2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's the best way to handle trolls. What Bush could do build a following off of quote tweeting all the stupid stuff they say, amplifying them, and thereby helping them, while using the blue checkmark to profit off of it.

To each their own.

Flipkowski is a stain. But he and I can high five after we got the shoutout from Kamala last night. Pierogis for all.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

It's the best way to handle trolls. What Bush could do build a following off of quote tweeting all the stupid stuff they say, amplifying them, and thereby helping them, while using the blue checkmark to profit off of it.

To each their own.

Flipkowski is a stain. But he and I can high five after we got the shoutout from Kamala last night. Pierogis for all.

Bush will do what he does best, be a deer in the headlights. 

Moment President George W. Bush found out 9/11 had happened caught on ...

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

History has already been kind to GWB.  

He’s no longer the worst president in history.   

I still think he and Trump are at least tied. But history and Trump's Presidency has allowed him to wash over his legacy of barbarism, death, and destruction in Iraq. History and time have turned a war criminal into a painter.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Bush will do what he does best, be a deer in the headlights. 

Moment President George W. Bush found out 9/11 had happened caught on ...

Can you imagine if Barack Obama sat there for 7 minutes and did nothing how the right would have reacted. Now, I don't think Bush needed to run out of that classroom and scare the kids or school staff. But if Obama had sat their like that, the right would have lost its mind. If Biden had sat their like that they'd call him an alzheimer's patient, incapable of doing the job.

I still dont know what Bush was supposed to do at that moment that would have satisfied his critics.  The criticism was the equivalent of Trump Deragement Syndrome.

You have children reading to a President who probably practiced that for a couple of days.  Let them have some final moments of peace before the world as they knew it changed forever.   People were just piling on.

• Thanks 1

Just say hey kids I have some presidential stuff to do. He didn’t need to tell them we’re under attack. If we’re concerned about the kids, why did secret service interrupt in the first place? Just call **** Cheney who was the brains of the operation anyways. Pretend you know what you’re doing. Bin Laden and Al Qaeda even used it to mock the US. 

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

I still dont know what Bush was supposed to do at that moment that would have satisfied his critics.  The criticism was the equivalent of Trump Deragement Syndrome.

You have children reading to a President who probably practiced that for a couple of days.  Let them have some final moments of peace before the world as they knew it changed forever.   People were just piling on.

actually I would think that if vital national security information was coming in hot any President would excuse himself politely and just say "Excuse me but this is a job that sometimes makes a call." He could always reschedule with the kids. W was in so far over his head it literally became tragic before all was said and done. It's just a testament to how useless what transpires in a presidential campaign is wrt actually picking a competent leader. Of course who really knows if Gore would have been any better. Kerry almost certainly would have been but it's difficult to defeat any incumbent prez - esp when the country is at a war footing.

And it's just as well he's gone to ground and is staying there. I can't conceive of the man having anything useful to add to the national conversation.

Edited by gehringer_2

The "it was staged" thing is bizarre.  Here's what is required for that:

1) Find someone willing to die by getting shot in the head by a sniper

2) Arrange a location for an event that allows this person to set up (obviously this happened)

3) Get the buy in from local law enforcement and perhaps the USSS so that this person isn't dealt with sooner.  Everybody has to keep quiet and not leak.

4) That someone has to be so good of a shot to only nick or barely miss the President without killing him.

5) All of these participants have to agree that innocent people can die

6) During the investigation this remains under wraps

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

2) Arrange a location for an event that allows this person to set up (obviously this happened)

3) Get the buy in from local law enforcement and perhaps the USSS so that this person isn't dealt with sooner.  Everybody has to keep quiet and not leak.

4) That someone has to be so good of a shot to only nick or barely miss the President without killing him.

People voted for Trump despite all sorts of evidence.  Conspiracy is the religion of the idiot. 

1 minute ago, oblong said:

My first response was that it was staged, but you are right.  It certainly looked staged initially because the whole event seemed to be focused on Trump getting a photo op.  As soon as I learned that somebody had been killed, I knew it was real.  

The theory about the FBI trying to take out Trump is even dumber.  If they wanted to take him out, they could hire a professional to do it and his tracks would have been covered a lot better.  And if if the FBI did try to kill Trump, it would not be for the reason MAGA thinks.  

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Do you think people in power actually care about that?     Hundreds of kids each year getting shot at school and they don't change a thing.   

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you think people in power actually care about that?     Hundreds of kids each year getting shot at school and they don't change a thing.   

Well, they would prefer abstractly we were alive to pay into the coffers they don't mind raiding

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

To be clear I think there is zero to it, but OTOH I'd stick with 2,3 and 6.

#1 is probably easy- just look around at recent history around the world, or given that the planning is coming from a future Prez, you can probably persuade him he would be protected.

#5 is probably also not much of a hurdle. Nixon, Bush, Obama, Trump himself on 1/6. We've had plenty of Presidential admins without too much scruple about people getting killed as collateral damage.

one big strike against the conspiracy is that they had the firefighter's name wrong on the RNC prop they created to celebrate Trump's triumphant survival.  Unless they are so good they factored in people expecting them to be stupid and bad at detail. 

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They don't care, but they wouldn't want to take the risk.  

Trump stokes suspicions about assassination attempt, raising fears of more violence (msn.com)

But his tone changed in recent weeks, as the Republican presidential nominee began promoting conspiracy theories such as those that label the assassination attempt an “inside job” by government agencies or make up Democratic ties to lawyers representing the shooter’s parents. Trump and his running mate, Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), frequently portray the attempt as part of efforts by political opponents to prevent the former president from returning to power.

“I probably took a bullet to the head because of the things that they say about me,” Trump said at Tuesday’s ABC News debate with Vice President Kamala Harris, referring to the bullet or bullet fragment that authorities said grazed his right ear.