how tight the race is later on before they take that plunge.    

Jim Mattis is one I am eyeing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Interesting that GenX men have become more conservative than the boomers. But ages around 40's and 50's are the period when breadwinners are in their 'greediest', most tax hating phase so it's partly just the economic conservatism natural to that age group.

This would have been about 10-15 years ago, but I remember reading that many people who came of age when Reagan was President lean farther to the right than others. Not sure what happened in my case... to say I was never a fan of Reagan is an understatement.

26 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

This would have been about 10-15 years ago, but I remember reading that many people who came of age when Reagan was President lean farther to the right than others. Not sure what happened in my case... to say I was never a fan of Reagan is an understatement.

Ditto.

32 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

I agree with you there.  I came of age during the 80s and I thought he was awful, though he was a good salesman.  

I think I really became anti-Republican in the late 80s when they started going after single mothers.    Single mothers are the ones who stuck around.   The fathers bolted.   The mothers were the tough ones.     Women are not usually physically stronger than men, but they are WAY tougher than men.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaceyLou said:

For those that weren't there: If you were too young to remember mystique of the Camelot Dems or the corruption of Nixon GOP, and just had Carter and Reagan in your memory, you would remember the Dems as feckless, impotent over Iran, confused, moralizing,  overseeing a hollowed out shell of a military, and at a loss over rampant inflation that threatening the collapse the economy in a way that this last round never got close to. The other thing that most people don't remember about inflation then was that tax brackets were not indexed then. Each year inflation was not only driving the cost of living, but also pushing people into higher tax brackets, which was just the icing on the cake for people's fury at the Carter admin. OTOH, Reagan may not always have had his facts straight on everything, but he fixed what was wrong (at least short term - nobody saw the long term income distribution disaster in the making) in a way Carter never looked like he was close to finding and he had some superstars in his cabinet in Schultz, Dole and Baker.  So if that was your era, and you still believe in the GOP as the problem solving party - there is reason.

The thing to remember for todays young Dems looking back now and wondering  is that the wise old soul that Jimmy Carter has become is not the president he was.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Jim Mattis is one I am eyeing. 

It coudn't hurt, and It would be a nice campaign talking point or commercial. But I wouldn't expect any ex-GOP endorsements of Harris to make much difference. There will be some undecideds who will remember who Mattis is and give value to his opinion but it will be pretty meaningless to your average low information voter - they won't know or care who he is.

I think Mitt is the only guy who might move some votes, and as noted, I don't think he will go there.

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Neither will. I could see Romney saying he won't vote for Trump, but not that he would vote D.

Bush is never going to leave his easel again.

Hasn't Romney already said that already. I remember him saying he was going to write in his wife's name on his ballot. He said considering his residence is Utah, it really doesn't matter.

Edited by CMRivdogs

11 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Hasn't Romney already said that already. I remember him saying he was going to write in his wife's name on his ballot. He said considering his residence is Utah, it really doesn't matter.

I think you are correct.

To me it's a moral cop out. He finds Trump's election repugnant enough he won't vote for him, but he won't do anything to help stop it either (like a D endorsement). To me you are saying you don't really care if a bad thing happens as long as your fingerprints aren't on it directly. I don't see how that washes ethically. YMMV.

That's exactly what Walz highlighted in his speech - that in a community you have a positive obligation to help, whether you view that as a moral imperative or just as an obligation of citizenship.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

That is a cop-out.  Period.

But the reason that Romney doesn't feel the conflict is that it's not Trump as president that bothers him. the Blue side wonders why Mitt can't cross the line when it looks like he wants to, but that is a misreading. Mitts is disgusted by Trump the man, not Trump the President. Its personal, not policy. So he wants to disassociate himself from the man, but not necessarily  from a GOP Presidency that conducts itself like Trumps. He's not really the friend to the pro-democracy, expansion of rights, good government types they think he is.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3

Mitt’s a lot like Utah Gov Spencer Cox who has been touring the country on a campaign to “disagree better”, an attempt to bring back a bit of civility into the political discussion. Yet he has actually endorsed Trump in recent weeks. It makes no sense to me.

But then maybe it’s just that Mormons are just plain weird