2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I said it was a mistake then and it turns out to still be a mistake now. Striking is a fundamental right and a fundamental tool of the working class to stand up against the ultra wealthy and powerful. Biden and many Democrats union-busted these railroad workers. They should have either been given the contract they demanded or been allowed to strike. It doesn't matter if the entire country has to shutdown, short of EMS and Police service, every union employee deserves the right to strike.

The union that represents rail workers literally endorsed Harris. 

7 hours ago, oblong said:

I'll leave it to the states to decide for themselves how to do this.... that's their right.  But it seems to go against their interests doesn't it?  I assume they did this to make sure they get some attention by the candidates.  Imagine if TN allocated a vote out of Memphis?

This is an obvious bad faith attempt to rush through a change that will help rig the election for Trump, and a federal court should be front-burnering the challenge and striking it down in zero flat.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah, he didn't let them strike he did go to bat for them hard,  browbeating the RR's into giving them most/all they would have gotten out of a strike.

Tater is right in theory, but the reality would have been catastrophic for the American economy. Particular in a year which, at the time, involved record inflation 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I honest to God do not want to hear word one about her crowd sizes.  

And it annoys the **** out of me that this is now something that anyone feels like has to be noted & reported.

Other than the fact that it probably makes Trump’s head explode, it’s totally not something I want any fan of hers feel needs to be noted & spread-worthy.

Nonsense.

14 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

And it annoys the **** out of me that this is now something that anyone feels like has to be noted & reported.

Other than the fact that it probably makes Trump’s head explode, it’s totally not something I want any fan of hers feel needs to be noted & spread-worthy.

Nonsense.

It should be noted and reported. You want to portray a campaign with a lot of energy and excitement. Not sure why you feel it is such nonsense. 

34 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Nonsense.

I agree with you, they’re playing Trump‘s game, and it sucks, and I’d like it to stop. The problem is it can’t be stopped, because of the multitudes of individual actors who will inevitably give in to it.

for some reason I'm listening to the Eurythmics soundtrack to 1984 tonight. 

image.jpeg.5fe278665bcf2820827b94466f8ba307.jpeg

https://www.tumblr.com/artist-tyrant/69668613937/obriens-monologue-1984

No one dares trust a wife or a child or a friend any longer. But in the future there will be no wives and no friends. Children will be taken from their mothers at birth, as one takes eggs from a hen. The sex instinct will be eradicated. Procreation will be an annual formality like the renewal of a ration card. We shall abolish the orgasm. Our neurologists are at work upon it now. There will be no loyalty, except loyalty toward the Party. There will be no love, except the love of Big Brother. There will be no laughter, except the laugh of triumph over a defeated enemy. There will be no art, no literature, no science. When we are omnipotent we shall have no more need of science. There will be no distinction between beauty and ugliness. There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always-do not forget this, Winston-always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree with you, they’re playing Trump‘s game, and it sucks, and I’d like it to stop. The problem is it can’t be stopped, because of the multitudes of individual actors who will inevitably give in to it.

As long as I don't hear Kamala Harris at the rally bragging about her crowd size, I don't think it matters....

To the the extent that it might, it's a sign of enthusiasm.... there's a lot more enthusiasm behind her than Clinton 16 or Biden 20.... and that's undoubtedly a good thing.

Edited by mtutiger

People will take no comfort because of 2016, but Harris has ~$100 million more on hand with two months left. 

She also raised $33 mil from small dollar donors this month vs. $4 mil for Trump, another sign of enthusiasm perhaps being on her side

Edited by mtutiger

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Traditionally, maybe, but not necessarily in the Trump era.

2020 was the highest turnout in US history and it elected Biden by 7M.  Before that 2008 was the previous large spike in turnout and the Dems won that.  I like the odds on more turnout favoring the D side. :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

2020 was the highest turnout in US history and it elected Biden by 7M.  Before that 2008 was the previous large spike in turnout and the Dems won that.  I like the odds on more turnout favoring the D side. :classic_wink:

The pandemic, and how each party approached campaigning, had huge impacts in 2020.... not sure how easy it is to make judgments off of that election

59 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The pandemic, and how each party approached campaigning, had huge impacts in 2020.... not sure how easy it is to make judgments off of that election

If anything it affected urban areas more than rural so any negative effect should have hit the Dems harder.

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, and since Harris is a POC and woman (notable she's not running on either) that will be a different electorate.  You can be assured that the people who hated Trump before January 6 will continue to oppose him.  That locks in a lot of very motivated voters.   Having a better brand at the top of the ticket improves the energy of the base.  I think we are going to blow the Trumpists' doors off but there will be shenanigans. 

Edited by romad1