2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

45 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'll believe he is going to prison when he is actually in prison.

Trump can never go to prison because there are potentially thousands of people, or more, who will violently act out if he does, and that’s one of the reasons Justice slow-walked going after him in the first place.

2 hours ago, The Ronz said:

What I find to be the most mind boggling is after dismissing all the racism, xenophobia, misogyny,  homophobia, transphobia and flat-out Nazism - over half the country is totally and completely un-American.

WTF?

Nazi Germany had admirers among American religious leaders – and white supremacy fueled their support

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

GDP?

Stock Market Setting Records? 

That stuff does not matter to most Americans.    

How much is my box of Corn Flakes?    That's what matters.  

It's simpleton ****, and it's why these big companies won't lower prices from their Greedflation frenzy.    Because they want it to hurt people when they buy groceries and small things so they'll blame Biden/Harris.     

And the crazy part of that is that with this record stock market - the rich are getting even richer - and always do under Democratic Presidents.      Why would they want to end that?    Because they can control Trump & Co, because he's so ****ing stupid.   

We all know that President Harris really isn't going to "make them pay their fair share".   But at least they might kinda sorta try.  

The United States now produces more oil than any other country in the world,  but the Republicans will tell you that Biden stopped oil production and people will believe it because he wouldn't tap into the Alaskan wilderness.     WE DON'T NEED TO.

It's all in the framing of it. 

The economy is doing really well, but this Greedflation is hurting people and I just wish Democrats would point out that inflation is not just an American problem, it's worldwide and we have been coming out of it faster and better than any other country.         

You know what.............Biden's been a really good President.   There have been some mistakes, but he's been really ****ing good.   Let's continue those policies with someone younger with more vigor.   

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2024-opinion-biden-accomplishment-data/

I've talked about how I want Boring in the White House.   I don't need to know every time someone farts.   But Biden needs to brag more about one major thing -   Disinflation.         

Edited by Motor City Sonics

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

GDP?

Stock Market Setting Records? 

That stuff does not matter to most Americans.    

How much is my box of Corn Flakes?    That's what matters.  

It's simpleton ****, and it's why these big companies won't lower prices from their Greedflation frenzy.    Because they want it to hurt people when they buy groceries and small things so they'll blame Biden/Harris.     

And the crazy part of that is that with this record stock market - the rich are getting even richer - and always do under Democratic Presidents.      Why would they want to end that?    Because they can control Trump & Co, because he's so ****ing stupid.   

We all know that President Harris really isn't going to "make them pay their fair share".   But at least they might kinda sorta try.  

The United States now produces more oil than any other country in the world,  but the Republicans will tell you that Biden stopped oil production and people will believe it because he wouldn't tap into the Alaskan wilderness.     WE DON'T NEED TO.

It's all in the framing of it. 

The economy is doing really well, but this Greedflation is hurting people and I just wish Democrats would point out that inflation is not just an American problem, it's worldwide and we have been coming out of it faster and better than any other country.         

You know what.............Biden's been a really good President.   There have been some mistakes, but he's been really ****ing good.   Let's continue those policies with someone younger with more vigor.   

there is an odd dynamic going on today. Supposedly (I haven't personally checked this....) the party in power has been re-elected every time the market is up from August to October of the election year. It absolutely will this year as well, but but the information_sphere in the US is so corrupted today that half the population believes we are in a recession. And we have been so conditioned into being a nation full of whiney bitches that we persuade ourselves we are suffering like Subharan refugees while driving every vacation travel metric to new records and parking $90K SuperCrews in the driveway.

Absolutely the middle class has gotten squeezed, but by any measure they are less squeezed than 4 yrs ago, and they should know the #1 route for middle class wages rising across the board is empowered unions negotiating contracts that push up the bar for everyone else. And do they think the GOP is going to keep that trend going? 

Edited by gehringer_2

21 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Price controls are communism.

they also don't work - at least not without turning an economy into 1950's Russia.

The real problem here is the incredible ignorance of the American voter. No-one should be able to get out of 8th grade without being able to see through the stupidity of most of the economic claims in an average US election. 

We used to understand that you couldn't operate a democracy in an uneducated nation (NorthWest Ordinance Article 3 - 1787!), but we've managed to drop the ball big time. And it's not because we don't educate per se, it's because we've made a conscious decision expressly not to educate about all the things that matter politically. There are PhDs all over the town I live in who couldn't argue their way out of a paper bag on any real-world question of political economy.

Edited by gehringer_2