2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I haven't spent too much time digesting reaction to her interview.  I watched it.  It was fine.  She didn't hurt herself and didn't set the world on fire.  I don't see any issue with that.  

But I suspect reaction is once again evidence of a dobule standard.

Trump gives an interview and says Trump Stuff, all the wild bat **** ideas and conspiracy theories.  

Media:  That's just how he is

Kamala gives a standard matter of fact interview.  Nothing crazy.  Perhaps a bit of word salad.  Doesn't hit a home run though.

Media:  Critical. A speed bump?  Is this a crack?

Her interview was pretty much in line with any other candidate's interview over the last 50 years.  But she's a black woman facing Trump so there has to be something said about it somehow.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, oblong said:

Her interview was pretty much in line with any other candidate's interview over the last 50 years.  But she's a black woman facing Trump so there has to be something said about it somehow.

It's like the old Ginger Rodger's, Fred Astaire quote. Ginger did everything Astaire did. She did it backward and on heels.

Harris did pivot somewhat to the middle from 4 years ago in the primaries. Most candidates do. I would imagine 4 years in the administration also gives one a much different perspective than someone from the outside looking in. 

She's running as a continuation of Biden's first term, much better than the chaos of 2017-2021

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

thankly they are REALLY bad at this

The "he's just joking" excuses, which we have heard for eight years, are always interesting as it is usually applied to things that really are painfully unfunny to begin with. Or not thought of as comedy in any traditional sense.

I guess when I think comedy, I think Bill Burr, Nick Offerman, Shane Gillis... hell, even Rogan can be funny even though I think his politics are loony.

Whatever JD is up there applying "fun and jokes" to is..... not that.

Edited by mtutiger

25 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The whole interview with John Berman was Exhibit A in why JD is a bad candidate, but good grief, this just makes him a bad person

The question is why won't he apologize?  All he has to say is "Yeah, I'm sorry, I went overboard there....."  Is it because he's a jerk? Or is it because that will make The Boss mad?  I think both options are credible.

Of course, he has a job.  Trump doesn't.  And if he wins, he gets a new job and Trump cant fire him.

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

So wind is making bacon expensive?.

I feel bad for Kevin Bacon having to go grocery shopping on a windy day. You think inflation is bad for the rest of us regular folks, the cost of groceries must be astronomical for him when it's windy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

The sibling of "he's just joking":

"He's just telling stories"

Why do they refer to him as the President? Do Dems refer to Obama as the President? 

Edited by ben9753
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

If Kamala had said that they would have demanded she be kicked off the ticket.  

Trump says **** every day that would have caused an uproar at any other time in our history, but he repeatedly gets a pass at all times, now.   
I am sick to death of him and this daily drama, but in no way can I turn a blind eye and ignore it. Way too much at stake.

For context, same poll has Harris 51-46 over Trump... So a touch higher than the ~3.5 Harris lead in aggregates.... 

If Vance ended up the nominee he'd do better than this, but still, that's a wild wild result.

Edited by mtutiger

25 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

**** that headline.  She’s not evading, she’s just not playing the stupid ass media game.

Exactly

Also interesting that at Politico's site the headline is: "Harris sidesteps the spotlight when it comes to her identity" which is a much less negative spin and the article is actually pretty positive. So the question is who at Politico runs their twitter feed and how much more influenced are they by Axel Springer than the people writing the stories.

• Like 1