2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Isn't that sort of what we are discussing though? By all accounts, 1776 is a Republican.... he has historically voted Republican, he would like to vote Republican, he has stated that, at least in this election, he will not vote for Donald Trump. Definitionally, that counts as a negative to Republican turnout. That's a win, take the W and move on.

I’m talking globally, not personally.

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Shaming family and frinds?  That sounds like a bad strategy to me.  Also, trying to scare them with fake math.  Bad strategy!

On a more global level I would say that shame is something this culture has swung too far away from for its own good. We've moved away from many forms of sexual shaming that needed to be discarded but somehow threw out the baby with the bath water on the social acceptance and even lionization of all kinds or retrograde and anti-social and bigoted behaviors along the way that cultural shaming is a primary mode of keeping in check.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Exactly. And while it's been fairly argued that shaming people who don't see that difference is bad strategy for the Harris campaign, it NOT bad strategy for their friends and acquaintances to at least try to set them straight. 

I guess you can try that with people who are telling you they are voting for Trump (not much to lose I guess), but I'm not sure that shame is the best strategy on someone is telling you they plan to write-in a candidate... there's a risk of alienation that could lead to a worse outcome (ie. pushing them back to Trump)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

On a more global level I would say that shame is something this culture has swung too far away from for its own good. We've moved away from many forms of sexual shaming that needed to be discarded but somehow threw out the baby with the bath water on the social acceptance and even lionization of all kinds or retrograde and anti-social and bigoted behaviors along the way that cultural shaming is a primary mode of keeping in check.

I don't know.  I see people shaming each other all the time on social media and it doesn't work.  It just makes people more stubborn.      

So tonight I was hanging out with a cousin who is from macomb.  Near the end of the night political ads came on as we came inside and watched the michigan game.  During the lamenting of the proliferation of commercials it came out that isn’t voting for trump. He’s a lifelong Republican. He said his mom, he is a cousin by marriage so we don’t know her, ran the macomb gop for years.  The issue for him was abortion overall.  He was the same with the MI Governor race.  He wasn’t a fan of Whitmer.  But no way on Tudor.  I don’t know qnd didn’t ask if he’s voting for Harris. I didn’t ask as the conversation was high level and polite.