2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

basically they are all adjusting their data to get the results they are willing to believe. This is close to the exact opposite of real data driven statisics! So bottom line the polls are just just the best guess of the pollsters as compared to the best guess of anyone else. That a survey was taken is reduced to just for show.

There are just so many ways it could go wrong, not the least of which as Cohn describes in the second tweet, people misremember and tend to associate their vote with the winner / incumbent. Or also people saying they voted for a candidate and didn't even vote at all!

Really really glad I'm not in that line of work....

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Do they drive Teslas and those stupid pinewood derby trucks in PA? I don't remember seeing any when we were thru there a couple of weeks ago.

I saw a cyber truck in the wild for the first time today. It’s even more hideous in person. Why would anyone want to be seen in one of those? It’s like a PT Cruiser for rich people, but much more cringe. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I saw a cyber truck in the wild for the first time today. It’s even more hideous in person. Why would anyone want to be seen in one of those? It’s like a PT Cruiser for rich people, but much more cringe. 

I saw one too yesterday. It is every bit as ridiculous in person.

The "Hacks on Tap" podcast a week ago suggested it was time for the Harris campaign to pivot from biography to attack.  I was walking past a telescreen in the cafeteria this morning and saw an ad that said flatly Trump means to be a dictator.   

Yeah, they pivoted. 

Now I've tried my best not to take the polls that seriously, but honestly, I've been failing at that. But when Rasmussen, a noted right wing/Republican pollster has Trump only up 2% in Florida, it may just really be that close.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

NYT has been putting out weird polls. The aggregate had Florida Trump +3. No way it is +13. 

Meanwhile the same poll showed Harris increasing her lead nationally. The two things are contradictory. She can't be backsliding massively in FLA while increasing her lead elsewhere by that kind of divergence. Can't happen. Shouldn't pass anyone's smell test.