2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Apropos of something, I feel as though anyone who rocks an American flag in their Twitter handle or in their tweets are trying to throw off the scent in clumsy and obvious fashion.

a cross or bible verse as well.

• Like 1

As a grandparent, we don't mind helping out once in a while. But when it starts to feel like free labor....

I've been lobbying the past couple of years to let the grandson come visit for a week or so in the summer. It's about an hour direct flight from DTW to Richmond. The airlines still do a decent job with unaccompanied minors . There is more than enough to keep him occupied in CW, Jamestown, Yorktown, not to mention places like NAASA in Hampton. It's also a chance for him to get to know cousins who live fairly close by. He's 12 so the time is growing short.

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

I have a friend who had an American flag and cross as his facebook profile for a long time.  He's a really nice guy in person.  His facebook is a conspiracy theory mess.  

59 minutes ago, oblong said:

People who are all in emotionally on crosses and flags probably can't even fathom the idea of someone lying about their own devotion to it. It might strike them as literally impossible, as though anyone trying to lie about love for Jesus and America would turn into a pillar of salt a la Genesis 19.

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

There is so much wrong with this answer.

Most likely Grandma and Grandpa are still working. And if they're not they're  still active enough to have lives of their own. Also sharing duties (if possible) leads to more problems than they solve, since one or both sides of the extended family will eventually feel like they got the short end of the deal.

In the end both the child, parents and grand parents may find themselves in a family rift.

He is totally not in touch with what is normal family life these days.  
Those grandparents, aunts & uncles are WORKING, too, JD. 

The disconnect is real. He longs for the 1950’s, so I will also say to him ………“WE’RE NOT GOING BACK”.  Jerk.

• Like 1

Just now, smr-nj said:

He is totally not in touch with what is normal family life these days.  
Those grandparents, aunts & uncles are WORKING, too, JD. 

The disconnect is real. He longs for the 1950’s, so I will also say to him ………“WE’RE NOT GOING BACK”.  Jerk.

Plus, I just want to add to this rebuttal. Grandparents and aunts (and I include myself in that group) ARE helping. I’ll do pick up and drop off when my niece or her husband can’t get there for two kids that are in two different schools. That doesn’t mean it’s ever gonna be possible to have the 1950 style of living anymore. It’s not going to happen so stop telling people they’re wrong for living their lives the way it makes sense to live them right now 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

There is so much wrong with this answer.

Dude, you're only focusing on the family aspect of it.  He then started saying for those that don't have families that can assist, the Feds need to stop forcing people from getting a 6 year degree just to watch kids.  WTF is he talking about?   

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Dude, you're only focusing on the family aspect of it.  He then started saying for those that don't have families that can assist, the Feds need to stop forcing people from getting a 6 year degree just to watch kids.  WTF is he talking about?   

And how many parents would trust random no accredited “teachers” to watch their kids.

They talk about “indoctrinating” their kids now. We won’t even get into insurance issues

I guess when you can sweet talk a couple of billionaires to bankroll you you don’t have those issues 

Edited by CMRivdogs

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

Plus, I just want to add to this rebuttal. Grandparents and aunts (and I include myself in that group) ARE helping. I’ll do pick up and drop off when my niece or her husband can’t get there for two kids that are in two different schools. That doesn’t mean it’s ever gonna be possible to have the 1950 style of living anymore. It’s not going to happen so stop telling people they’re wrong for living their lives the way it makes sense to live them right now 

Of course, if you are wealthy like Vance, you can live your life anyway you please.  The rest of the population has bills to pay.  

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Amazing how much better Walz is at buying donuts than Vance. 

He's done that before. If you saw that video a year ago you'd think "That's just a dad going into to get some donuts and pies and talking to the staff in a friendly but not patronizing way"

If you saw JD's video a year ago you'd think "Why is this guy wearing a suit and buying donuts but acting like he doesn't really want any donuts?"

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Media: "Kamala is so light on policy specifics, unacceptable!!!!"

Meanwhile...

Media: *cricket noises*

As long as you talk loud and fast and give some good sound bites, you're good with MAGA and with the media.  Substance doesn't matter.  

Not surprising. They're all thugs

The two staffers, according to a source with knowledge of the incident, are deputy campaign manager Justin Caporale and Michel Picard, a member of Trump’s advance team.

Edited by CMRivdogs

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Not surprising. They're all thugs

The two staffers, according to a source with knowledge of the incident, are deputy campaign manager Justin Caporale and Michel Picard, a member of Trump’s advance team.

The really aggravating thing is that none of this is going to peel off red hats in any real numbers, because they have already been per-conditioned to regard any reporting on Trump as being part of a coordinated attack by a liberal media in the bag for Democrats. It really was a genius strategy on Trump part, and I'm pretty sure he didn't come up with it on his own.

Edited by chasfh