2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Remember,  RFK Jr. not only helped drive his wife to suicide, he often took nude pictures of the women he was cheating with and showed it to his pals (the ones he goes Falconing with?).   He also sexually assaulted the babysitter.  Family name got him out of it.     RFK Jr is a ****ing scumbag, he's a perfect pal for Trump.  

• Like 1

I have only seen clips of the interview, but it seems like she did fine in what I saw... which, given that the Rs spent the last month saying that she was the worst interviewer in history, means that the bar was absolutely floor level and she likely far exceeded it.

Someone correct me if I'm off base here.

Edited by mtutiger

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I have only seen clips of the interview, but it seems like she did fine in what I saw... which, given that the Rs spent the last month saying that she was the worst interviewer in history, means that the bar was absolutely floor level and she likely far exceeded it.

Someone correct me if I'm off base here.

what I saw was fine but I I switched to record it as I was tired of waiting through all the junk. I'll watch the rest later.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Remember,  RFK Jr. not only helped drive his wife to suicide, he often took nude pictures of the women he was cheating with and showed it to his pals (the ones he goes Falconing with?).   He also sexually assaulted the babysitter.  Family name got him out of it.     RFK Jr is a ****ing scumbag, he's a perfect pal for Trump.  

Sounds a bit like his uncle.  

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

what I saw was fine but I I switched to record it as I was tired of waiting through all the junk. I'll watch the rest later.

I doubt I'll even end up watching it, just thought the media frenzy surrounding this thing was ridiculous. And that the Trump GOP, for whatever reason, loves to lower the bar for their opponents to the point where it's a speed bump rather than an actual obstacle.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I doubt I'll even end up watching it, just thought the media frenzy surrounding this thing was ridiculous. And that the Trump GOP, for whatever reason, loves to lower the bar for their opponents to the point where it's a speed bump rather than an actual obstacle.

All he has to do is tell his cult it will be a terrible interview and they will believe it without watching it.  Fox News will air a 15 second clip where they take her out of context.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

She was fine, it was a waste of time.   Nothing particularly memorable

33 minutes ago, pfife said:

She was fine, it was a waste of time.   Nothing particularly memorable

It goes back to the fact that voters have all the wrong premises when looking at candidates and the media just drives the misconceptions. How did Reagan win 49 states? It was not by being a policy wonk or giving a lot of chapter and verse on policy detail, it was by persuading voters that they could trust his judgement to do things in the public interest. And even the worst things that Reagan did - starting down the trickle down path - he did in the belief that it would work for everyone the way he described it, so even though he was wrong, the public picked up on his sincerity that he thought he would lift all the boats with tax policy reform.

So a question like "will you embargo arms to Israel" is a fundamentally dumb one to ask a candidate. That's a level of situational detail that can only be assessed when the exact time comes that that decision is ripe to be made. It's not important that the candidate have a position on it now, it's important the candidate create trust in the public mind that they will make the right decision given the situation when it has to be made. The press complains, and a politicians opponents complain because it's much easier to play the 'gotcha' thing if a candidate allows themselves to be pinned down to what eventually becomes a "wrong" answer. It's fine that the opposition does this, that's their right, but the media misunderstands what people actually vote for if they think those position details are the core of what gets people elected and it's why the central mass of the public just tunes out on so much of the argument. Positions statements are useful to candidates only to the degree they help  paint a candidate's philosophy at the broadest level, not the detail level. And of course for anything that has to be legislated it will be miles between the proposal and the finished product anyway.

I think the Harris campaign understands this and they are basically taking a page out of "Morning in America." They want the campaign to be about creating an emotional aura that forms a break with the vitriolic politics since ....well pretty much since Gingrich, but of course mostly since Trump.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Sounds a bit like his uncle.  

The "Weird" thing doesn't have to get much further past falconry.  I mean you could tell me he was a LARPer who tried to bring a dead body to life with a glitter spell.