2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

47 minutes ago, 1776 said:

This is what concerns me about this presidential cycle. This piece is a balanced look at what isn’t being addressed in the campaigns, a mountain of growing debt!

https://www.wral.com/story/harris-proposals-would-increase-the-national-debt-but-trump-s-would-add-even-more-study-finds/21660778/

Facts are facts. Why bother to address it when history shows so clearly that the going all the way back to Reagan, every GOP admin has blown up the deficit and every Dem admin has at worst had to fight a holding action in response. So there is no question to answer about the impact of your vote on the deficit - it's probably the least at doubt question the candidates could be asked.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 1776 said:

This is what concerns me about this presidential cycle. This piece is a balanced look at what isn’t being addressed in the campaigns, a mountain of growing debt!

https://www.wral.com/story/harris-proposals-would-increase-the-national-debt-but-trump-s-would-add-even-more-study-finds/21660778/

One key difference beside the dollar figure is that, in all likelihood, Kamala Harris would enter office with divided government due to how terrible the Senate landscape is for the Dems this year.

If Trump wins, he likely has the entire legislature, and if the Rs do control both the House and the Senate, the likelihood of any resistance to his plans is very low.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Facts are facts. Why bother to address it when history shows so clearly that the going all the way back to Reagan, every GOP admin has blown up the deficit and every Dem admin has at worst had to fight a holding action in response. So there is no question to answer about the impact of your vote on the deficit - it's probably the least at doubt question the candidates could be asked.

I hadn’t intended for this piece to immediately be partisan…should have known better. Your response would probably play well in congress. Pointing fingers is the norm. Bipartisan endeavors for the sake of fiscal sanity are indeed rare in Washington, on both sides. Neither candidate will touch this issue because campaign promises in return for votes is easier. 

17 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I hadn’t intended for this piece to immediately be partisan…should have known better. Your response would probably play well in congress. Pointing fingers is the norm. Bipartisan endeavors for the sake of fiscal sanity are indeed rare in Washington, on both sides. Neither candidate will touch this issue because campaign promises in return for votes is easier. 

Bankrupting the Federal government to create a crisis that would result in reduction of entitlements that are too unpopular to pass by other means has been a keystone GOP objective for 40 years. It just is. It's just silly or some kind of fantasy to ignore it. The party has been perfectly clear about it. You raised concern about the deficit, that is the fact of the deficit. You can call it partisan if you like, but that's reality and reality is what it is.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

With the usual caveats about early voting analysis, Detroit's return rate here is... something. 

Could just be processing speed, although again that cuts against perceptions too lol

I would also add that, at least my from my understanding, Michigan has made a number of changes (opening mail-in voting, automatic registration, etc.) that make it easier to vote - wonder if one of the impacts of these changes would result in a higher baseline turnout for a city like Detroit that, historically, is really low turnout.

Ultimately won't know until November 5, but it's something to consider.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I would also add that, at least my from my understanding, Michigan has made a number of changes (opening mail-in voting, automatic registration, etc.) that make it easier to vote - wonder if one of the impacts of these changes would result in a higher baseline turnout for a city like Detroit that, historically, is really low turnout.

Ultimately won't know until November 5, but it's something to consider.

Man, it would be interesting if the new people moving into the city raised the engagement level.  Imagine all the hipster young people downtown canvasing.  

45 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Man, it would be interesting if the new people moving into the city raised the engagement level.  Imagine all the hipster young people downtown canvasing.  

When I went to the Tiger game a couple weeks ago, I spent a lot of time downtown towards the Campus Martius area before and after the game. It’s incredible how much things have changed in just a decade there. There wasn’t a lot to do down there back then, and now it’s just swarming with young professionals and restaurants. 

6 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

When I went to the Tiger game a couple weeks ago, I spent a lot of time downtown towards the Campus Martius area before and after the game. It’s incredible how much things have changed in just a decade there. There wasn’t a lot to do down there back then, and now it’s just swarming with young professionals and restaurants. 

they actually had a net gain in population which is remarkable since the last 4+ decades were all decline.

27 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

You know why Campus Martius has so rapidly changed for the better? Because it isn't/wasn't owned by Detroit's most high profile slumlord in Mike Ilitch. You can always tell the parts of downtown or buildings that are controlled more by the Ilitches. Take a look at the District Detroit or Foxtown developments along Woodward. Foxtown never even got off the ground. The District Detroit isn't much better. So far all that has been developed is a taxpayer subsidized arena and the parking lots surrounding it.

I am not sure if this is indicating anything but i just got canvassed for the first time ever, ive lived in very Democratic areas for almost 30 years.   He was collecting information on if and how we intended to vote, and answering any questions about voting logistics i had.   My guess is it was for resource allocation.   I think he was with the DNC but seemed particularly focused on Slotkin.

Good stuff, love to see it.  

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

This was a really interesting read... I still remember Cohn saying at one point in 2020 that recall vote was unreliable, yet many of his colleagues are now engaged in using it to weight samples

basically they are all adjusting their data to get the results they are willing to believe. This is close to the exact opposite of real data driven statisics! So bottom line the polls are just just the best guess of the pollsters as compared to the best guess of anyone else. That a survey was taken is reduced to just for show.