2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Nothing like getting a boost from an unforced error.  This abortion flip flopping is probably worse then just taking an unfavorable position as it keeps the abortion issue front and center.

Not for nothing, this:

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I think his only play is to pretend to be all in on being pro life.  He's not going to soften the pro choice vote by pretending to be on their side a little bit.  But he does risk losing the hardline pro lifers if he tries it.  How much is that risk?  I am skeptical but you can't afford to lose very many. But in the end I think they'll still vote for him so who knows.

Perhaps they'll still vote for him because they think he is kidding, or even better, because they think he is lying just to suppress the libtard vote.

Thomas Edsall's NYT column today was feedback from a lot of political observers all to the effect that no-one's mind is changing and that the election will be won on turnout. Per his reporting, Harris' poll increases have all been recovery of 2020 Biden voters or in groups already disposed to the Dems side. So to the degree that that is true, anything that drives disillusionment or cynicism on the red side is good for the blue even in the absence of anyone changing sides.

I suspect it's more related to the cleanup needed regarding the Vermont or New Hampshire Trump campaign head that emailed everyone under him to stop trying and instead focus on PA as their state was a lost cause.

12 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I suspect it's more related to the cleanup needed regarding the Vermont or New Hampshire Trump campaign head that emailed everyone under him to stop trying and instead focus on PA as their state was a lost cause.

The thing with Trump is that it could be at least three or four different things.... the NH comments, Arlington Cemetary, something health related, who TF knows with these guys.

But as we learned during the end of days of the Biden Campaign, when things aren't going well, you see a lot of stuff like this come out.

My initial thought because of the proximity of the Russia influence story is that it was related to that.  

Second was that Trump reacting to the new classified information in the J6 case.  That story promises great insanity.

Next, speculation is involving ties between the shooter and Trump: Trump on tape calling the kid a name while he was waiting for an autograph maybe.  

There is so much wrong with this answer.

Most likely Grandma and Grandpa are still working. And if they're not they're  still active enough to have lives of their own. Also sharing duties (if possible) leads to more problems than they solve, since one or both sides of the extended family will eventually feel like they got the short end of the deal.

In the end both the child, parents and grand parents may find themselves in a family rift.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

There is so much wrong with this answer.

Most likely Grandma and Grandpa are still working. And if they're not they're  still active enough to have lives of their own. Also sharing duties (if possible) leads to more problems than they solve, since one or both sides of the extended family will eventually feel like they got the short end of the deal.

In the end both the child, parents and grand parents may find themselves in a family rift.

and maybe the kids live 70 miles from grandma and grandpa or auntie and uncle.

I remember once on social media talking about someting similar and a former member of this site said "Well traditionally you would have a family member help out with that rather than make it society's problem".  A social worker friend of mine jumped in immediately calling him out for not understanding that many people don't have anybody to help them.  My mother in law said something similar to my wife who had to tell her she has a lot of patients who are expected to survive on SS disability with no means to work and nobody to help them. $975 a month doesn't go far.

Such narrow minded fools.  They have no empathy and that's one reason I quit being a conservative.  Not everybody is fortunate enough to come from "good stock".