2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

23 hours ago, mtutiger said:

And then there's this... it's always the part that gets me, he wouldn't be able to keep or hold a job as a normal person... or if he were a member of any of our families we would be finding alternative living arrangements for him.

But as President? Greatest democracy in the world, yet he's better (or the same) as the alternative because reasons I guess. It's farcical.

Maybe it just goes to demonstrate how tens of millions of people grew up with and continue to live in dysfunctional circumstances at home and at work, people who routinely develop and maintain toxic relationships, at which point someone like Donald Trump is actually what a strong leader looks like to them. More people may be coming to that point of view in this kind of honest way than we realize.

7 hours ago, boilerfan said:

This is how they will justify not accepting the election results.  They will point to the polls and say that the results cant be right because we were up in so many polls. 

Yes, and more to the point, they will use it as evidence in their blizzard of lawsuits to get the election overthrown. I think maybe that’s what the rallies at Coachella and MSG are about: look at all the Trump people in these states and we’re losing them? How is that even possible? Sure, this will fail over and over and Trump will lose almost all of these lawsuits, but all he needs is at least one to break through and make it to SCOTUS. It’s a numbers game, sort of like conception—just need one to get through.

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When Trump rips on cities............it's always cities with a large Black population.      It's just his way of saying you'll be overrun by a bunch of "them" - meaning Blacks, which isn't the word he's thinking.     

The same tired old playbook.

9 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Possibly but also White Supremacy is a hell of a drug.

That in particular drives most of the Trumpers I know.

They are scared to death - actually physically afraid - of the "other."

Because of their dysfunctional situations?

Most of the Trumpers that I know - to my knowledge - are not in dysfunctional situations / relationships.

Most have been married anywhere from 20+ years to 60+ years.

As soon as Trump came on the scene they grabbed onto his obvious White Supremacy / Nazi talking points like he was passing out free money.

Most are well educated - some with Masters degrees, etc.

Some are also quite young - voting for Trump because they believe he will Make America White Again.

The young people I know as well as the old have a hatred of the other that is unmatched as unmatched as anything I have ever seen.

And this is coming from someone whose annual Thanksgiving conversation amongst the elder generation was why did the Lions always draft the slow n****s?

I know many people married anywhere from 20+ to 60+ years who are in dysfunctional marriages.

People who love Hitler and Trump are not normal people, and they were not born loving them.They were taught by dysfunctional people while in dysfunctional circumstances and they are passing that on to younger generations in their own dysfunctional circumstances as well. You can’t make them sound normal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Most of the Trumpers that I know - to my knowledge - are not in dysfunctional situations / relationships.

Most have been married anywhere from 20+ years to 60+ years.

As soon as Trump came on the scene they grabbed onto his obvious White Supremacy / Nazi talking points like he was passing out free money.

Most are well educated - some with Masters degrees, etc.

Some are also quite young - voting for Trump because they believe he will Make America White Again.

The young people I know as well as the old have a hatred of the other that is unmatched as unmatched as anything I have ever seen.

And this is coming from someone whose annual Thanksgiving conversation amongst the elder generation was why did the Lions always draft the slow n****s?

This matches and is inline with my white dad. My dad uses the N-word on occasion to talk about blacks. He uses other slurs as well and hates immigrants. The ironic thing is his first wife was Mexican-American and his daughter, my half sister, is part Mexican/Hispanic. My dad hates Arabs, Chinese, and people from South Asain countries have "taken over" the Metro Detroit area. One of his favorite books is The Bell Curve and he likes to pretend to be scientific with his big racism and bigotry. As if there are just genetic, intellectual differences based on race that can't be helped. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This matches and is inline with my white dad. My dad uses the N-word on occasion to talk about blacks. He uses other slurs as well and hates immigrants. The ironic thing is his first wife was Mexican-American and his daughter, my half sister, is part Mexican/Hispanic. My dad hates Arabs, Chinese, and people from South Asain countries have "taken over" the Metro Detroit area. One of his favorite books is The Bell Curve and he likes to pretend to be scientific with his big racism and bigotry. As if there are just genetic, intellectual differences based on race that can't be helped. 

My ex-father-in-law was a huge racist. So bad that when I took my MIL out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant, she asked me what she should order. She had never been to a Mexican restaurant. And my FIL considered himself a foodie. To be honest, I never considered how much a racist would avoid people they hate, for NO reason. Racism is a sign of a poorly educated person, perfect MAGA people.

On 10/11/2024 at 2:51 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I thought Musk was an free speech absolutist?

He wants free speech for MAGA liars and conspiracy theorists. But when people post true facts, actual scientific facts, he wants to quiet them. There's an actual sitting Congresswoman who insists the democrats control the weather. And she's totally serious. The education system in this country has failed several generations.

So, I normally use a VPN and VMs to log in for stuff.  Anyway, I was using Detroit based servers until this last month.  You can't go 2 seconds on Detroit-based internet without a political ad.   Albania isn't having an election are they?

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

He wants free speech for MAGA liars and conspiracy theorists. But when people post true facts, actual scientific facts, he wants to quiet them. There's an actual sitting Congresswoman who insists the democrats control the weather. And she's totally serious. The education system in this country has failed several generations.

They  have put The Onion out of business.  How do you parody ANYTHING anymore? 

18 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Not just facts, either—he quiets people who make fun of Trump or Vance. I started a Twitter account called Bowman Hamel, with a picture of Vance. Within ten minutes, it was locked.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not just facts, either—he quiets people who make fun of Trump or Vance. I started a Twitter account called Bowman Hamel, with a picture of Vance. Within ten minutes, it was locked.

A small account? I've seen bigger accounts messed with but I figured they didn't care about smaller accounts because not as many people see them or retweet their posts.

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A small account? I've seen bigger accounts messed with but I figured they didn't care about smaller accounts because not as many people see them or retweet their posts.

Yup. Apparently they don't want it starting even a little.

16 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

His own running mate detests him. 

Of course he does. Does anyone seriously think that either Vance or the people that put him where he is like Thiel don't see Vance as the real target for the White House given Trump's rate of decline? If Trump does win he better watch his back before he starts down any staircase because Vance and Co. will be more than happy to see his early end.

This is the elephant in the corner that for whatever reason the Dems have chosen not to make an issue but it's just another example of how clueless Trump himself is that he doesn't see that Vance is actually a stealth missile targeted at him by the new GOP oligarchy.

Edited by gehringer_2

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Of course he does. Does anyone seriously think that either Vance or the people that put him where he is like Thiel don't see Vance as the real target for the White House given Trump's rate of decline? If Trump does win he better watch his back before he starts down any staircase because Vance and Co. will be more than happy to see his early end.

This is the elephant in the corner that for whatever reason the Dems have chosen not to make an issue but it's just another example of how clueless Trump himself is that he doesn't see that Vance is actually a stealth missile targeted at him by the new GOP oligarchy.

That seems to be the current conspiracy I'm seeing on line. Get Trump elected, invoke the 25TH amendment and install Vance to carry out all the Project 2025 stuff.