2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Trump is only up 1.5 without the city of Philadelphia, that's not a good poll for Trump. 

The poll from a couple of days ago of PA-10 (from Susquehanna) looms large IMO.... South Central PA (ie. Harrisburg/York/Lancaster) is a highly populated area and is historically GOP leaning. If they are losing ground there versus 2020, coupled with the counties around Philadelphia and in Allegheny (ie. Pittsburgh), it's hard to offset those losses with what's remaining in the Commonwealth.

Doesn't mean he can't lose, but it's more uphill than I think it gets framed IMO.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Trump's Detroit Economic Club speech was both the BS meanderings of a guy who doesn't have more than a general set of recently assigned talking points and extremely offensive. 

It was popular with people who haven't been in the city of Detroit since 1987.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

It was popular with people who haven't been in the city of Detroit since 1987.

Or for whom the existence of an African American majority population constitutes in and of itself a huge negative. 

More from last night's Obama appearance. Dems need to hammer this home.

My feeling has long been that a certain percentage of men are afraid of women leaders. I'm married to a strong intelligent woman and over the past 45 plus years have watched how she's been passed over for several promotions because of the "Boys Club" in her industry. And with a woman of color it's probably more prominent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

More from last night's Obama appearance. Dems need to hammer this home.

My feeling has long been that a certain percentage of men are afraid of women leaders. I'm married to a strong intelligent woman and over the past 45 plus years have watched how she's been passed over for several promotions because of the "Boys Club" in her industry. And with a woman of color it's probably more prominent

Bill Kristol says it much more succinctly in today's Bullwerk

The more important point is this: If you believe it’s important to defeat Trump, it’s not Obama’s “brothers” who are the problem. It’s my “brothers” who are the problem: white voters.

You want to know why Trump has a decent chance to win the presidency again? Because most white Americans support him. In the latest New York Times/Siena poll, Trump wins white voters by 52 percent to 44 percent.

And while Trump has an almost two-to-one margin among white non-college graduates, he doesn’t do that badly with white college graduates, taking close to two-in-five of that cohort. This is a much higher percentage of support for Trump than among any group of black Americans.

So all credit to Obama for trying to persuade members of his own community, who voted overwhelmingly for him, to turn out as strongly for Harris. It would be nice if others who’d gotten tens of millions of votes for president, such as George W. Bush and Mitt Romney, were also out there trying to persuade those Americans who voted for them—which includes a majority of white voters—to do the same.

But that’s apparently too much to ask.

WASHINGTON—Voters in the nation’s seven battleground states see Donald Trump as better equipped than Kamala Harris to handle the issues they care about most—the economy and border security—yet are divided about evenly over which candidate should lead the nation, a new Wall Street Journal poll finds.

The survey of the most contested states finds Harris with slim leads in Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin and Georgia on ballots that include independent and third-party candidates where they will be offered as options. Trump has a narrow edge in Nevada, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. But no lead is greater than 2 percentage points, except for Trump’s 5-point advantage in Nevada, which like the others is within the poll’s margin of error.

Across the full set of 4,200 swing-state voters, Trump gets 46% support and Harris draws 45%. The survey finds that the race in every state—and therefore the presidential election—is too close to call. If Harris wins the states where she leads in the poll, she would win a narrow majority in the Electoral College.

WSJ 10/11/2024

On 10/10/2024 at 10:00 AM, CMRivdogs said:

I remember having a chat with a Democrat worker in our neighbor about a week or so before the election. She didn't sound very encouraging. Our subdivision had several older Eastern Europeans living in it. They were all going for Trump at the time. Not surprising since on my limited encounters with a few of them (non political) they were all jerks.

Eastern Europe is a hard place for someone to live and be cool.