2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

At which point we will get treated to accusations that the Democrat Party is cheating by manipulating the price of gas so they can fool people into voting for them against their interests, or something along those lines. 

That's already started as gas is just a tad over $3.00 in my area.

"Biden is purposely lowering gas prices to rig the election!"

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that the "Haitian cat stories" will not factor into anything debate related 

I'm not even sure they're going for low- or even no-information voters with this. They might be going for some kind of anti-information voters, the kind of people who hate your facts and despise all knowledge because it hurts their feelings which are all that should matter.

57 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Within two in Florida. Multiple polls have her within low single digits in Florida.

Two North Carolina polls (SurveyUSA and Quinnipiac) showing leads as well...

To the extent that Trump's campaign appears to be prioritizing PA/GA above all other states, NC being this close throws a wrench into that strategy 

30 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Is there a tactful way to peel off some votes using the climate card with the extreme drought conditions in OH/PA appalachia?

No, because cultural issues matter more. Culture is king. If you hate blacks, you hate blacks. If you hate gays, you hate gays. If you hate immigrants, you hate immigrants. If you hate Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Sikhs, you hate them all. You're not going to vote for a black woman like Kamala if you fundamentally think blacks are inferior. You're not going to vote for Pete if you fundamentally think being gay is an immoral sin in the eyes of God.

No amount of climate animosity is going to change deep seated racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, or religious bigotry. And even if they were worried about the climate, they'd just blame it all on the EPA, federal regulations, and woke marxists anyways.

I used to believe there was a way forward with some of these rural and white working class voters on economic and climate related issues. As if the Democratic Party would just do a better job promoting a populist, economic agenda ala Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren they could win some of these rural and white working class voters back. On the margins, you might be able to get a few voters on economic issues as Bernie did in the 2016 primary and Biden did in 2020. I still do believe the Democratic Party needs to push a populist, anti-corporate, pro-worker agenda too. I just don't believe it's going to peel off the number of voters I used to believe it would because culture is king.

But they like Trump because he talks about and thinks about blacks, muslims, jews, homosexuals, transexuals, immigrants in the same way many of them do. Using the same stereotypes and prejudices many of them have. And having a guy like Trump around, their predispositions towards bigotry and intolerance are only being amplified and ratcheted up by his rhetoric and the rhetoric of those in his universe (Fox News, Steve Bannon, Brietbart, other politicians, his campaign surrogates, etc). You're not going to change Archie Bunker's mind with a climate plan or because weather events are becoming more extreme. Trump is Archie Bunker and represents the millions of Archie Bunker's still left in this country.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

32 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Is there a tactful way to peel off some votes using the climate card with the extreme drought conditions in OH/PA appalachia?

LOL -  a more tactful repost as well.....

but good question. I'm not optimistic. In the absence of a solution you can give them right now,  I think people under stress too often just prefer to be lied to.

Edited by gehringer_2

17 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Haitians usually have darker skin than Mexicans and therefore are seen as a scarier boogeyman. 

They were also the first people in modern times to overthrow their enslavers. Perhaps they are viewed as mentally unbalanced.

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Can you imagine if they get immunity?

To Tyreek: "When we tell you to do something, you do it! Understand?"

To the friend who stopped to help: "Give me your license right now! Or I'm gonna lock you up!"

As I was saying ...

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They were also the first people in modern times to overthrow their enslavers. Perhaps they are viewed as mentally unbalanced.

The US has intervened in the Dominican several times, with uneven results, but overall has been more of a backstop for stability, even if was the right wing suppressed stability of Trujillo. Nobody seems to have gotten things right in Haiti.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL -  a more tactful repost as well.....

but good question. I'm not optimistic. In the absence of a solution you can give them right now,  I think people under stress too often just prefer to be lied to.

At a minimum, it takes getting to a post-Trump era to start getting back to that point - particularly with how no GOPers seem to be able to replicate his success.

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

so depressing GQP can collectively get together to share this racist fake story about immigrants, and it appears it will only help them. sigh.

I’m not sure it will help them—who’s going to come over to Trump’s side over this story? Nor will anything he does in tonight’s debate hurt him. His cake is beyond baked. It’s petrified.

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m not sure it will help them—who’s going to come over to Trump’s side over this story? Nor will anything he does in tonight’s debate hurt him. His cake is beyond baked. It’s petrified.

Yeah, this Haitian story........it only plays for the people he's already got sewn up.    It just shows their desperation