2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Of course Mittens isn’t going to do anything about it like endorse Harris. 

Mitt tends to mold himself into whatever form he thinks will get him elected. In this case, he's just assuming (in spite of saying he anticipates retribution) that he's not amongst the first group of people who will be affected.

7 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

Mitt tends to mold himself into whatever form he thinks will get him elected. In this case, he's just assuming (in spite of saying he anticipates retribution) that he's not amongst the first group of people who will be affected.

Mittens is retiring. He’s not running so he doesn’t have to mold himself into anything. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I've been to Minneapolis a bunch of times over the years.... the last time I was there it seemed like it was as good as it's ever been. 

Not sure what Gramps is getting at here.

I don't know if you could tell the difference between rural MN and rural MI, but as of a few years ago when we lived there, no question Minneapolis felt different from the SE MI metro. People were more diffident. Also the drinking culture was  stronger, which was supported in the consumption data. I would argue that it's Cities that have developed unique culture more than states. Not least because a city may have or have had a dominant industry that draws a particular kind of worker. A movie/entertainment industry town like LA is naturally going to develop a different cultural set than a manufacturing center like Detroit, or an oil industry dominated town like Houston, financial center like NYC etc. Climate can be a driver also. A place like Minneapolis were you can freeze to death pretty easily if you are not at least a little bit careful leads to a certain level-headedness you don't necessarily get other places.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if you could tell the difference between rural MN and rural MI, but as of a few years ago when we lived there, no question Minneapolis felt different from the SE MI metro. People were more diffident. Also the drinking culture was  stronger, which was supported in the consumption data. I would argue that it's Cities that have developed unique culture more than states. Not least because a city may have or have had a dominant industry that draws a particular kind of worker. A movie/entertainment industry town like LA is naturally going to develop a different cultural set than a manufacturing center like Detroit, or an oil industry dominated town like Houston, financial center like NYC etc. Climate can be a driver also. A place like Minneapolis were you can freeze to death pretty easily if you are not at least a little bit careful leads to a certain level-headedness you don't necessarily get other places.

There is something to the mentality of the people who settled a place being an important factor.   For years the book Seeds of Albion was considered authoritative about the "folkways" of the United States which broadly implies that snooty but moral NE settlers around the Plymouth Rock settlement were different than cash crop-loving (and eventual slave-holding) Jamestown settlers who were different from fringe British Caledonian and Celtic martial types who settled in the Allegheny and Appalachian mountains, never mind the criminals who settled in Georgia.   Fine as it goes but any analysis that ignores the Dutch culture in West Michigan,  the Scandinavian and Finnish culture in the upper Great Lakes not to mention the Polish and Italian culture of the cities.  

It still means a lot that there are variances in place.  The character of Hamtramck is definitely shifting but is that bad?  Its bad if someone says its bad.  Chinatowns were a thing in most cities and now they have to be historical theme parks to protect that character with funding.  Its like keeping Tiger Stadium up as a monument.  Its fine but does it actually serve a public good to do that.  Invest in the good and mitigate the actual bad (crime, excessive vice) vs change as bad (they look different, they eat different food). 

Edited by romad1

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

There is something to the mentality of the people who settled a place being an important factor.   For years the book Seeds of Albion was considered authoritative about the "folkways" of the United States which broadly implies that snooty but moral NE settlers around the Plymouth Rock settlement were different than cash crop-loving (and eventual slave-holding) Jamestown settlers who were different from fringe British Caledonian and Celtic martial types who settled in the Allegheny and Appalachian mountains, never mind the criminals who settled in Georgia.   Fine as it goes but any analysis that ignores the Dutch culture in West Michigan,  the Scandinavian and Finnish culture in the upper Great Lakes not to mention the Polish and Italian culture of the cities.  

It still means a lot that there are variances in place.  The character of Hamtramck is definitely shifting but is that bad?  Its bad if someone says its bad.  Chinatowns were a thing in most cities and now they have to be historical theme parks to protect that character with funding.  Its like keeping Tiger Stadium up as a monument.  Its fine but does it actually serve a public good to do that.  Invest in the good and mitigate the actual bad (crime, excessive vice) vs change as bad (they look different, they eat different food). 

Throw in Greektown.

Hamtramck has definitely changed but it still kept its charm in terms of all the small bars and clubs.  Lots of young people live there, squeezed out by the gentrification of other hipster neighborhoods in Detroit by the trust fund babies from out of state.  You can go in many places most nights there and find good music being played.

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

Throw in Greektown.

Hamtramck has definitely changed but it still kept its charm in terms of all the small bars and clubs.  Lots of young people live there, squeezed out by the gentrification of other hipster neighborhoods in Detroit by the trust fund babies from out of state.  You can go in many places most nights there and find good music being played.

Another thing about the character of a place you bring up.  When it grays.  Totally saps the energy.  You need kids and young parents and even...hipsters.  

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I've been to Minneapolis a bunch of times over the years.... the last time I was there it seemed like it was as good as it's ever been. 

Not sure what Gramps is getting at here.

Forget about MA in 1790 vs. now... in the 50s the song Wake Up Little Susie was banned here. And hopefully Boston of the 1970s vs. now is an improvement.

As someone else said, migrant flights to places in the NE have been arranged by Republican governors. And honestly they wouldn't be destructive if they were organized differently, instead of being used as a political stunt.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

that snooty but moral NE settlers around the Plymouth Rock settlement were different than cash crop-loving (and eventual slave-holding) Jamestown settlers

Sure, and parenthetically, I heard a lecturer once expounding that the difference between Minnesota and Wisconsin was that for some reason a bunch of Massachusetts Puritans had gotten to Minnesota before the Scandinavians and had set a different tone. Migration patterns do leave a mark but I think in general they are more regional than state by state, which was my nit to pick with the original contention. The Scandinavian influence is the same across the whole upper mid-west - didn't make any of those states unique in particular the way I think Detroit/auto industry created an ethos particular to Michigan or Hollywood does for CA. But of course everything is in the mix to different degrees.

Edited by gehringer_2