2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

LOL - Where did this guy come from? I can't believe Vance interrupted the moderator to challenge being fact checked.  He sounded like someone trying to do a bad impression of Chevy Chase, who wasn't all that funny in that skit to begin with. Making it obvious that you only agreed to be there if you were allow to lie unchallenged is probably not the best debating strategy!

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I do think with the surprising civility here, Vance helped himself tonight, if not helped Trump. He might be angling for 2028. He’ll lose the red hats if he does.

That was probably goal number one: improve his favorables... they are historically bad.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I do think with the surprising civility here, Vance helped himself tonight, if not helped Trump. He might be angling for 2028. He’ll lose the red hats if he does.

I agree. Bar was low.  He didn’t hurt himself.  Walz has nowhere to go but down so he couldn’t help himself and JD didn’t really hurt himself all that much.  The only potential sound bite from this evening is about Mike Pence. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah, I mentioned it in my post above, but there could be a bit of "Fetterman/Oz" in what just took place there.... the pundits ran after one thing (Fetterman's health / stroke concerns) when the moment everybody remembered (Oz' answer on abortion) was the thing that mattered the most.

Edited by mtutiger

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

A couple of things: JD's a trained lawyer, the guy has "debate team leader" written all over him, Walz has a different background. On that front, it's just a mismatch altogether.... so when you get into that situation, do you play his game, or do you have to take a different tack and play to your strengths?

I don't know if it worked or not, but the overall point is that you aren't going to "outlawyer" a Yale law grad if you have Walz' background and demeanor. You have to do something else.... there was a bit of rope-a-dope in the strategy, and sort of falling back on the policy specifics that are more popular within his ticket's agenda. My guess is it all did not harm.

The second point is that while JD, as a forensic debater, looked the part well tonight, a lot of what he was asked to defend (ie. abortion, healthcare, J6) is *really* difficult stuff to defend. You can be a world class debater, but when given the task of defending Trump's position on abortion of his inability to accept election results, come up short. And I'd argue he did in a number of these exchanges, particularly on abortion and J6.

Edited by mtutiger