2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Just now, romad1 said:

Walz effect

Maybe partly him, but I just get the sense in general that Trump is having issues in rural areas... Like, they aren't going to revert to 2012 levels of Dem support or anything like that, but that he could lose a few percentage points in some of these states anyway. And that would matter a lot, particularly in the northern swing states.

Some of Kamala's campaign choices in PA, going to Johnstown and Wilkes-Barre, places that have swung hard right since Trump showed up on the scene, tells me they are seeing something as well in their own data

Sorry if this was posted already, haven't been on here much recently.

I just learned that apparently a young boy was killed in an accident by a Haitian immigrant in Springfield and in part this is what the right riled up their base as they exaggerated the incident.  This is his dad speaking recently.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I went ahead and listened... Thought the most eye opening thing was that her group has been polling in Alaska. 

Not sure why that's eye opening. Alaska has a Democratic congresswoman, one of the most moderate Republicans in the senate, a Democratic majority in the senate, and has moved to the left every single election for the past 20 years. Not sure why you wouldn't poll Alaska, especially with a competitive congressional race. 

24 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Sorry if this was posted already, haven't been on here much recently.

I just learned that apparently a young boy was killed in an accident by a Haitian immigrant in Springfield and in part this is what the right riled up their base as they exaggerated the incident.  This is his dad speaking recently.  

DeWine said the state is making a driver's ed push in Springfield because a lot of the immigrants never learned to drive at home. You might call that the right kind of response.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

DeWine said the state is making a driver's ed push in Springfield because a lot of the immigrants never learned to drive at home. You might call that the right kind of response.

Now if they would just apply the same push to bros driving oversized pickup trucks for no apparent reason

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Not sure why that's eye opening. Alaska has a Democratic congresswoman, one of the most moderate Republicans in the senate, a Democratic majority in the senate, and has moved to the left every single election for the past 20 years. Not sure why you wouldn't poll Alaska, especially with a competitive congressional race. 

It has very idiosyncratic politics in general. Not surprising - a state that is separated from the contiguous US is bound to approach politics differently. 

I definitely think it's fair to think that Alaska could be approaching lean R status though... Trumpism isn't a great fit for the demographics of the state.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

It has very idiosyncratic politics in general. Not surprising - a state that is separated from the contiguous US is bound to approach politics differently. 

I definitely think it's fair to think that Alaska could be approaching lean R status though... Trumpism isn't a great fit for the demographics of the state.

It's the inverse of what you think a blue state is. The rurals are blue and the cities are red. With suburban areas moving left, you are seeing the shift in Anchorage. It probably will never happen, but I would try to lure Murkowski to switch parties. Peltola showed a Democrat can win there. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I have reservations about DeWine. He presents himself as a moderate but signs some of the most MAGA bills into law. 

I wouldn't vote for DeWine, but in terms of the basic blocking and tackling of government in a crisis, he's increasingly becoming less common in that party