2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Everyone believes in the personal Trump they have in their head, and while they all might want different things from him, the one thing that connects all of them is that they will vote for him.

This is a good observation of the Trump supporter.

Most of the ones I know view him as a Christ-like figure and their "relationship" with him is very personal.

I know a few who actually believe that he is indeed Christ himself.

Gas prices went down - "It is Trump's will."

The Tigers make the play-offs - "Trump works in mysterious ways."

Something bad happens - "Trump has a plan for all of us."

It is the damnedest thing I have ever seen especially since most of the Trump supporters I know are not "religious" in any sense of the word. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

That’s not the issue. Biden and Harris are avoiding the area right now so as to not take away those resources. Trump had to race in for a photo op and hog the resources. 

I do want to point out Micro knows a thing or two about this subject matter. You'd be wise to defer to him here.

If you aren't familiar with his professional resume leading up the reconstruction of the levees in New Orleans and handling many hurricane aftermaths...

Edited by Edman85

I think the average voter will want to see their leaders on the ground, showing they care. Photo opportunity or not. To the average voter and likely to many on the ground, the argument of taking up resources is probably not something they're thinking much about. Visibility seems key and even if Trump is taking photo ops using bricks from a damaged building or throwing paper towels like a basketball, he is still there. I do hope Harris and Biden both visit it soon.

26 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I do want to point out Micro knows a thing or two about this subject matter. You'd be wise to defer to him here.

If you aren't familiar with his professional resume leading up the reconstruction of the levees in New Orleans and handling many hurricane aftermaths...

That’s great, but the issue is Trump showing up in the first place. 

35 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Micro knows more about this stuff than any of us, but to clarify, my point was never the concept of it being wrong for a leader to ever visit a disaster site but rather that visits should take into account timing. I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been in my initial post, but that's it.

Maybe the situation on the ground in Valdosta is different, but at the same time Biden and Harris are being grilled by people for not parachuting into Asheville right now even though local leaders wouldn't want them in there until such time that the situation is stabilized. 

According to the President, he's likely to go to NC this week.... hopefully the VP will go as well at some point.  But at least as it pertains to Asheville and the situation in the mountains, it would be a mistake to go there right now. Politics be damned.

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

here is a Republican endorsement that Harris could get.

That and that of Mike Dewine.

lol:

"Turns out, Vance didn't want to have one-on-one call with Rue — the senator sought a group call with constituents.

"'We didn't trust what that would look like because we were concerned those being brought on may not even be our constituents.' said the mayor ..."

image.png.5cba154d74a1067a6e264f7c770cd315.png

Edited by chasfh