2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I don’t see how Trump can suck up all the media oxygen in America with his antics for the next fifteen months, which he definitely will, and that people will start tuning him out and become too apathetic to vote. Those two circumstances don’t mesh for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I could watch Uncomfortable DeSantis videos all night long...

Turning into a pumpkin after ten o'clock at night might be a problem for a president when the calls come in from the other side of the world all through the wee hours every single day.

DeSantis fires his campaign manager.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/08/us/politics/desantis-campaign-manager-generra-peck.html

Also of note that in an NBC interview DeSantis said Trump lost the 2020 election. That probably won't gain him any support. But there is a dynamic beginning here that maybe has been missed. As the GOP hopefuls start campaigning in earnest, they have to deal with the MSM, and I think they realize they will never get off that first question to any other topic until they admit Trump lost to the interviewer. The question is whether having people inside the hard right GOP like Pence and DeSantis undermining the 'Steal' narrative will actually help deflate it or not where it matters. Maybe not, but it can't hurt.

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

He’s Nixon.  

Do you think Desantis has any friends?  Like old college buddies?  Maybe from the Navy?  

Lord, way worse! 😱

I always thought Nixon did well in public, too well really - he saved his dark side for behind closed doors. Can you imagine DeSantis handling Krushchev the way Nixon did?

He was not graceful physically - e.g. his "V" salutes always looked weird, but aside from that suspicion on the part of us who didn't trust him that wheels were always turning behind the mask, my recollection is that did fine in public settings. Even the "I am not a crook" speech wasn't really badly done considering the stakes and the pressure. Maybe the 'Checkers' speech was a little over the top - but only for its day because in that era pols were not allowed to evidence self-involvement., but that level of self-pity, which earned him a fair amount of ridicule, wouldn't even be noticed in a pol today. More the frustration for those of us who believed in his duplicity that he was pretty good at normal.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, oblong said:

He’s Nixon.  

Do you think Desantis has any friends?  Like old college buddies?  Maybe from the Navy?  

I know of one he had...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ron-desantis-ally-kent-stermon-killed-himself-after-being-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-with-minor

And a literally knew this because a friend of mine lived down the street from him and was facebook friends with this guy and saw some odd facebook postings tagging Ronny D's personal account in the weeks leading up to his death.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Netnerd said:

And people said Howard Dean’s scream was weird…

It was more than weird, it was nearly disqualifying to some. Now you can nominate a presidential candidate who mocks disabled people, dodged a draft but says POWs aren't war heroes, and talks about vaginal bleeding of news commentators and none of that is disqualifying.

Trump and his Maggot supporters threats of violence against the United States of America (one person shot dead already by the FBI... yesterday); theory: Trump isn't even really running for president in 2024, he just wants the platform to issue his threats of violence:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/violence-leading-democracy-expert-says-094501120.html

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Drudge is almost readable again because Matt Drudge is anti-Trump

Yeah I check his site daily. Although too many of the links go to fringe places. I find his use of imagery to be quite troll ish. In a good way.  

another one that was a go to was instapundit.  And James Taranto’s best of the web today.  

54 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yeah I check his site daily. Although too many of the links go to fringe places. I find his use of imagery to be quite troll ish. In a good way.  

another one that was a go to was instapundit.  And James Taranto’s best of the web today.  

I think Andrew Breitbart would have hated what his site became.  He was against bullies.