2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I won't get on people too hard for going third party now after I did it in '16. I regret that, yes, but one vote did not that election make. I just don't see how somebody can look at these two candidates and say 'Yeah, they suck equally"

I voted Johnson/Weld in 2016. I have no regrets. In fact, in hindsight it looks better everyday with the **** show in Washington. Agreed, most view it as a protest vote that doesn’t really matter most of the time. I get that. 

“Yeah, they suck equally”

The term, “Voting for the lesser of the two evils,” comes to mind here. I guess I’ve voted for the lesser of two evils for years. This time around I can’t do it. There is no way I can vote for either candidate when I don’t believe either candidate is fit. That these two are the only choices we have is a reflection on this country that got us to where we are. 

For what it’s worth, years ago I stood for a state office during a statewide election. I was a registered Libertarian. I received the obligatory 2% “protest vote” at the time. I am now part of the largest registered voting block in the country-unaffiliated. I don’t want my name associated with either of the two major parties. 
I understand the consensus opinion on this but that’s where I am. 

22 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Best compliment I’ve received in some time. Thank you. 

Choice: 

The guy who is vowing revenge (something I have never heard an actual nominee say).    Also the guy who "falls in love" with brutal dictators.   And the guy who is willing to deny much needed disaster relief, not to the Ukraine, mind you, but to a region of his own country because they're from a blue state - and a guy who basically sent people in to kill his Vice President for not breaking the law.   

Or:  I just don't agree with her

That third-party write in nonsense shouldn't even be in play this time around.  Not til we jettison this orange-skinned devil and his moronic base for good.   Liz Cheney herself would plead with you not to write in her name.     She doesn't even agree with much of Kamala's policies, but she knows the absolute chaos that awaits if this goes the other way.      Liz can turn around and run against Kamala in 2028 if she wants. 

41 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I voted Johnson/Weld in 2016. I have no regrets. In fact, in hindsight it looks better everyday with the **** show in Washington. Agreed, most view it as a protest vote that doesn’t really matter most of the time. I get that. 

Covid exposed Libertarianism to me in a big way. My regret kicked in when Johnson came out in favor of antivaxism.

I voted for Weld in the 2020 primary.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Choice: 

The guy who is vowing revenge (something I have never heard an actual nominee say).    Also the guy who "falls in love" with brutal dictators.   And the guy who is willing to deny much needed disaster relief, not to the Ukraine, mind you, but to a region of his own country because they're from a blue state - and a guy who basically sent people in to kill his Vice President for not breaking the law.   

Or:  I just don't agree with her

That third-party write in nonsense shouldn't even be in play this time around.  Not til we jettison this orange-skinned devil and his moronic base for good.   Liz Cheney herself would plead with you not to write in her name.     She doesn't even agree with much of Kamala's policies, but she knows the absolute chaos that awaits if this goes the other way.      Liz can turn around and run against Kamala in 2028 if she wants. 

“Because we are here in North Carolina, I think it is crucially important for people to recognize not only is what I’ve said about the danger that Trump poses something that should prevent people from voting for him, but I don’t believe that we have the luxury of writing in candidates’ names, particularly in swing states,” she said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/09/04/liz-cheney-voting-for-harris-00177434

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Covid exposed Libertarianism to me in a big way. My regret kicked in when Johnson came out in favor of antivaxism.

I voted for Weld in the 2020 primary.

I thought Weld was a reasonable person when he was Governor of Massachusetts.  He actually seemed like a middle of the road Republican, not radical.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Might as well just stay home, then. You could probably get more stuff done around the house or the workplace that way.

Not really.  If he doesn't appove of either candidate, he shouldn't vote them.  He can still make an impactful vote in other races.    

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

“Yeah, they suck equally”

The term, “Voting for the lesser of the two evils,” comes to mind here. I guess I’ve voted for the lesser of two evils for years. This time around I can’t do it. There is no way I can vote for either candidate when I don’t believe either candidate is fit. That these two are the only choices we have is a reflection on this country that got us to where we are. 

For what it’s worth, years ago I stood for a state office during a statewide election. I was a registered Libertarian. I received the obligatory 2% “protest vote” at the time. I am now part of the largest registered voting block in the country-unaffiliated. I don’t want my name associated with either of the two major parties. 
I understand the consensus opinion on this but that’s where I am. 

Other than masterfully triggering a Trump meltdown in the debate, I think she has been really unimpressive.  I am not aware of a single solid proposal from her so far. I am voting for her because she is up against one of the worst known human beings in the country.  As I said before, I don't like to tell people who to vote for.  If you vote for Cheney, that's one vote that's not going to Trump.  

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Other than masterfully triggering a Trump meltdown in the debate, I think she has been really unimpressive.  I am not aware of a single solid proposal from her so far. I am voting for her because she is up against one of the worst known human beings in the country.  As I said before, I don't like to tell people who to vote for.  If you vote for Cheney, that's one vote that's not going to Trump.  

$25,000 down payment assistance on a new home purchase, $6,000 child tax credit, $50,000 tax credit on a new start up business, rolling back Trump tax cuts, restoring Roe v Wade, signing the border bill that will increase border patrol and expedite asylum cases, expanding prescription caps to all people, etc. She talks about this all time and it’s even on her website. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

$25,000 down payment assistance on a new home purchase, $6,000 child tax credit, $50,000 tax credit on a new start up business, rolling back Trump tax cuts, restoring Roe v Wade, signing the border bill that will increase border patrol and expedite asylum cases, expanding prescription caps to all people, etc. She talks about this all time and it’s even on her website. 

OK Thanks.  She sounds like a beauty pageant contestant whenever she answers questions.  Don't worry though.  She has my vote.  

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I won't get on people too hard for going third party now after I did it in '16. I regret that, yes, but one vote did not that election make. I just don't see how somebody can look at these two candidates and say 'Yeah, they suck equally"

I've gotten to the point as well, it's a different mind set and I get it. Didn't feel that way in 2016.

I approach these elections from the viewpoint that, for better or worse, there's two options on the ballot that can actually *win*... For me to feel like my voice is being heard, it leaves me choosing for the lesser of two evils. I have voted GOP on occasion, but since after 2008 (grew up in a really conservative household and shifted after that election), that has largely been Democratic. But others approach it differently, and I cannot say whether I'm unequivocally right on that... The odiousness of Trump, whose character frankly challenges me frequently to the values I learned growing up, makes it harder admittedly.

I will say this though from a purely political and cynical angle, and something I wish more Dems and liberals understood... while a vote flip is a +2, a write-in or a blank line is a +1. I absolutely think it's smart to target disaffected conservatives for actual votes, but we need to accept there will be folks who are not going to get there.

Making the case is good, but being ****ty and indignant about it if someone cannot get there is looking a gift horse in the mouth IMO

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I will say this though from a purely political and cynical angle, and something I wish more Dems and liberals understood... while a vote flip is a +2, a write-in or a blank line is a +1. I absolutely think it's smart to target disaffected conservatives for actual votes, but we need to accept there will be folks who are not going to get there.

yes a write in or no vote better than a vote for Trump.  I don't see it as a wasted vote.  It's like a tie in sports instead of a loss.    

Dropped off my ballot Wednesday morning. My wife was amused that I wore my Federalist TShirt to the polling place.

(The shirt says “If men were angels, no government would be necessary”)

Ive been alternating it with my CW Constitutional timeline shirt

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

About a week before the election Weld actually told people to vote for Clinton and not his own ticket because Bill Weld put his country first.