2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

46 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Nevertheless, he would be fine if Trump were to be president again.

As a white middle class guy, I will most likely will be fine if he is President again.  Other people won't be.  

I don't think it's the end of Democracy if wins, but the fact that he'd like it to be is one of many reasons why I could never support him in any way.   

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

If the vote in 1776's state is with him writing in Liz:

Trump 14,357,129

Harris 13,926,234

It would have been this if he voted for Harris:

Trump 14,357,129

Harris 13,926,235

It would have been this if he voted for Trump:

Trump 14,357,130

Harris 13,926,236

The first and third totals are not the same. Therefore a write-in is not a vote for Trump. I'm tried of the left gaslighting on that.

This isn’t gaslighting. If Stein voters in MI, WI and PA voted for Hillary she would have won. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

In a battleground state like North Carolina, a vote for anyone but Harris is in effect a vote for Trump. 

-or-

In a battleground state like North Carolina, a vote for anyone but Trump is in effect a vote for Harris. 

Do you consider the above statement to be equally accurate? 

36 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

That is a different thing from saying a vote for 3d party is a vote for Trump.

It is a vote for Trump. Trump wasn’t propping up the campaigns of Stein and Kennedy for nothing. They want voters who would otherwise vote for a democrat to vote for 3rd party which is in effect a vote for Trump. Kennedy and Stein have made it their goal to make Harris lose. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

This isn’t gaslighting. If Stein voters in MI, WI and PA voted for Hillary she would have won. 

But a vote for stein was not the same as a vote for Trump. If you say that, then you are either really bad at math or being purposely misleading which could be a form of gaslighting.  Since Chas is pretty good at math, I am going to assume that he was being purposely misleading.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Dropped off my absentee ballot in the mailbox this morning.

All the political ads will stop now right?

LOL, I blasted this exact point on all my social media platforms in case that tweaked any algorithms.

55 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Dropped off my absentee ballot in the mailbox this morning.

All the political ads will stop now right?

Actually, you should get less, if any, political mailers now addressed to you. The smart campaigns will take you off their mail list once they know you turned your ballot in. 

• Like 2

Completing my 30 or so “remember to vote” postcards to targeted Latina Florida voters… to be mailed Oct 9th -Oct 14th.

#Momsvote

#LatinasVotan.

This is a non-partisan project. My part is just to jot a very brief, generic “make a plan to vote” message.

🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

But a vote for stein was not the same as a vote for Trump. If you say that, then you are either really bad at math or being purposely misleading which could be a form of gaslighting.  Since Chas is pretty good at math, I am going to assume that he was being purposely misleading.  

I'd requote everything I wrote a couple of days ago, but again:

I think it is smart and meaningful for Harris's campaign to court disaffected Rs. They will even flip a few votes this time around, just as Biden did in 2020. Particularly in places like suburban Milwaukee, Charlotte, Philly, Raleigh, Detroit, it will matter.

But even if you don't flip a vote but someone chooses to leave the box blank or not show up, that's a win. Just take it and move on... Shaming people further doesn't advance the cause at all... if anything it is counterproductive

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

The situations are different in a number of ways, but Musk reminds me of Rudy Giuliani a lot insofar that there was a point where they could have just proceeded like normal people would in their situations and kept their legacies and reputations and.... just didn't. (I have theories, but we'll leave it at that)

Musk made a conscious choice over the past couple of years to become a political figure, and his reputation will pay a price going forward. Certainly his businesses have.... Twitter is worth far less than when he bought it and Tesla's future is far more cloudy as well.

Edited by mtutiger

5 hours ago, 1776 said:

-or-

In a battleground state like North Carolina, a vote for anyone but Trump is in effect a vote for Harris. 

Do you consider the above statement to be equally accurate? 

It depends on what the percent of turnout is among people inclined to vote Republican versus people inclined to vote Democrat. My general experience is that it s far higher on the Republican-inclined side. So Trump has a distinct advantage there, so voting for anyone that doesn’t help Kamala beat Trump helps Trump.

Look, this is what I think it comes down to: if you vote for a third party candidate, or write in a random name—someone you and everyone else know for a fact has zero chance of winning—in a state that swings either way, then you are essentially saying you don’t think there would be any material difference between Trump being president and Kamala being president.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Look, this is what I think it comes down to: if you vote for a third party candidate, or write in a random name—someone you and everyone else know for a fact has zero chance of winning—in a state that swings either way, then you are essentially saying you don’t think there would be any material difference between Trump being president and Kamala being president.

Exactly. And while it's been fairly argued that shaming people who don't see that difference is bad strategy for the Harris campaign, it NOT bad strategy for their friends and acquaintances to at least try to set them straight. 

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They could very well feel that way. There are many people that are just as scared of the left as you are of the right.  And there are people who are scared of both sides  For example, there a whole generation of youth who are terrified of climate change and they don't think either side is addressing it in a meaningful way.   

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

For example, there a whole generation of youth who are terrified of climate change and they don't think either side is addressing it in a meaningful way.   

and again, you literally have to have zero power of analysis of reality to hold that view. Alas that is exactly true of way too much of the population.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Exactly. And while it's been fairly argued that shaming people who don't see that difference is bad strategy for the Harris campaign, it NOT bad strategy for their friends and acquaintances to at least try to set them straight. 

Shaming family and frinds?  That sounds like a bad strategy to me.  Also, trying to scare them with fake math.  Bad strategy!

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

They could very well feel that way. There are many people that are just as scared of the left as you are of the right.  And there are people who are scared of both sides  For example, there a whole generation of youth who are terrified of climate change and they don't think either side is addressing it in a meaningful way.   

So you believe the idea that Trump as president is materially the same as Kamala is president is defensible?

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It depends on what the percent of turnout is among people inclined to vote Republican versus people inclined to vote Democrat. 

Isn't that sort of what we are discussing though? By all accounts, 1776 is a Republican.... he has historically voted Republican, he would like to vote Republican, he has stated that, at least in this election, he will not vote for Donald Trump. Definitionally, that counts as a negative to Republican turnout. That's a win, take the W and move on.

The bigger piece at play, perhaps something that his experience touches on but is something we will have to wait and see until Election Day is a real phenomena, is that the energy in a lot of GOP areas just doesn't seem to be where it was four years ago or in 2016. Granted IL isn't a competitive state, maybe the feeling is different driving around rural WI or MI, but I'm not seeing the energy here. People are under-indexing the possibility that he slips in the rural Midwest IMO.