2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

18 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I post a lot of clips, and I know people get annoyed by Acyn and Yashar Ali and Aaron Astor and Filipowski clips and all

But, at a very basic level, if any of us were conducting a job interview, we would never hire someone who sounds like this. 

They all know who rump is and they already like him, or at least the idea of him, so an interview is not necessary.

Trump is like God in a very basic way: everybody who believes in him has a very personal idea of what he is, or what he'll do, and that he will do all the things they like and none of the things they don't like. You hear this if you've ever listened to interviews with red hats: the red hats who want the deportations are salivating at the prospect of them, and the red hats who don't care for the deportations will say, oh he's just blustering, he won't actually do it. Abortion is another issue like that: the people who want to ban abortion insists that he will sign the bill when it comes to him, and the people who don't want it insists he will veto the bill. And all of this despite what he actually says.

Everyone believes in the personal Trump they have in their head, and while they all might want different things from him, the one thing that connects all of them is that they will vote for him.

• Like 1

Serious question: I wonder how many people will vote for Trump because their preacher told them in church that voting for Trump is a godly act, and that voting for Harris is whatever the evangelical equivalent of a mortal sin is? It's got to be in the thousands in each of the key battleground states.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Serious question: I wonder how many people will vote for Trump because their preacher told them in church that voting for Trump is a godly act, and that voting for Harris is whatever the evangelical equivalent of a mortal sin is? It's got to be in the thousands in each of the key battleground states.

If there are any Godly people in those congregations they aught to report them for being political origizations and have their non for profit status revoked.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

a lot.  Same with wives and husbands.

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Diverting resources to accommodate photo op... Lovely

Far be it from me to defend the Trump campaign, but this happens in every response event, by every party, and politicians at all variety of levels.

Resources are regularly diverted to accommodate VIPs and politicians showing face in the affected area. It's the norm.

I think it's stupid, too, but let's not paint this as unique or particularly heinous when it isn't. Save the outrage for other instances.

2 minutes ago, microline133 said:

Far be it from me to defend the Trump campaign, but this happens in every response event, by every party, and politicians at all variety of levels.

Resources are regularly diverted to accommodate VIPs and politicians showing face in the affected area. It's the norm.

I think it's stupid, too, but let's not paint this as unique or particularly heinous when it isn't. Save the outrage for other instances.

That’s not the issue. Biden and Harris are avoiding the area right now so as to not take away those resources. Trump had to race in for a photo op and hog the resources. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Mittens has already said he isn’t voting or endorsing Trump. We want him to take the next step and endorse Harris or go away. 

the RVAT and Never-Trump folks are working him hard.   The fact that Flake and this lady endorsed Harris is good.  Helps.  I'm sick of the term "permission structure" because you either have moral courage or you don't. 

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

the RVAT and Never-Trump folks are working him hard.   The fact that Flake and this lady endorsed Harris is good.  Helps.  I'm sick of the term "permission structure" because you either have moral courage or you don't. 

I skimmed the article and I didn’t see where she actually endorsed Harris? It seems like she just isn’t endorsing Trump. 

Mittens is retiring. He has nothing to run for. He can endorse Harris. 

Just now, romad1 said:

I'm also aware that courage is a weird thing.  Its a substance that can be finite and it can be malleable and can depend on the injury inflicted already by an opponent.  Liz Cheney and her dad were backed into a corner by Trump's behavior.  Mitt may be thinking (along with George W.) about his kid's or relatives' (George P.) political viability in the GOP going forward. 

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well NOBODY knows more about Hurricanes than he does.  NOBODY.     Not the people that study weather for a living.  He knows more than they do too. 

They're just jealous that they didn't realize they could impact the path of a hurricane with a sharpie first.

• Haha 1