2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

I always learned that good organizations fire people who tell the bosses what they don't want to hear, whether it's valid or not.

LOL - there is no more dangerous ground to be on in a US corporation after a project goes south than to have been right about something your bosses turned out to be wrong about.....

If they all get fired, you probably get caught in the backwash too, if they don't, you will likely become the unforgiven and shown the door at the survivors' earliest convenience. 

Your best shot is attempt a lateral move into a different group ASAP!

Edited by gehringer_2

51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How come a First Lieutenant is pictured with sergeant stripes? Is that normal in some way?

File photo? Story said he’d been serving 17 yrs but was just commissioned in ‘22 when he went to intel, so he was apparently a long time NCO. 

2 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Everyone has the red line I guess. Interesting that inciting a riot to attempt to overturn an election didn’t do it but this did. Different folks I guess. 

Maybe he’s learned things since he went to intel that cause him to judge the stakes as higher. 

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm guessing the First Lieutenant voted for Biden in 2020.

He enlisted as a grunt. Didn't want to go to college/ROTC or otherwise follow the family legacy to Annapolis. Or maybe he was just a screw-up in HS and didn't have the choice. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

How come a First Lieutenant is pictured with sergeant stripes? Is that normal in some way?

so the pic on twitter does appear on CNNs website of the story, nor does it carry a clarifying caption like "James McCain in 20XX at such a place" (where-ever or whenever he was speaking in the pic. Just another example of how sloppy CNN is.

12 hours ago, ewsieg said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-claims-hell-declassify-jfk-173616197.html

You're pretty clever there Trump, you had me for a second.

"Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."

Frankly I don't think there's anything in the files that is interesting or revealing as it relates to what happened.  I think they are still classified because some people referenced are still alive, or people close to a person, are still alive.  Or they could just be salacious or gossipy.  There's no smoking gun.

25 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Nothing like getting a boost from an unforced error.  This abortion flip flopping is probably worse then just taking an unfavorable position as it keeps the abortion issue front and center.

I think his only play is to pretend to be all in on being pro life.  He's not going to soften the pro choice vote by pretending to be on their side a little bit.  But he does risk losing the hardline pro lifers if he tries it.  How much is that risk?  I am skeptical but you can't afford to lose very many. But in the end I think they'll still vote for him so who knows.

37 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think his only play is to pretend to be all in on being pro life.  He's not going to soften the pro choice vote by pretending to be on their side a little bit.  But he does risk losing the hardline pro lifers if he tries it.  How much is that risk?  I am skeptical but you can't afford to lose very many. But in the end I think they'll still vote for him so who knows.

Yeah - I don't even know if the anti-abortion voter cares what Trump thinks personally, they already knew that abortion wasn't his issue. What they do know is that he is captive to their side on court appointments. They know he will roll over for them both on appointments and any anti-abortion legislation sent to him by a GOP Congress so I don't see him losing their votes. OTOH, you are correct, he isn't persuading and pro-choice voter he can be trusted on the issue for all the same reasons plus Dodd. 

Where he hurts himself doing stuff like this is with uncommitted voters with low motivations on abortion either way. It just shows him to be playing politics, being calculating and convictionless - all things that make a negative impression on voters.

Edited by gehringer_2

Borrowing a bit from JVL. If we believe the Party of DJT we are living in a hellhole. Yet...

How does someone listen to Donald Trump describe the American economy as a hellscape and then walk out onto the deck of his $3m lake house and say, “Dammit, Veronica, he’s right. Look at this disaster.”

By the same token, how does anyone look at the real world and not understand how great things are? We just broke all records for air travel in August. This is not a thing you do unless the economy is in good shape.

We are a people largely untethered from reality. People who live in lake houses and fly for vacations and tell themselves that it’s American Carnage are not going to be capable of democratic self-governance when actualeconomic pain comes.

https://substack.com/redirect/891faeb7-8f2e-4a7d-9c7a-100b510706d0?j=eyJ1IjoiNDV3Y20ifQ.CggfOU-yqNt6DYIiDeKPBwq9veGlU84UfbYj1_sPDzA