2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Looking like the polls out of the debate and since the convention are settling in at a 5 point Harris lead.  I wish it were more.  I wish it translated into a bigger lead but the ground game will matter too.  Got to keep outworking them. 

I’m thinking we might be at the point where people start waking up and paying attention to the race, which will help Kamala, because once people see or are reminded what a ****ing horror show Trump is, that should only accrue to her benefit.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Orange Chicken weighs in on the idea of another debate...

I think that’s better for Kamala. It doesn’t give him the chance to change the lingering impression of him that everyone who watched the debate took away from it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

JD Vance cannot be real with all these self-evidently asinine statements lately

but it's the perfect feedback loop inside the MagaSphere. Given: Immigrants ruin the country. Posit: There are immigrants, Conclusion: The country must be in a state of ruin. Corollary: Evidence presented that the country is doing well must be fake news.  

Edited by gehringer_2

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think that’s better for Kamala. It doesn’t give him the chance to change the lingering impression of him that everyone who watched the debate took away from it.

It also acts more or less as an admission that he doesn't think he can change or improve his situation through that format. Don't know that it ultimately matters a lot electorally, but it is such a damning thing.... and really not unlike the situation Biden found himself in in that his biggest liability (age) was something he couldn't ever fix.

41 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

People argue about the greatest of all time in sports, music, or politics. 

There’s no debate over the GOAT of Con Men.    Trump is the greatest there ever was and the greatest there ever will be.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Elon has created things of value and substance.   Tesla and Space-X both make revolutionary products.

Trump has faked everything. 

Elon Musk didn’t create Tesla. Tesla isn’t revolutionary. That’s the con. That Musk is some genius revolutionary. GM had electric vehicles out 15 years before Tesla. His full self driving is nothing more than adaptive cruise and lane centering. GM and Ford have more autonomous capabilities than Tesla. He hasn’t delivered on anything. He said he would have over a million robo taxis on the road by now. His hyperloop was a failure. The model S hasn’t been updated in nearly 15 years now. He’s the ultimate charlatan who got wealthy by over-inflating his stock with false promises. The market value of Tesla is more than automakers that sell four times as many vehicles because he’s the ultimate con man. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Elon Musk didn’t create Tesla. Tesla isn’t revolutionary. That’s the con. That Musk is some genius revolutionary. GM had electric vehicles out 15 years before Tesla. His full self driving is nothing more than adaptive cruise and lane centering. GM and Ford have more autonomous capabilities than Tesla. He hasn’t delivered on anything. He said he would have over a million robo taxis on the road by now. His hyperloop was a failure. The model S hasn’t been updated in nearly 15 years now. He’s the ultimate charlatan who got wealthy by over-inflating his stock with false promises. The market value of Tesla is more than automakers that sell four times as many vehicles because he’s the ultimate con man. 

I didn’t say Musk wasn’t a con man.    He has a resume of building companies and taking substantive products to market.  Trump has nothing of the sort.  

Starring in a reality show created by someone else is all that’s ever really done that didn’t go bankrupt.    

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yep i think this is a mistake for trump too

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

His hyperloop was a failure

Hyperloop was pretty hilarious. He gave away a lot of money to engineering schools to work on it and they cynically took it all knowing it was nonsensical. I watched a team of students spend a year and plenty of Elon's money building a prototype contraption in our student project center to Elon's criteria even though all but maybe the freshmen knew it was windmill tilting. I don't know much about Elon's STEM skills, but I know he can't understand much about engineering scaling not to have dismissed hyperloop 10 minutes after he thought it up. There is a fine line between having the genius to successfully step beyond conventional wisdom and the recognition that you still have to do it inside the envelop of real physics.

Edited by gehringer_2