2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Listening to Tim Miller talking to Bill Kristol today.  Miller says that Liz Cheney definitely plans to endorse Harris and there are others that are in the strategic plan but the Harris campaign needs to do a bit more on this score to get the former Trump officials to do the needful. 

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Mitts is disgusted by Trump the man, not Trump the President. Its personal, not policy. So he wants to disassociate himself from the man, but not necessarily  from a GOP Presidency that conducts itself like Trumps. He's not really the friend to the pro-democracy, expansion of rights, good government types they think he is.

I wouldn’t think an oligarchical venture capitalist would be for any of those things.

9 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Mitt’s a lot like Utah Gov Spencer Cox who has been touring the country on a campaign to “disagree better”, an attempt to bring back a bit of civility into the political discussion. Yet he has actually endorsed Trump in recent weeks. It makes no sense to me.

But then maybe it’s just that Mormons are just plain weird 

Sounds a little like whistling past the graveyard. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

This is the future of the theocrats and powernuts.   The kleptocrats will benefit from all the additional low-wage workers in their service.

I think the director of the commercial made a brilliant choice by having the cop character speak very quietly and in a calm and measured way, versus having him bark and rage at the dad and daughter characters, which would have made him come off almost like a cartoon southern sheriff. The cold, calculated way he detailed the charges for which he was arresting them was very chilling, like it was matter-of-fact business, and that, to me, feels even scarier.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Listening to Tim Miller talking to Bill Kristol today.  Miller says that Liz Cheney definitely plans to endorse Harris and there are others that are in the strategic plan but the Harris campaign needs to do a bit more on this score to get the former Trump officials to do the needful. 

I’m wondering whether top Republicans endorsing Harris will drive even more red hats to the polls as they decide they need to do their part to save the country from Democrat Party communists and their running dog RINOS. If Trump were to not highlight that in his messaging, then he and that whole campaign would be asleep at the wheel.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I’m wondering whether top Republicans endorsing Harris will drive even more red hats to the polls as they decide they need to do their part to save the country from Democrat Party communists and their running dog RINOS. If Trump were to not highlight that in his messaging, then he and that whole campaign would be asleep at the wheel.

The normies are what we are after.   

54 minutes ago, romad1 said:

By chance do you work with Indians?  "Do the needful" is a phrase I see a lot from my friends in Chennai.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the director of the commercial made a brilliant choice by having the cop character speak very quietly and in a calm and measured way, versus having him bark and rage at the dad and daughter characters, which would have made him come off almost like a cartoon southern sheriff. The cold, calculated way he detailed the charges for which he was arresting them was very chilling, like it was matter-of-fact business, and that, to me, feels even scarier.

Was that David Harbour as the Sheriff ? 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

By chance do you work with Indians?  "Do the needful" is a phrase I see a lot from my friends in Chennai.

People who spent time in Afghanistan say that too apparently.   I did borrow it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Tim is pissed that those that have been so critical haven't been vocal lately.  I personally wanted to see Bush, Christie, Esper, Kelly, McMaster, etc, even if they didn't have a speaking role, come out and wave to the crowd at the DNC.  But I also need to remember the democrats want to use that convention to solidify their base just as much as to invite those on the fence in.

There is still a lot of time left, so maybe we'll still see them and maybe there is more coordination in how to use them than Miller is aware.  

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Tim is pissed that those that have been so critical haven't been vocal lately.  I personally wanted to see Bush, Christie, Esper, Kelly, McMaster, etc, even if they didn't have a speaking role, come out and wave to the crowd at the DNC.  But I also need to remember the democrats want to use that convention to solidify their base just as much as to invite those on the fence in.

There is still a lot of time left, so maybe we'll still see them and maybe there is more coordination in how to use them than Miller is aware.  

He seemed aware of the Liz Cheney part of it.  

14 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I think it's understandable that there are conservatives who may want Trump to lose but still don't want to go as far as overtly cooperating with Dems because they still believe that once Trump is off the stage there will be a GOP for which they will have to pick up the pieces and if they switch sides overtly, they think they won't be able to do that. And there are still local and state parties they are loyal to that haven't been totally Trumpified.

They may end up being wrong, but the outcome is still an unknown.

Edited by gehringer_2

Liz is less of a surprise because like Adam, she served on J6, and has been pretty vocal and consistent in her speakings on Trump.  Not like Haley.

That's where I think there's some value, marginal but every 1/4 point counts, in guys like Kelly and Mattis and other non political members of his cabinet, along with Judge Luttig, to come forward.  It further emphasizses the "weird" vs "normal" contrast but doing so in an adult and proper way rather than just making fun of them.

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Seriously? He can't keep straight when he was President? What's even crazier is that he supposedly always has some Hope Hicks replacement babe (like Margo Martin) working his posts and they are apparently as dense as he is.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

malaise

low energy

There has been a lot of empty seats at his rallies I have been noticing as of late. Now, that might not mean anything. But having empty seats in large arenas isn't usually a sign of the campaign with all the energy and momentum. That said, he increased his turnout from 2016 to 2020 and brought new people into the fold. So maybe rally attendance and enthusiasm matters not.