2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Regarding the idea that Trump voter defection all happened back in 2018 or in 2020, I think J6 happening after that would add to the defections. And to the intensity of independent voters who might be tempted to side with him. Not everyone of them, of course, but enough I am fervently hoping.

Jan 6th does matter at some level for sure. And just anecdotally, I know a couple of Trump-Trump-Harris folks in my own life. 

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

When you cut through the noise of social media and everything else... The contrast between these two candidates on a human level is stark

I don't think she is totally phoney, but I don't think she's any more genuine than your average politician.  Still, I think she does have some compassion and human qualities.  Trump doesn't have any of that. In fact, he thinks those qualities are weak and so do a lot of his supporters.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think she is totally phoney, but I don't think she's any more genuine than your average politician.  Still, I think she does have some compassion and human qualities.  Trump doesn't have any of that. In fact, he thinks those qualities are weak and so do a lot of his supporters.  

Exactly.... she isn't Jesus, but it's about who she's being contrasted with. And it's stark.

Edited by mtutiger

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

When you cut through the noise of social media and everything else... The contrast between these two candidates on a human level is stark

That's Churchill-on-the-Underground from "Darkest Hour" stuff

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think there’s probably a 50% chance Kamala’s more genuine than your average politician.

29 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I think it is being underestimated how big of a deal inflation is to the masses and how that is successfully being pinned on the Democrats.

Absolutely correct.  I don't think this is unusual.  The party in power is always going to be blamed/given credit for the economy.  It's stupid, but that's how it has always been.  What's going to happen next is people not recognizing that inflation has beeing getting under control over the past year.  Then if Trump gets elected, they'll eventually feel the effects of something that was already in motion and Trump will get credit for it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Correct!

And that will win the election for Trump.

The corporations will then collude and lower prices and all the Trump voters will be "vindicated."

The prices aren't ever coming down.  They will just go up at a slower rate.  Companies have seen that people are willing to pay higher prices for things they want/need. They aren't going to lower them even if economic forces allow them too.  

Yep - you said it better than me.

I know prices aren't going down but something like gas may go down and Trump will get "credit."

I never thought the American public was this stupid but like George Carlin said "Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that."

16 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

I know prices aren't going down but something like gas may go down and Trump will get "credit."

I never thought the American public was this stupid but like George Carlin said "Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that."

yeah, gas is one of the only thing that fluctuates.  It still goes up on average, but it has peaks and valleys.  

Absolutely correct.  I don't think this is unusual.  The party in power is always going to be blamed/given credit for the economy.  It's stupid, but that's how it has always been.  What's going to happen next is people not recognizing that inflation has beeing getting under control over the past year.  Then if Trump gets elected, they'll eventually feel the effects of something that was already in motion and Trump will get credit for it. 

Except Trump's policies are incredibly inflationary and it could get out of control in that scenario.

50 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Only if intelligence is normally distributed.

21 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Except Trump's policies are incredibly inflationary and it could get out of control in that scenario.

His proposed policies are.  Who knows what will actually happen?  He says populist things to get votes, but he ultimately won't do anything that doesn't benefit himself in some way.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

His proposed policies are.  Who knows what will actually happen?  He says populist things to get votes, but he ultimately won't do anything that doesn't benefit himself in some way.  

Agreed. And I would like to point out a guy with money issues that will still linger even if he wins may benefit from completely tanking the Fed's independence and forcing their hand to lower interest rates so he can borrow to pay off E Jean and co.

• Like 1

The prices aren't ever coming down.  They will just go up at a slower rate.  Companies have seen that people are willing to pay higher prices for things they want/need. They aren't going to lower them even if economic forces allow them too.  

actually the price that matter most of all is gasoline, and from what I've read of what's going on in OPEC right now there is a fighting chance gasoline is going to be below $3.25 this fall. That won't hurt.

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Your median politician anyway!

Right. Median. I wrote "average" because the prior poster used "average". I didn't want to come off as Captain Actually. 😁

The unspoken idea was that there's probably a 50% chance Kamala’s less genuine than your average median politician

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I think it is being underestimated how big of a deal inflation is to the masses and how that is successfully being pinned on the Democrats.

C-SPAN's Washington Journal is a halfway-decent barometer of what's sticking with the average voter (I say "halfway decent" because I do think at least a few callers every day are planted by organizations with agendas). The only three things those people on the Republicans line have to talk about these days is (1) the price of gas; (2) the price of groceries; and (3) how free money, healthcare, and housing the Biden administration is giving to illegals is driving up the first two.

And by the way, inflation is up over more than 20%, according to them, which is right when you add all four of his years together, which they do, because it hammers the Democrats harder to do it that way.

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Right. Median. I wrote "average" because the prior poster used "average". I didn't want to come off as Captain Actually. 😁

The unspoken idea was that there's probably a 50% chance Kamala’s less genuine than your average median politician

As the prior poster, I was using "average" in a non-mathematical way to suggest that most high level politicians are not genuine.  I know that you know that! 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Agreed. And I would like to point out a guy with money issues that will still linger even if he wins may benefit from completely tanking the Fed's independence and forcing their hand to lower interest rates so he can borrow to pay off E Jean and co.

BTW from the department of stupid scale numbers: A 50 basis pt reduction in interest rates reduces the government's cost of debt service by half a billion dollars per day .

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

(3) how free money, healthcare, and housing the Biden administration is giving to illegals is driving up the first two.

I'm sure you know this but most don't.

As per the Constitution all spending bills must start in the House Of Representatives which is currently controlled by the Republicans.

How people believe - which they do - that Biden had anything to do with it is beyond me.