2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Whitmer won big without the Arab vote. 

I would suggest that immigrants from the old world fall into two categories once they come to the US. Ones that continue to be captured by their old lives and history, and those that want nothing more than to leave what they left behind behind. When a reporter goes to do a story like this it is guaranteed he is only going to see people from the 1st group, but politically an important question is what percentage of a given immigrant population is in either group. In the Arab Muslim community it would be interesting to look at what proportion actually attend at the local mosques vs the total population.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

In the closing days of the election, Trump will have campaigned in California, Colorado and New York. 

There has always been a theory that Trump's popularity actually falls when people see him more, so maybe it's in his interest to hide from the places where he's going to get his votes. 🤷‍♀️

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would suggest that immigrants from the old world fall into two categories once they come to the US. Ones that continue to be captured by their old lives and history, and those that want nothing more than to leave what they left behind behind. When a reporter goes to do a story like this it is guaranteed he is only going to see people from the 1st group, but politically an important question is what percentage of a given immigrant population is in either group. In the Arab Muslim community it would be interesting to look at what proportion actually attend at the local mosques vs the total population.

well, the implication is that a large diaspora community like that in SE Michigan is the former not the latter.   I mean the  IIRC, the Arab Voice of Detroit broadcaster was a well-known Baathist with extensive ties to Sadaam Hussein.  The Shia community is taking notes from the leadership of the church back home and so forth.    

I would hope for more of the latter melting pot where people dissolve into their American grievances and not the ones from back in the old country but some of those never go away.  

11 minutes ago, romad1 said:

well, the implication is that a large diaspora community like that in SE Michigan is the former not the latter.   I mean the  IIRC, the Arab Voice of Detroit broadcaster was a well-known Baathist with extensive ties to Sadaam Hussein.  The Shia community is taking notes from the leadership of the church back home and so forth.    

I would hope for more of the latter melting pot where people dissolve into their American grievances and not the ones from back in the old country but some of those never go away.  

Islam does present unique issues. If as an immigrant a Muslim continues to see themselves as Dar al-Islam in the midst of Dar al-Harb, it's going to be a problem for the US body politic just as Christian nationalism has become. 

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Islam does present unique issues. If as an immigrant a Muslim continues to see themselves as Dar al-Islam in the midst of Dar al-Harb, it's going to be a problem for the US body politic just as Christian nationalism has become. 

thinking conceptually about that.  Christian Nationalists who believe that their blood and soil are being invaded by the others are going to have a different perspective on the guy down the street who meets the description in their liturgy of "the invader". 

Also,  I do think that a lot of very conservative Muslims come to this country and lose control of their kids and then become more liberalized by their kids as they realize the old grievances and prejudices don't matter so much in the grand scheme.  But, that's only some.  

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There has always been a theory that Trump's popularity actually falls when people see him more, so maybe it's in his interest to hide from the places where he's going to get his votes. 🤷‍♀️

These are big states. He’ll be able to find enough people to fill up an arena that he couldn’t find elsewhere. He’s still steaming about his small crowds. It also gives him propaganda because he can say how big his crowds in blue states are and therefore the election must have been stolen. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is a distinct break in the Dearborn population. 

The leaders are threading a line.  Don't endorse, but still vote for her because the other guy is worse.  But they won't explicity say that.

There's been some ads on digital billboards here that say Harris is the best friend to Israel.  THe group behind the ads are also running ads in red counties saying Harris is the best friend to Palestinians.  It's a GOP front.  

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that's exactly it.  It's why Vance is coming to the swing states.  

lol.  I just read on a local NJ news site that Trump will be at Madison Square Garden “later this month”.   Dolan better ask for $$ upfront…

And, what the hell does he think he will accomplish with a rally in Manhattan venue? 😂

9 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

lol.  I just read on a local NJ news site that Trump will be at Madison Square Garden “later this month”.   Dolan better ask for $$ upfront…

And, what the hell does he think he will accomplish with a rally in Manhattan venue? 😂

He’s hoping to squeeze every last dollar out of this campaign grift.  The last big push before Election Day is just the lube he needs to get deeper into the pockets of that glorious Wall St. money that he desires so much.

As for the venue, that’s probably gratis between two buddies.  If anything, JD is paying Trump to show up.    

The scary part is these are more signs that he doesn’t really care about winning the vote and he’s got other plans for how to get into the White House.   He just needs a close enough finish to make whatever claims stick.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

For the last nine years prior to my parent death this year, this was my single biggest issue.  Now, I worry about what might happen to me in my old age.  I have taken good care of myself and also saved my money, but you never knw what can happen and elder healthcare can wipe out svings really fast.  Having Mdicare pay for at leat part of home healtcare would be huge.   

Sorry you had to go through that.  It is tough mentally, physically, and financially. This would have helped me so much with my father.  For the last four years of his life i was his primary caregiver.  for one and a half it was semi long distance and the last two and a half with me in my house.  he had a pension and social security but that wasn't enough to have a caregiver for all the time i had to be away from the house.  he was alone far more than I was comfortable with but what could I do?  i had to go to work and shop.  This would be an incredible boost to all those that have to do this.

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don’t think he’s capable of that kind of advanced thinking. He just wants a big rally in a blue state because he’s still butthurt everyone is laughing at his small crowds. 

Just remember Benedict A Trump is not in charge this time around. The underlings control everything. Trump is just the face of the Revolution, just the brains. Just like on the Apprentice. 

He's too lazy to be any real work.

Is there anything positive to extract from the early voting data that Simon is positing about here? Is it still too early and useless to read into it positively? Could Trump's support just wash us out come election day? The data comes from Tom Bonier and the team at Target Early, which tracks early voting data.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Is there anything positive to extract from the early voting data that Simon is positing about here? Is it still too early and useless to read into it positively? Could Trump's support just wash us out come election day? The data comes from Tom Bonier and the team at Target Early, which tracks early voting data.

Banking votes is never bad.  

3 hours ago, pfife said:

One theory i read on bluesky was that he plans to steal election by throwing it to the House of Reps and so he needs swing house districts  

If an election goes to House, each state gets one vote. An individual House seat only matters if it swings the majority of the delegation of a state from one party to the other - so a house seat in a lopsided delegation like CA would not make any difference.